Calorically Dense Food Recommendation
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jerry Cagle
(xclimber) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Calorically Dense Food Recommendation on 07/19/2009 10:36:22 MDT Print View

I recently found a really delicious food that contains (according to the Nutrition Facts Label) 130 calories per 27 gram serving. They're a mini-muffin of sorts called "Aussie Bites". They've got 7g of Fat (3 of those are Sat Fat), 10mg Cholesterol, 35mg Sodium, 15g of Carbs, (2g dietary fiber/7g sugars) & 2g protein.

They're also made with healthy ingredients (Rolled Oats, Honey, Apricots, Raisins, Sunflower Seeds, Flax Seeds, Coconut. They contain no trans-fats either...!

One drawback is that they're not extremely durable, having a tendency to crumble. I haven't carried them on any outings yet, but I suspect that a thin plastic box would offer sufficient protection. Even if they did crumble a bit they are so tasty that I don't think I'd be too upset about it...

I purchased them at Costco, but after doing a google search on them I see that Sam's Club carries them. I also found a number of recipes for making your own.

Edited by xclimber on 07/19/2009 10:39:02 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Calorically Dense Food Recommendation on 07/19/2009 16:35:04 MDT Print View

Crumbled just means less chewing ;-)

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Calorically Dense Food Recommendation on 07/19/2009 16:56:27 MDT Print View

"One drawback is that they're not extremely durable, having a tendency to crumble"

Crumbled food takes up less space. ;)

Jerry Cagle
(xclimber) - MLife

Re: Re: Calorically Dense Food Recommendation on 07/19/2009 21:42:29 MDT Print View

Sarah, Would you consider experimenting with some of the recipes...? The one's I found online use butter, but the ingredients of the store-bought'ns used Non-Hydrogenated Canola Oil... Maybe the butter would add even more calories...???

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Calorically Dense Food Recommendation on 07/20/2009 08:20:02 MDT Print View

Jerry, can you post links to the recipes? I would love to see them!
Butter produces a texture/flavor that is unbeatable but....oil can be used often instead. Why is oil used though in commercial? Price and shelf life. Canola has a long shelf life as well, also has no real pronounced flavor - so you taste the other items.

Jerry Cagle
(xclimber) - MLife

Re: Re: Calorically Dense Food Recommendation on 07/21/2009 07:00:16 MDT Print View

Thanks Sarah! Here you go:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22aussie+bites%22+recipe&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a