Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Long distance hiking with shin splints

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: 10T 524631m E 5034446m N
Long distance hiking with shin splints on 07/17/2009 20:53:24 MDT Print View

Hi all,

I'm about to go on a JMT hike in two weeks and I had recently come down with shin splints - I believe from walking quickly along a slanted rocky shoreline (pronation issues from the slant?) for about 5 miles, about two weeks ago. The pain is almost gone, but is still there (I still have that squeaky/creaky feeling in the tendon area), and I don't want to reinjure myself hiking 15-20 miles a day. Any recommendations to avoid reinjury? Should I tape the leg for prevention's sake? I'm not too concerned with futher pronation issues, just inflaming the tendon further.

Thanks!
Chris

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Long distance hiking with shin splints on 07/17/2009 21:08:33 MDT Print View

I new a guy that hiked a long ways w/ shin splints. He tapped them up. Seemed like he was in pain but it worked.

His legs:legs

Edited by Found on 08/01/2009 12:33:44 MDT.

Charles G.
(Rincon) - M

Locale: Desert Southwest
shin splints on 07/18/2009 07:54:41 MDT Print View

I hiked the JMT last year and had to deal with a shin splint on my left leg from Donahue Pass on. It really hurt at first but gradually got better. By the time I reached Mono Creek I had pretty much forgotten about it. Just take it as easy as you can. It also helps to soak you lower legs in cold creek water whenever the opportunity presents itself.