Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Justin Lichter in Africa

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Justin Lichter in Africa on 07/17/2009 10:31:02 MDT Print View

I am a big fan of Justin Lichter. Currently he is in Africa completing a 'bit' of a thru-hike. However it may be cut short given he was almost killed three times. Fantastic read:

http://www.justinlichter.com/current.html

For those that worry about bears in the back country, consider Lions.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Justin Lichter in Africa on 07/17/2009 10:35:16 MDT Print View

Not "may be" it is cut short. I was really interested in his hike too. I've long thought about a long hiking trip in east Africa. But suspected that it had dangerous components like he faced. Very neat trip.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
Justin Lichter on 07/17/2009 10:57:49 MDT Print View

When I read his post, I couldn't help but think of Jim Whittaker's famous mountaineering line: Getting to the summit is optional, getting back down is compulsory.
The true mark of an adventurer is knowing when to go home so that more adventures may come another day.
I hope he has a safe journey home.

Darren McClintock
(Darren) - MLife
Justin Lichter Africa on 07/17/2009 12:27:42 MDT Print View

I have been following his website for a while now too. I love his pictures for all his past trips. Anytime my mind starts to wonder when I hear a bump in the night, I will now think of that lion and figure whatever it is, it can't be that bad.

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Re: Justin Lichter Africa on 07/17/2009 20:17:41 MDT Print View

Last night I set up my tent and was about to go to sleep when I looked out my tent and saw a lion sitting about 20 feet straight in front of the tent watching me......not a huge problem, until I saw another one trying to be all stealthy and come from behind also.

LOL. That is scary and funny all at the same time.

His trail name "Trauma" suits him well. Sounds like he had the bejesus scared out of him!