Forum Index » GEAR » New Tarptent ;this is the Moment !!!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Not really on 03/24/2010 10:33:06 MDT Print View

No, the Serenity Net Tent and Gatewood together STILL only weigh 18 oz or so. And, in all honesty, in most conditions you don't need a bivy with a Gatewood (especially if you have the bathtub floor fron the Serenity). See the BPL review of it. I'm just paranoid, being a new down convert... :o)

Edited by acrosome on 03/24/2010 11:01:29 MDT.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Gatewood plus bug headnet on 03/24/2010 10:53:16 MDT Print View

Still love my Moment, but . . .

Speaking of the Gatewood:

Something I've been meaning to try instead of spending the $120 for the Serenity Bug net:

Wear by BPL headnet with a brimmed buff to keep the net off my face. The rest of me is protected from bugs by my sleeping quilt, and the headnet will keep the flying bugs off my head

Marc Clarke
(marcclarke) - F

Locale: Front Range of the Rocky Mountains
Re: Tarptent Moment due any day now! on 05/09/2010 00:46:27 MDT Print View

"It has taken a little longer than usual, but I had Henry make a few modifications to make it a little more durable in snow conditions,"

Would you please elaborate? I want to order a Moment, and I have to cope with frequent snow in spring, summer, and fall. Heck, I got 2" of snow along with freezing rain earlier this week.

Update: (With information directly from Henry Shires via e-mail and telephone) I had Henry put an additional tent peg tie-down onto the middle of each long section of the exterior of the tent, four more tie-downs in total. I can use the four extra tie-down points to stake the exterior of the tent down so the wind won't get under it and try to lift up the tent.

Henry also supplied 8" tent stakes at my request instead of the normally-supplied 6" tent stakes. I have added two more 8" tent stakes for the lateral tie-out points on the standard crossing pole.

Edited by marcclarke on 07/07/2010 18:15:49 MDT.

Marc Clarke
(marcclarke) - F

How to Make Tarptent Moment's Two Top Vents Stay Open? on 07/07/2010 17:27:02 MDT Print View

I received my Tarptent Moment today, 59 days after placing my order. Huzzah! I have it set up in the back yard undergoing rain testing.

Tarptent Moment tent undergoing rain testing beneath maple tree in Loveland, Colorado USA

So far the only real difficulty I have encountered is trying to get the two top vents to stay open. No matter what I do, they seem to want to collapse vertically and seal themselves shut with their own Velcro. This happens mo matter how I adjust the elastic bands inside the peak of the tent between the vents.

Hints for how to keep the top vents open, please?

Edited by marcclarke on 07/07/2010 18:26:57 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
New Tarptent :this is the Moment on 07/07/2010 19:06:54 MDT Print View

Hi Marc
Thanks for asking.
Those vents are self sealing by design. The idea is that when you store it they automatically shut so that if you happen to set it up in the rain the next time , water will not get in there.
Or maybe it just happens that way....
To better understand on how to have the best pitch, have a look at the schematic diagrams on this page :
http://www.tarptent.com/moment_2.html
note in particular the angle of the ends .
So in reality it will look something like this :

Once you have the canopy as taught and as smooth as that, the vents will remain open,
Some generic tips :
Pitch the tent zipped up.
Make sure that the pole is spread out and that the pole and ridge line cross each other at 90 degree.
Set it up with all of the guylines fully extended. (then pull in for better tension if needed)
Look at the floor, if it is not flat something is out of alignment.
Moment pitch 1
moment pitch 2
moment pitch 3

Franco

Marc Clarke
(marcclarke) - F

Vents Not Staying Open, Possibly Insufficent End-to-End Tension on 07/07/2010 19:47:29 MDT Print View

Franco,

Thank you both for your suggestions and for your pictures. As I compare my pitch to yours, I suspect that I do not have the end-to-end tension set high enough, as the apex of your Moment's end sticks out much further than mine does (my end poles are pretty much in a vertical plain).

Update: Franco, you 'da man! Yes, getting the end-to-end tension correct caused the apex vents to stay open. Many, many thanks! :-)

Edited by marcclarke on 07/07/2010 21:38:52 MDT.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
rainbow vents on 07/08/2010 13:11:05 MDT Print View

hey franco, i got a Rainbow a month ago and its vents don't seem to be open at all or very little when pitched.. any suggestions/pix? thanks

also where you clip the outside bathtub clips to?

Marc Clarke
(marcclarke) - F

Newbie Moment Tent Question: What Do The Three Bathtub Floor Tie Points Attach To? on 07/08/2010 13:33:28 MDT Print View

I'm afraid I have another newbie question. I see three tie points on the end of the bathtub floor at the door end of the tent floor. To what do they attach in order to pull the end of the bathtub floor upward?Three tie points on door end of bathtub floor, but to what do they attach?

Edited by marcclarke on 07/09/2010 15:29:14 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

New Tarptent ;this is the Moment !!!" on 07/08/2010 16:55:27 MDT Print View

Marc
Not a newbie question at all...
end clips

One corner is easy, it just clips onto the same hook as the pocket.
The other two are waiting for the liner to be released.So at the moment (...) they have nothing to do.
Note that the floor stands up better when the door is zipped up
This is what the liner will look like.
Moment liner

Jason
I will look at the Rainbow next.
Franco

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Rainbow bits on 07/08/2010 18:12:46 MDT Print View

Jason
By outside clips i think you are referring to the corner clips. Those attach to the same webbing that holds the corner tightener.
(I actually clip them on the treatpease line)
That is point 8 in the instruction. Point 8 is a favourite with Henry and that is why he used that twice...
point 8
As for the vents , you are correct. They don't open much at all by themselves.
On the plus side my own Rainbow only has one...
(that is why I had to set the 2010 version up to have a look)
This is one way to fix that.
Vent spreader
vent spreader 1
Make yourself a vent opener. The one in my pictures is a highly sophisticated version made out of cardboard , clear tape and a piece of gaffa tape (reversed) over the ends to give it
some grip.
(in the bush I would use a stick , shove that into a sock to protect the fabric and give it some grip too...)
This will likely fall off if the wind picks up, so it is an automatic device designed to disengage in adverse condition to minimise wind ingress.
(if it is windy you don't need those vents opened up)
The door vent opens enough for me as it is.
Franco

Ryan McCabe
(3Tree) - MLife
moment liner on 07/08/2010 20:31:19 MDT Print View

Hmmm... Will this new liner for the Moment fit into pre-existing Moments????

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Re: Moment Liner on 07/08/2010 20:49:08 MDT Print View

And how much will it weigh, and what are the benefits? I can see it being handy if you are in condensation prone conditions and don't like getting wet from the walls. But will it add much warmth over not having it-enough to justify the weight? That would be the clincher for me personally

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Re: Moment Liner on 07/08/2010 20:54:28 MDT Print View

From what I've heard, you'd need to sew some attachments into the older/current Moments for the liner to attach to.

I'm getting pretty awful condensation in my Moment. No likey.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

New Tarptent ;this is the Moment !!! on 07/08/2010 21:11:40 MDT Print View

The liner will be about 4 oz. Same idea as the one for the Rainbows.
It can attach to the existing Moments but will fit better with an additional two clips.
I think that because of the low stress it should be viable to glue those two clips on to the fabric with a bit of silicone.
(I have yet to test that . I may try it with my ancient Rainbow since I have the liner for that. I just thought of this right now...)
keep in mind to allow as much air flow as possible (keeping the end vents open as well as making sure that the top vents are open too)
A small groundsheet over the vestibule area will also minimise the effect of ground evaporation. Or camp on hard soil...
Franco

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
New Tarptent ;this is the Moment on 07/08/2010 23:26:53 MDT Print View

I had less condensation when I cut my ground cloth to cover the areas under the vestibules.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
RE: Moment on 07/09/2010 01:37:34 MDT Print View

Here's mine this last winter in the mid teen's for temp's and about a foot of snow over night just starting to snow 2nd pic

No condensation and slept like a toasty marshmallow, I LOVE THIS TENT!!

Mark Castagnoli
(mcastagnoli) - M

Locale: NorCal
STICKY MOMENT POLE SLEEVE on 07/09/2010 11:14:36 MDT Print View

I love my Moment too.
One issue I have is that the pole is somewhat difficult to run through the sleeve when setting up the tent. It has been this way since I got it. Could be a batch thing with the pole sleeve material.

Any one else have this issue?

Any suggestions for making it slippery?

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: STICKY MOMENT POLE SLEEVE on 07/09/2010 11:18:53 MDT Print View

Mark, is it seam sealed? I noticed that when I sealed my DR ridge line, it became more difficult to slide the pole through due to the increased friction caused by the silicone that seeped into the sleeve.

Jennifer W
(tothetrail) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal.
Re: New Tarptent ;this is the Moment on 07/09/2010 11:43:36 MDT Print View

Thanks Joe, I'm going to try that.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

New Tarptent ;this is the Moment !!! on 07/09/2010 16:55:13 MDT Print View

The trick with sleeves is to push the pole in downwards. That is lift the entry point up and push the pole down in it.
As in this clip :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWZQKivY2SA
Franco