Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Full size DSLR on the trail
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Gealy
(surnailz) - F

Locale: White Mountains
Camera Holster on 07/21/2009 13:27:29 MDT Print View

I know I'm about to reference a terrible film, but oh well. In 'Vertical Limit' the main character is rock climbing at the very beginning of the movie. He takes a few pictures with an SLR camera, and then holsters it on what seems to be a metal clip on his harness, before continuing his climb. I'm wondering if anyone else has heard or seen one of these before as the only place I've seen one is in this movie and it seems like an interesting item for keeping a camera at-the-ready.

For those who have not seen the movie, here is the opening clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqXUQoHzTvI

-jim

Jeremy Gustafson
(gustafsj) - MLife

Locale: Minneapolis
RE: Camera Holster on 07/21/2009 14:42:23 MDT Print View

Haven't used it obviously since it's not available yet, but thinking about getting it when it becomes available... http://www.spiderholster.com/

I think one would need a pretty heavy belt to support it. Although you could obviously use the hip belt on your pack.

Edited by gustafsj on 07/21/2009 15:37:50 MDT.

Jeremy Gustafson
(gustafsj) - MLife

Locale: Minneapolis
RE: Camera Holster on 07/21/2009 15:01:13 MDT Print View

Here's another option that I just came across doing some google searches for holsters. Weighs 11 oz. Pretty ingenious idea.

http://www.holdslr.com/

Andy Howell
(ecotrend)
Cameras on 07/22/2009 09:43:10 MDT Print View

Like Chris I always carry a DSLR on long hikes and treks. People laugh at the weight but they always complement on the photos!

I find the simplest way of carrying them is (again like Chris) bandalier style across the chest. The camera is secure and it is reasonably easy to access the case on the move.

There are lots of different makes. Moisture is not as big a problem as many would think although on a recent walk across Scotland days of torrential rain left the inside of my case cold and I found problems with fogged lenses.

If you want really good images you probably do have to carry the weight. But that's why we reduce the weight of everything else!

Frank White
(frankweldwhite) - MLife
Re: olympus on 08/06/2009 07:18:20 MDT Print View

Hi Fred,
Did you get the OMM in Europe? I have the Oly e-620, with the 12-60, and it seems that the OMM chest pouch might be a perfect carrying solution. I would love to find one!

James Gealy
(surnailz) - F

Locale: White Mountains
Re: Spider Holster on 08/06/2009 13:02:18 MDT Print View

I gotta say that spider holster looks very cool! I think that's exactly what I would like to get. Thanks!

-jim

Tim Manchester
(sagecoast) - F

Locale: Carlsbad, Ca
BH combo idea on 08/07/2009 11:21:45 MDT Print View

This combo has intrigued me for a while. Pretty sure it would work for my 5d and 24-105.OpTech strapStabilizer

Camera ready to use while on the move, and not much wasted weight.

John Guidi
(Rocket327) - F
Another camera carry option on 08/08/2009 13:18:31 MDT Print View

While I find the bandolier style (with the Upstrap) comfortable on my hikes with a heavy DSLR and f2.8 zoom lens, this new chest-mounted system is intriguing me and getting good early reviews.
www.cottoncarrier.com