Forum Index » GEAR » Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo question

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Poston
(dgposton) - F - M

Locale: Texas / Colorado
Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo question on 07/13/2009 19:44:31 MDT Print View

I just got my SMD Lunar Duo in the mail. I have to say, I am pretty impressed by the spacious of this tent.

One question I have is regarding the fly in the vestibule area on the sides. Is the bottom of the vestibule supposed to be secured to the stake that supports the trekking pole? There was no guyline provided for this purpose.

Edited by dgposton on 07/13/2009 19:45:15 MDT.

John Carter
(jcarter1)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo question on 07/13/2009 22:08:30 MDT Print View

There should be a black guyline that is attached under the apex of each awning. This runs the length of the awning, and the awning connects to the sliding hook on the guyline. The end of the guyline then gets staked down.

You are thinking of more typical tents where the guyline begins at the bottom of the awning. SMD has kind of a unique design here, one that I prefer. I think the guyline running the length of the awning, underneath the awning, helps to keep the whole awning a little more taut. It also lets you push the awning up for more views/ventilation and you can select either awning (or both) to roll up.

Now for a question of my own: does anybody have advice on how to tieout the extra corner guylines for high wind? Does simply staking them to the ground help much, or do you use a contraption of sticks/trekking poles?

William Puckett
(Beep) - F

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes
Re: Re: Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo question on 07/14/2009 09:23:27 MDT Print View

When I've used the extra tie out points, I scrounged some sticks from the campsite area that were about 2 feet long and used them to angle the cord more-or-less straight out (parallel to the ground) to the top of the stick and then down to the tent stake.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
SMD Lunar Duo - Extra Tieouts on 07/14/2009 12:58:48 MDT Print View

I just use my buddy's hiking poles to support the extra tieouts. There are always two of us (thus four poles) when we take the Duo and it puts the other two poles to good use.

David Poston
(dgposton) - F - M

Seam sealing tips? on 07/15/2009 23:00:31 MDT Print View

I don't want to make it any more complicated than it has to be, but are there any tips before I start seam sealing away? I was told by Brandon Moak to seam seal the threads that connect the no-see-um mesh to the silnylon canopy. I assume this means all the way around? He also suggested I use a plastic syringe and premix the SilNet with a bit of mineral spirits prior to application. If anyone has tips from experience, please offer them.

I also need some advice on applying SilNet to the tent floor and/or my BAIAC pad to reduce slippage.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Seam sealing tips? on 07/15/2009 23:27:21 MDT Print View

Search the treads- there are plenty on the subject

David Poston
(dgposton) - F - M

Lunar Duo bathtub floor on 07/20/2009 09:09:49 MDT Print View

Does anyone have an issue getting the floor to act as a true "bathtub" in the Lunar Duo? It seems like it would help to have the bottom of the corners staked out to get them taut. Also, I have concerns about the elastic wearing out with time. Thoughts? Maybe attaching loops to the bottom of the corners and connecting them to the 4 corner stakes via guylines might help?

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo question on 07/20/2009 09:50:04 MDT Print View

I've read that elastic works better for that.

David Poston
(dgposton) - F - M

Add elastic? on 07/20/2009 15:13:55 MDT Print View

Were you speaking of the elastic currently on there which connects the fly to the top part of the "bathtub", or adding elastic to the bottom portion to keep the bathtub floor held to the ground?