November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
No California - 7 mi backpacking then fishing
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ny-Ann Nolasco
( - F
No California - 7 mi backpacking then fishing on 07/12/2009 23:56:35 MDT Print View

My bp'ng partner and have gone on several backpacking trips where our goal was to have a lighter load each time (and of course to make it to our exit point in time).

However, this time, we wanted to try a different approach in our backpacking goal.

We'd like to try to hike maybe 6-7 (average) miles in, set up camp by a lake or river then just hang around there for the day.

We're looking for a trail with the following factors:
1. 6-7 miles in
2. Ends at a lake for fishing (beginner fisherman/woman)
3. Great day hikes in the area
4. North California. We live in SF Bay Area.
5. Weekend trip (not a long weekend)
6. Most importantly, we do NOT want to stay in a campsite. We'd still keep the 100 ft distance from the water from our tent.

Any suggestions? I wouldn't think that backpacking and fishing combined is a rare subject, but I haven't been able to find trails that specifically had fishing as an objective (keep in mind we're beginners at fishing).

Thank you for any help.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
No Cal-Backpacking then fishing on 07/13/2009 07:52:00 MDT Print View

Check out Kinney lakes off HWY 4 at the PCT. Very easy to get too and good fishing also-Goodluck.......

joseph peterson
(sparky) - F

Locale: Southern California
No California - 7 mi backpacking then fishing on 09/16/2009 16:28:12 MDT Print View

It is on the east side, but Hilton Creek lakes was a fun 4 days. It is up above Toms Place. 5 miles in, easy hike, and great fishing.