Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
4 gram Ti foil pot stand & windscreen
Display Avatars Sort By:
Robert Miller
(procab) - F
4 gram Ti foil pot stand & windscreen on 02/12/2006 16:13:39 MST Print View

It's on FIRE!

This is version 1.1 of a Ti foil pot stand / windscreen design I made. Unfortunately it has some bugs / features that will prevent it from being deployed in the field. Lets just say it has some stability problems on any surface less flat or firm than my garage floor.

View inside

Here is an inside view showing the pot supports. The entire thing is made from a single piece of Ti foil.

Version 1.0 had a circular windscreen. The creases in the perimeter were an attempt to increase rigidity.

Version 2 & 3 are on the drawing board and should be about 6 grams. Unfortunately I only have one more length of foil...

Robert

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: 4 gram Ti foil pot stand & windscreen on 02/13/2006 19:48:14 MST Print View

Hy Robert. Cool. I'm amazed that that foil can hold a pot of water even ON a flat surface! Looking at the design though... I'm thinking that a similar design made with the same dimensions out of disposable aluminum cookie sheets with tent stake supports would weight no more than 7-8 grams (not counting the stakes) and be about 4 times more stable. It might melt that close to the flame tho'... so you might have to make it bigger. Mine is 10 grams... but it's a lot bigger. Check it out if you want... here

Edited by davidlewis on 02/13/2006 19:50:14 MST.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Alternate Foil? on 02/14/2006 05:09:56 MST Print View

titaniumgoat.com sells a thicker version of ti Foil that *might* work better for you. Slightly thicker = slightly heavier but probably a better match to what you're trying to do...

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Re: Alternate Foil? on 02/14/2006 13:00:24 MST Print View

Very cool!!! This is actually a LOT thicker... like 5 times thicker. The BPL foil is 0.001". This foil is 0.005" It would probably be heavier than 0.004" aluminum cookie sheet foil... but it would be a LOT stronger and more heat resistant... so I could make my windscreen a little smaller to compensate for the extra weight without having to worry about it melting from being too close to the flame... of course... you still need to allow enough room for the flame to breathe... esp. with Esbit.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Re: Re: Alternate Foil? on 02/14/2006 13:06:43 MST Print View

Actually... I just checked out that site again and it lists the weight... 2.25 oz (64 grams) for a 12"x12"x0.005" sheet. Ouch. That's way heavy. What I would really like to find (without having to buy a huge amount from a steel supplier) is 0.002" Ti foil. The BPL stuff is great for a windscreen alone... but it can't support any weight (in real world conditions) as a windscreen / stand combo.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Other foil ideas on 02/15/2006 06:49:39 MST Print View

David,
McMasterr Carr has .002" Stainless Foil, downside is that stainless is denser than titanium, upside is that it has the same strength / volume. If you don't want to get a big roll, they sell it as 'bags'.