How far does your hipbelt wrap around you?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Testa
(MichaelRedbeard) - F
How far does your hipbelt wrap around you? on 07/09/2009 03:13:40 MDT Print View

How far should a hipbelt wrap around you. I mean where should the end of the pads stop. Should they span out all the way to the naval just before the click of the buckle? Should they span to the outside edges of your abs/inner obliques? How far do your hipbelts wrap around you, the actual padding part?

Edited by MichaelRedbeard on 07/09/2009 03:14:52 MDT.

Derek Goffin
(Derekoak)

Locale: North of England
How far does your hipbelt wrap around you on 07/09/2009 06:56:53 MDT Print View

I think that it depends on the hip belt but for most if the pads cover the front crest of your hips with a bit of wrap around then that is all that is expected. If they are meeting at your navel then they are not really where they were designed to be but might still be OK.
Aarn packs have a "front hip crest" shaped area between a firm back part of the hip belt and a softer mesh front part that is designed to sit and wrap round the hip crest. That is very comfortable if you get the adjustments right.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Locale: North East
Re: How far does your hipbelt wrap around you? on 07/09/2009 07:44:15 MDT Print View

My hip belt stops about an inch and a half past my iliac crest..I think. I don't have it around to test, but when I reach down as if to adjust it, that's where my hands go! I will get an accurate measure later to see if I guessed right.

I've wondered this same thing though, but I pretty much concluded that as long as the weight is placed over my hips and the zipper to my hip belt pocket is in a convenient location, I'm good.

Edited by arichardson6 on 07/09/2009 07:46:09 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
How far does your hipbelt wrap around you? on 07/09/2009 09:41:29 MDT Print View

Technically 3" past the mid point of the illiac crest (on each side). For UL packs with sub 20lb weights, this is really a none issue.