Packrafting Gear List - and first post
Display Avatars Sort By:
Gregory Topf
(notoriousGRT) - MLife

Locale: PNW / Switzerland
Packrafting Gear List in profile - and first post on 07/08/2009 10:31:56 MDT Print View

Hi everyone,

I will be packrafting and trekking in the Bob Marshall Wilderness during the second week of August this year - my first lightweight (but not ultralight) Summer. I can't believe I am carrying a boat, and still substantially lighter than I have been in the past.

I have read many posts on the forums here, and am amazed by the expertise. I would really appreciate some feedback on my gear list, which is posted on my profile.

I would especially be open to recommendations on my shelter and sleep system, as I have a tarp, bivy, emergency bivy, bag, and quilt....not sure which configuration to go with unless driven by suboptimal conditions. I listed all of what I have, with the items to be left behind in green highlight.

Cheers to all...

PS and thanks to Meir Gottlieb for the 2005 gear list template which I have shamelessly pirated and modified.

Edited by notoriousGRT on 07/08/2009 10:34:08 MDT.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Packrafting Gear List in profile - and first post on 07/08/2009 12:08:34 MDT Print View

I'd take a look at the WS1-IPR course document for ideas. I'm afraid you might be light on insulation for your time on the water.

Edited by simplespirit on 07/08/2009 12:09:04 MDT.

Gregory Topf
(notoriousGRT) - MLife

IPR attended on 07/08/2009 15:29:35 MDT Print View

Actually I attended the IPR course in June...ideas noted :-)

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Re: IPR attended on 07/08/2009 15:34:43 MDT Print View

I'm going to be up there in Aug helping instruct that IPR course and plan on having 2 layers for my legs (thin neoprene + splash pant) and 3 for my torso (thin wool + thin neoprene + splash jacket). This is based on what people were using at the instructors course in May where the mean temps were similar. Of course it's 40 in Bozeman right now so the neoprene thickness might increase some if the current patterns persist.

Gregory Topf
(notoriousGRT) - MLife

Conditions on 07/08/2009 15:58:21 MDT Print View

I imagine conditions (flows) will be a bit more manageable in August than they were in May, eh? I don't plan on getting toooo wet based on the rivers I'm running, so a thermally efficient when wet merino layer should suffice if the weather's OK. That's actually what I used at IPR in June for the float portion of the trip, with Spring flows still in effect and temps in the 70s. Of course, if it's going to be cold/rainy out I would add insulation and splash protection accordingly.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
shoes on 07/08/2009 18:31:43 MDT Print View

Five.Ten shoes are really heavy for their virutes, though the rubber is really good.

I did a trip in the Bob last August, and night temps were quite nice. You could definitely get away with the lighter side of your sleep options.

Steve O
(HechoEnDetroit) - F

Locale: South Kak
packraft list on 07/08/2009 19:16:12 MDT Print View

Thats a killer list you have there.

I don't see anything missing. Although my personal preference would be to bring more toilet paper (assuming you included it in your 2oz "assorted toiletries") for a week long trip. Or are you using a different technique?

You can shave some weight in a couple areas:
-As mentioned already you might target the shoes.
-I'd also recommend looking at your pack. I would consider the GoLite Pinnacle if you can get comfortable with a frameless setup. The Pinnacle weighs approximately 19oz less. At least the prior edition did (not sure if they bloated the new one like they did with the Jam).
-Also consider ditching the drysack and stuffsack for a trash compactor bag (used as a pack-liner) and loose another 11oz. Assuming you aren't going to swim bad LOL.

What rod/reel/line are you using in your fly setup? I'm just about to buy a setup and could use some advise.

Edited by HechoEnDetroit on 07/08/2009 19:37:00 MDT.

Gregory Topf
(notoriousGRT) - MLife

Rod Reel on 07/09/2009 07:11:53 MDT Print View

No particular lightweight revelation on rod/reel setup. I am going for the fishing as much as anything and taking an 8'4" Orvis TLS Power Matrix 3wt with a Batenkill Bar Stock reel. I am actually more concerned with managing an assembled rod/reel while in the packraft than the weight. it will be awkward. If weight and compactness were the driver for me I would go Tenkara all the way.

Matthew Monson
(alpha60) - F
astral pfd on 07/16/2009 17:30:43 MDT Print View

Is the Astral Bouyancy really only 8 ounces?

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Re: astral pfd on 07/16/2009 17:42:51 MDT Print View

Probably should be 1 lb 8 oz.

I have the same one.

Edited by simplespirit on 07/16/2009 17:43:30 MDT.

Gregory Topf
(notoriousGRT) - MLife

weights on 07/17/2009 03:42:57 MDT Print View

Just picked up a scale the other day...am refining unit weights...looks like the shoes and pfd are a bit heavier, other items within tolerances...will repost list over weekend.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Re: weights on 07/17/2009 04:43:15 MDT Print View

Where did you see a listed weight of 8 ounces for the V-Eight? I've never been able to find a published weight on it.

Gregory Topf
(notoriousGRT) - MLife

weights on 07/17/2009 11:12:53 MDT Print View

I scoured the www to find a weight on the V8 (which is a sweet PFD) but to no avail. The fact that I was so far off on my estimate shows the importance of a precise scale, eh?

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Re: weights on 07/17/2009 11:16:32 MDT Print View

Haha. Yeah, I did the same and found nothing either. The lighest PFD according to Ryan J. is the Stormy Seas which is an inflatable and 14 oz. 10 oz heavier for a more featured foam model doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
bear spray/bull trout on 07/19/2009 18:33:23 MDT Print View

if I missed it on your list I apologize, but I'd think about carrying some bear spray (if you aren't already planning to do so). Not sure where your floating, but both the entire BM complex is very prime grizzly country. When I worked in the Middle Fork I could not complete a ten day hitch w/o bumping into at least one grizzly.

Also if you happen to be floating the Middle Fork, consider throwing in a couple of large streamers- there are 8-10 lb bull trout that can be a heck of a lot of fun :)

Gregory Topf
(notoriousGRT) - MLife

counter assault on 07/20/2009 14:10:36 MDT Print View

Hi Mike - the recommendations coming from someone who knows the region as you must is appreciated. I do have a current canister of bear spray in possession and on the list. Especially since I am going solo and covering some territory, I consider it a must have for this trip even if I hope to be smart enough not to need it in the end.

As for the bull trout, I believe they are illegal to fish for now after July 31 in this year's regulations. However, cutthroat will also hit streamers, so one never knows...it has happened before.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
re: counter assault on 07/21/2009 20:51:02 MDT Print View

^ ah good deal :)

I've fished for small cutthroat to eat and have on occasion been reeling one in only to have a bull trout emerge from nowhere and engulf the small fish! That will give you a little start. They are a voracious predator (I say that w/ the utmost respect- a really neat fish)

You'll have a great time, some of the wildest country in the lower 48.