Catch 22: Purging addictions of the long distance hiker
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brett Tucker
(blister-free) - F

Locale: Puertecito ruins
Catch 22: Purging addictions of the long distance hiker on 07/07/2009 20:05:21 MDT Print View

"The first step toward recovery is acknowledging you have a problem."*

22 pairs of shoes - trail runners, sandals, running shoes, miscellany, new, used, disintegrating, some over a decade old - are now in boxes, en route to good will. Sadly, astonishing even to me, there are 22 other pairs of shoes still in my possession. All of them in my size. This is all vaguely anguishing. I just have to believe it's for the better - a step in the right direction for one who never threw away a shoe that had an ounce of life or soul left in it.

*(Counter posit: "Old boots never die, they just collect dust in the basement while reflecting upon their glory days, roaming free in the far flung hills.")

fully half of my shoe collection en route to good will

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Catch 22: Purging addictions of the long distance hiker on 07/07/2009 21:55:34 MDT Print View

Phew! You're well on your way to aping Imelda Marcos, lugged sole style.

It's one of the things I strongly suspect and feel critical about: this unflagging need for more items in the gear list. In many ways we ultralighters may have less pounds on our backs, but our closets must surely carry tons more weight than most traditional backpackers' closets. We're obsessed, and from an all-around standpoint we are actually HEAVIER than others! We know how to cut the weight from our packs, but not from our lives.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
RE:Catch 22: Purging addictions of the long distance hiker" on 07/07/2009 22:02:39 MDT Print View

Don't suppose you wear a size 15? I'v been real good as of late letting go of stuff, Want a 7.5 pound Gregory pack?

John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
re: purging on 07/08/2009 08:15:43 MDT Print View

>>>It's one of the things I strongly suspect and feel critical about: this unflagging need for more items in the gear list. In many ways we ultralighters may have less pounds on our backs, but our closets must surely carry tons more weight than most traditional backpackers' closets. We're obsessed, and from an all-around standpoint we are actually HEAVIER than others! We know how to cut the weight from our packs, but not from our lives.<<<

I actually decided this spring that I didn't really need several gear options for each possible contingency and started simplifying my gear list and selling some things off on the forums/ giving stuff to friends.

Though I'm still clinging to several redundant items that I just can't seem to let go yet....

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: re: purging on 07/08/2009 08:46:56 MDT Print View

If you think you're gear closet is bellowing now, wait until you have 4 kids: I'm surrounded by 11 sleeping bags, at least that many pads, 8 tents (not including tarps), a dozen camp stoves, enough cookware to stock a kitchen in what colloquially is referred to as "daddy's office."

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Catch 22: Purging addictions of the long distance hiker on 07/14/2009 03:04:44 MDT Print View

Not just long distance hikers...

I remember reading an article (National Geo?) that compared the possessions of a typical American family to those around the world. 'Astounding' does not even begin to describe the differences...

Justin McMinn
(akajut) - F

Locale: Central Oklahoma
Comparing Possesions of Typical Families Across the World on 07/14/2009 09:55:55 MDT Print View

@Ben

Could it have been for the book Material World: A Global Family Portrait

Nova's Material World web page

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Catch 22: Purging addictions of the long distance hiker on 07/14/2009 13:38:22 MDT Print View

My girlfriend has you beat by a long shot :)