Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sleeping bag for Algonquin Park, Canada

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Wiles
(benjita) - MLife

Locale: Annandale, VA
Re: Strategy on 07/09/2009 11:33:59 MDT Print View

Guys,
Thanks for the grea pics and trail ideas. I'll regroup with my buddy to discuss.

I've decided on either the WM Caribou or the MontBell U.L.Spriral Down Hugger #3. I have found both for $230 online. I'll post a WTB in Gear Swap first.

Both seem to be accurate in regards to temp. I will also have clothes that I'll be able to add if needed.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Re: Strategy on 07/09/2009 13:51:09 MDT Print View

Steve Evans,

Yes that's the trail I'm talking about. Did you guys complete the loop or just backtrack to the trailhead on day 3? If I'm doing a 2 nighter on this trail I like to spend night 1 at Maple Leaf lake like you did, but then on day 2 I use the GPS to bushwack across the loop and I camp with about 4km left to the trailhead and then it's an easy day 3. Bushwalking is fun and there are some cool meadows, streams etc that you encounter...it's always an adventure.

Original poster, not all of the trail is shown on Steve's map....there are a bunch of Y's that enable you to choose loops ranging from about 25kms up to about 90kms if I recall correctly. The further in you get, the better it gets.

Ben Wiles
(benjita) - MLife

Locale: Annandale, VA
Re: Strategy on 07/09/2009 14:19:36 MDT Print View

Awesome. Thanks for the heads-up!

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Re: Re: Strategy on 07/10/2009 06:40:38 MDT Print View

Hey Dan, that trip was a little bit less of an adventure then most...main priority was hanging around the campfire and drinking beer. We backtracked after the second night and purposely kept the days short but it was still tough on the third day...reminded me of my youth. :)

I'll have to keep the days even shorter on my next beerpacking trip.

As for the map, we did only a very small portion of what is available. There are three interconnecting loops above the first one and i think it's in the range of about 125 km or so...maybe more.