Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » portion of TRT july 13-16

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dylan Taylor
(nevadas) - F

Locale: California Coast
portion of TRT july 13-16 on 07/06/2009 14:21:24 MDT Print View

i am planning on doing up to 100 miles on the trt (conditions and conditioning permitting) from monday to thursday.

starting point would be spooner summit and ending, if possible, back at tahoe city. i did the first potion last summer and would like to finish the trail this year.

of course, to do 100 miles we would have to log 30 mile days. if that happens, great; if not, there are plenty of places to bail out and hitch hike back to the cars.

i will be leaving early morning monday and will want to start as early as possible. most likely, it would be around 10 am b/c of drive time, etc. then come out late thursday. we can shuttle or drive together, if you live along the way.

i know its a long shot and i have been planning on doing the whole trail as a solo trip but i thought i would throw it out there to see if anyone is game. i find it is easier to go longer when you are with someone.

hit me up if you are interested.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
portion of TRT on 07/07/2009 10:13:11 MDT Print View

hey dylan.

you are going clockwise from Spooner to Tahoe Meadows, right? if i hadn't already done 110 odd miles on the TRT last fall i'd try to tag along.

i did 3.5 days at 33 mpd last September, and it was doable, but made for very long days, especially with the reduced day length. i went counter-clockwise from Desolation around to near Tahoe City. ended up with a bruised foot (or something like that) which persuaded me to bail and hitch back to the car.

you'll be fine doing 100 i'm sure - just get up early and hike late. you know the drill. the trail going clockwise from Spooner should seem pretty easy - a long haul up to near Freel, but lots of downhill and easy cruising through desolation. another good haul up, and then a long walk down into Tahoe City. no worries.

i'm planning on trying that Desolation Death March again soon, and want to do a 4-5 day hike in Trinity Alps - the "High Route" see http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/talps_high_route&page=1

Let's try to hook up for a hike this summer. Good luck on the TRT!

Dave