Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » one ounce pack

Display Avatars Sort By:
mark henley
(flash582) - F
one ounce pack on 07/06/2009 05:46:19 MDT Print View

Last year I developed a 1 ounce Cuben fiber pack, made from one yard of material.

I decided to follow Glen Van Peski's example of the G4 pack and try to give something back to the lightweight hiking community. You can have the instructions for free.

You can find the instructions here:

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/myog.html

Please enjoy responsibly.

Edited by flash582 on 07/06/2009 05:48:22 MDT.

Patrick Caulder
(pcaulder) - MLife

Locale: SouthEast
Nice on 07/06/2009 06:10:04 MDT Print View

I must say that is pretty impressive.

Gary Boyd
(debiant) - F

Locale: Mid-west
Thanks Mark.... on 07/06/2009 07:19:29 MDT Print View

This is exactly the type of project I was looking for for my first MYOG project, something functional that wont take up a LOT of very expensive fabric. I've only sewn some stuff sacks up to now, and I would like to make something that I can truly enjoy on the trail.

Derek Cox
(derekcox) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Thanks Mark.... on 07/06/2009 10:09:41 MDT Print View

Looks cool. I'm hoping someone will follow these directions and post some more pictures up of the process and finished product. Thanks Mark!

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: one ounce pack on 07/06/2009 11:40:42 MDT Print View

I love the pack Mark! Unfortunately, I don't sew. Would you consider making another? I'd love to add a Henley Pack to my SUL gear list.

Speaking of, your sub-3 list is great! It gives me some new ideas for my lightest kit.

Thanks!

Robert Bryant
(KG4FAM) - F

Locale: Upstate
Re: one ounce pack on 07/06/2009 16:11:51 MDT Print View

no thanks, i'll stick with my redwing, more usefull.

Gary Boyd
(debiant) - F

Locale: Mid-west
Some more pictures... on 07/06/2009 20:59:38 MDT Print View

Mark, it would be great if you could post some more pictures the pack... I'm a very visual learner so seeing more of the finished product would be very beneficial to me.

Johann Burkard
(johannb) - F

Locale: Uhm... Europe?
Re: one ounce pack on 07/07/2009 13:25:46 MDT Print View

Yes, more pics would be great. Also, a table with the materials in international units please :-)

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: one ounce pack on 07/07/2009 13:57:58 MDT Print View

Thanks Mark, I'd like to make a pack like this for overnighters where I bring really low gear bulk and weight. The instructions are great, and a big thanks..I feel bad even saying this because you have obviously put some work into it, but I too would like to see more pictures to help understanding the instructions...I have to give them to my mom :)

Great stuff...

Edit:
Robert, can you post a link to the "redwing" pack? I tried to google it but couldn't find it. I'd rather buy one then build one!

Edited by Steve_Evans on 07/07/2009 14:02:38 MDT.

Shawn Wandell
(stwandell) - F

Locale: Too close to lights
Redwing... I think he means Kelty Redwing. on 07/07/2009 15:41:07 MDT Print View

Kelty Redwing - mid-size pack in the 3+ lbs range.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Redwing... I think he means Kelty Redwing. on 07/07/2009 22:14:00 MDT Print View

I saw the Kelty Redwing, but since we're talking a 1 ounce pack, assumed it was not the one. 3 lbs for 2500 cubic inches? That'll get your BPL membership taken away! ;)

Matthew Steingass
(Steingass) - F

Locale: Washington
RE: one ounce pack on 07/11/2009 12:40:32 MDT Print View

Just found my next pack. Awesome

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"one ounce pack" on 07/11/2009 19:39:43 MDT Print View

absolutely amazing. Thanks

mark henley
(flash582) - F
Per your request on 07/24/2009 19:29:11 MDT Print View

I've added more pictures to the instructions on the GC website and tried to make the instructions a bit more usable.

As for sewing, I'm currently recovering from back surgery, so I won't be sitting at a sewing machine any time soon, perhaps this fall I may be able to make a couple.

I'll keep working on this as I am able guys, I'm just going really slow these days.

One other thing .... Bill F's revolutionary ideas was without a doubt inspiration for this project. I wouldn't even had attempted to work with Cuben had it not been for Bill's work. Thanks for being my SUL Idol Bill!

Mark

Edited by flash582 on 07/24/2009 19:32:40 MDT.

mark henley
(flash582) - F
Some additional pictures on 07/24/2009 19:42:29 MDT Print View

Here are a few pictures of variants of the one ounce pack. A Cuben pack with a zipper lid, which I really didn't like too much (material wasn't stiff enough for the zipper I felt) and a 3200 Cu In version in Sil Nylon.Grey prototypeGrey Prototype StrapsGrey Prototype FrontCuben Prototype

mark henley
(flash582) - F
And even more pictures of the one ounce pack on 07/24/2009 19:49:57 MDT Print View

Red PrototypeCuben Zipper Lid

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Locale: North East
Re: Re: Redwing... I think he means Kelty Redwing. on 07/24/2009 20:44:39 MDT Print View

Lol @steve

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: Some additional pictures on 07/24/2009 22:23:08 MDT Print View

Thanks Mark! I hope you're feeling better soon. If you ever decide to make a couple, please keep me in mind.

Best, Doug

Dan Lucas
(226Dan) - F
Tales from a newbie on 08/25/2010 10:23:43 MDT Print View

First, I want to thank Mark for giving back to the UL community by posting the instructions for The One Ounce GoFast Pack. The UL community will grow and prosper if more people follow Mark's lead and share ideas/experiences/patterns with the world.

I am new to UL and love the concept of MYOG. I was quite excited when I found The One Ounce GoFast Pack on the Gossamer Gear website. Using one yard of fabric and a simple pattern I figured this was a perfect newbie project. However, I've had an extremely difficult time with this pack. I simply can not decipher the instructions. Chances are the pack will never be finished.

The reason I'm posting this is to caution other MYOG newbies that this may not be the ideal first project. I've faced nothing but confusion and frustration when attempting to read the instructions. I understand you should fully understand each step of directions before starting a project but my judgment was clouded by my MYOG excitement. The One Ounce GoFast Pack turned my excitement into a headache and soured my view of MYOG.

However, I want to thank Mark for his time and hard work putting together the directions for this pack. It was his desire to share with the UL community that convinced me to stop lurking UL message boards and actually MAKE something. So while I didn't get a finished pack, I gained experience and a bit of insight into the MYOG process.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
one ounce pack on 08/25/2010 10:28:57 MDT Print View

I don't know. It seems kind of heavy.

(holy crap)