Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Dimension-Polyant VX-21
Display Avatars Sort By:
Shane Bailey
(Shane112510) - F
Discrepancies between Rockywoods' XPAC Description and DP's on 06/13/2011 20:32:07 MDT Print View

I'm in the process of purchasing more XPAC fabric, and I'm having difficulties figuring out what kind of XPAC Rockywoods supplies.

Rockywoods' description says, "Nominal Fabric Weight : 4.9-5.5 oz per sq yard" and "This is a approximately 400 Denier textured nylon with a tough waterproof laminate."

Dimension Polyant's weight description for the 400 Denier VX42 via their Fabric Guide says, "9.3 oz per sq yard." This isn't even close to Rockywoods' description.

The only XPAC fabrics on Dimension Polyant's fabric guide that weigh approximately what Rockywoods claims on their XPAC fabric is the VX07 and WX20, both weighing 4.9 oz per sq yard. Also, the RX150 weighs 5.5 oz per sq yard according to the fabric guide, which is in the range that Rockywoods claims on their XPAC fabric. All 3 of these fabrics have a different Denier, and none of them have the same Denier that Rockywoods' claims on their XPAC fabric.

I guess my question is, does anybody really know what XPAC fabric Rockywoods supplies? People have said it's VX07, VX21, and VX42. I can't figure it out, and I've contacted them, and they don't even know which one it is.

Edited by Shane112510 on 06/13/2011 20:35:02 MDT.

Christopher Zimmer
(czimmer) - F

Locale: Ohio
Re: Dimension-Polyant VX-21 on 06/13/2011 21:00:04 MDT Print View

In comparing what I have bought from DP and Rockywoods, Rockywoods carries both VX21 and VX07. The Kiwi and blaze orange are both vx07 while the Red and Dark Grey (both out of stock) are VX21. The Kiwi and orange both have the rip stop face fabric, while the red and grey do not. Both the red and grey feel heavier. I called rockywoods on Friday to see what the dark blue xpac face fabric was and the guy told me it was rip stop, but he thought it felt thicker then the kiwi and orange so who knows. I ordered some to see, I am hoping it is VX07. I also emailed Hale at DP to see what the min order amount was for a different color run, he replied that it was 500yds for VX07 and 1000yds for VX21.

Shane Bailey
(Shane112510) - F
Re: Re: Dimension-Polyant VX-21 on 06/14/2011 06:43:13 MDT Print View

Thanks for that insight, Chris.

I don't know why Rockywoods orders XPAC fabric and doesn't find out exactly what they're getting so they can accurately describe what it is. They could get more business from people like myself who are looking for a specific kind of XPAC. Even though it's more expensive because of the cut fee and shipping, I'll probably continue to order directly from DP until Rockywoods starts finding out what they supply specifically.

It would be nice to see a different color run, though they do produce some nice colors, if you can get them while they're still in stock. I'm fond of the more earthy neutral colors like Grey, Slate, Graphite, Dolomite, etc., and they usually have some of these in stock when you order directly from them.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Dimension-Polyant VX-21 on 06/14/2011 10:12:40 MDT Print View

The black and silver Xpac is Vx21 because it has a taffeta front. The reason rockywoods or most of the outdoor fabric stores we purcchase from can't tell you exactly what the fabric. Because they purchase remnants from from clearing house that are selling over runs or backpacking manufactures remnant of high tech fabric from something they manufactured.
That why we see so many weird color fabrics and one of kind fabrics at certain times of the year.

I have run across the same clearing house websites in search of different types of fabric but they list the fabric in text form. I Don't have the money to purchase 20 to 200 yards of a fabric I want from the clearing houses.I don't like to purchase a fabric from a list you never know what your going to get.I like sample photos.
Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 06/14/2011 10:14:15 MDT.

Jared Dilg
(Village) - MLife

Locale: Texas
Re: Dimension-Polyant VX-21 on 06/14/2011 12:50:15 MDT Print View

I'm trying to get a pulse: would anyone be interested in some foliage-grey VX21, navy blue VX21, sky blue VX42, or some white VX07? I ordered a bunch of remnants from Hale at D-P once, because I had the chance, and probably won't need it all for my projects. I could post up some photos later for color reference.

Jared

Oh, and BPL members get first dibs ;-)

Edited by Village on 06/14/2011 12:52:25 MDT.

robert perks
(rperks) - F
VX-42 on 06/14/2011 14:37:11 MDT Print View

My roll of graphite VX-42 seconds was delivered today. Almost 7 yards, I am sure I can come up with something to use it all up, but may be willing to sel a yard or two if someone out there is looking.

With respect to figuring out which material you have, the VX-07, 21, and 42 are all pretty different. In my package they included some swatches of their current stock. spreading them out, you can see that the weave of the top layer gives it away. The VX-07 has small square ripstip as well as the diamond pattern layer. The VX-21 is non ripstop pack cloth, and the VX-42 is pack cloth as well, but much heavier. The VX-51 is about the weight of heavy school backpack cordura.

The WX, TX, VF, .... swatches, that is just a downward spiral into temptation.

As for dealing directly with DP, service was great, packing was great, and turnaround was fast. I have a feeling I will be talking with Hale again soon.

Morgan Rucks
(rucksmtr) - F
... on 06/14/2011 16:03:27 MDT Print View

robert.
you could build me a frame bag for my sam hillborne outta it :)

Christopher Wilke
(wilke7000)

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Dimension-Polyant VX-21 on 06/15/2011 15:47:29 MDT Print View

Jared,

PMed you about your extras.

Jared Dilg
(Village) - MLife

Re: Re: Dimension-Polyant VX-21 on 06/15/2011 21:51:10 MDT Print View

I've got PMs from a few people about the fabric, especially regarding the white VX07. Sorry, I'll respond to them all in a bit.

Here are some photos for reference. The white VX07 is called "Tokyo Grey" by DP but is very much white. The grey VX21 looks similar to my grey silnylon from Noah Lamport, but DP calls it "Charcoal II". The light blue is called "OD Ocean" and the dark blue is called "OD Blue" (prob same stuff that Rocky Woods had).

edit: I found that the ocean VX42 has one diagonal strand that broke about mid-way across the roll. There's just a void in the grid for the remainder of the width. D-P sells this fabric as either overruns or mill seconds. I haven't found blemishes in the other fabrics so far.

VX07 White Fabric

VX21 and VX42 materials

Edited by Village on 06/15/2011 23:44:55 MDT.

Jared Dilg
(Village) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Dimension-Polyant VX-21 on 06/15/2011 22:28:38 MDT Print View

Some gear I made with the two blues:

Bikepacking Gear

Mark Maritz
(mmaritz) - MLife

Locale: Rural Eastern Cape
Old Versions.... ;) on 03/22/2012 12:56:46 MDT Print View

Hi All

I live in South Africa and love following all the discussions and varied threads/topics.

Question: What do you all do with your old creations (previous versions)...?

I sit at the tip of Africa with little access to the lovely "VX-21's" of the world... any chance you would sell on your "old" versions.

Thanks and keep the great ideas and thoughts coming!!
Regards
Mark

Edited by mmaritz on 03/22/2012 13:13:59 MDT.

Thomas Budge
(budgthom) - F

Locale: Idaho
white on 03/22/2012 13:47:39 MDT Print View

Jared,

Do you have any of that white VX07 left over that you would be willing to sell? Tried to PM you but no email address set up.

Jared Dilg
(Village) - MLife

Re: white on 03/22/2012 14:03:17 MDT Print View

Sorry, all out of white! BTW, I got a PM from someone else this morning, so my PM profile works. Is yours configured with an email address?

Ronald Rod
(BespokeGear) - F

Locale: Front Range
Dimension-Polyant TX07 on 03/22/2012 18:05:43 MDT Print View

Hi there,
I have a bunch of the TX07 in white for sale. $8/yard+shipping

Shoot me an email at r2packs@gmail.com.

Cheers,
Ron