Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Dimension-Polyant VX-21

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bill B
(bill123) - MLife
Dimension-Polyant VX-21 on 07/04/2009 12:19:12 MDT Print View

Does anyone know a source for this fabric? I am looking about 2 yards for a backpack.

peter kvamme
(karacolor) - F

Locale: midwest
Re: Dimension-Polyant VX-21 on 07/04/2009 13:12:12 MDT Print View

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=852&language=en

No personal experience, but the only place I know of that sells it. They are in Germany but ship internationally.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Dimension-Polyant VX-21 on 07/04/2009 14:46:28 MDT Print View

Call a sail loft. Probably get a scrap somewhere.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Dimension-Polyant VX-21 on 07/04/2009 15:59:21 MDT Print View

It used to be possible to buy small quantities directly from Dim-Poly. They are trying to promote the use of the fabric. Go to web site and see.

Cheers
PS: it's very good stuff.

Bill B
(bill123) - MLife
Dimension-Polyant VX-21 on 07/04/2009 18:35:36 MDT Print View

Thanks all for the replies.

Patrick Caulder
(pcaulder) - MLife

Locale: SouthEast
Xpac Ripstop on 07/04/2009 21:59:52 MDT Print View

This may be it, but I am not sure. Somebody else could probably answer better.

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Hardware-Patterns-Kits/Ripstop-Nylon-Fabrics/XPAC-Ripstop-Nylon

christian gagas
(chummysaladbar) - F
x-pac on 07/06/2009 04:25:33 MDT Print View

I happen to live only a few miles from the Dimension Polyant facility. My wife swung thru there for me last year, and asked about purchasing some VX-21 for me. No one seemed to know what that was,(even though I sent along all the specs I could find on that particular product) informing her that they manufacture many configurations of their product to whatever specifications their customers require. They do have both a sailing AND an outdoor fabric division, and seemed very willing to talk with my wife about what I was looking for, interupting their Christmas party to send her off with 2 end rolls for me totalling around twelve yds at a VERY cheap price. It's nice stuff, two different fabrics, but both have the waterproof top layer, the grid, and then a polyester scrim inside. At any rate, it might be worth calling them directly to inquire about an end run of something suitable for your project, they seem very well informed about possibilties for their product.

One of these days I 'll try to get over there myself...

Christian

Bill B
(bill123) - MLife
Z-PAC on 07/06/2009 14:15:45 MDT Print View

I did contact D-P. They still sell small quantities.
Thanks all!

Patrick Caulder
(pcaulder) - MLife

Locale: SouthEast
price on 07/06/2009 14:35:03 MDT Print View

Bill did they quote you a price per yard

Bill B
(bill123) - MLife
Z-PAC on 07/06/2009 19:35:28 MDT Print View

I did not get a quote.

Jared Dilg
(Village) - MLife

Locale: Texas
D-P outdoor fabrics matrix on 01/20/2010 23:43:32 MST Print View

Here's a useful product matrix from Dimension-Polyant outlining their different outdoor fabrics. I've uploaded it to my Google Docs account, but if mods has a permanent file host, feel free to move it there.

Sport Material Guide 2009.pdf

Kyle Caminita
(giant_kyle) - F
xpac supplier on 08/24/2010 15:45:50 MDT Print View

I realize this is an old thread, but i buy mine from rockywoods. Here's a link to their supply.
http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/All-Ripstop-Nylon-Fabrics/XPAC-Ripstop-Nylon

I really like the stuff. In the process of making my first MYOG Pack from it. The kiwi is VERY GREEN. Just a warning

David Bolduc
(boldav47) - F
Picture of fabric on 08/25/2010 14:26:42 MDT Print View

I've been wondering about using some of this fabric for a MYOG project after seeing some Cilogear packs which may be made from the same material. Do you have any pictures of the fabric that you can post?

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Xpac fabric on 08/29/2010 10:39:00 MDT Print View

I like working with X pac fabric because it cheap strong and hold it shape easy to sew and water proof except at the seams.

I like it better than the 210 denier Dyneema X Grid stop that wrecks your scissors and does not hold it shape at all.

Rockywoods has VX07 or a older variant of Xpac I have used. The way you can tell is because the rockywoods fabric has 70 denier ripstop nylon fabric laminated to it exterior with a 0.25 mil PET film laminated to it.It weighs apromently 4.9 oz. per sq. yd.

VX21 has 200 denier pack cloth laminated to 0.25 mil PET film also weighs 6.2 per sq. yd.

Vx07 and Vx21 have .25 pet flim laminated to the fabric is part of Xpac Expedition fabric family.

X pac has it quirks though with regular nylon you can make mistakes and use a seam ripper and your needle hole will blend back in to the fabric.

But with Xpac fabric because it laminated to a .25 or a .05 pet film laminate. If you go back to correct your mistakes you will have visible needle puncture holes marks in the fabric.

So you have to be a careful and plan ahead for every pass you make on the sewing machine if you want a waterproof pack use a 1/2 inch
margin to the hem line and trim excess fabric away before seam tape.

I ordered my Vx21 and Wx20 from Dimension Polyant direct they will send you a email with the stock sheet of over runs and and 2nds of their fabric they charge a $10.00 cut fee for a cut off the roll.
But the prices are very reasonable per yard.

WX20 that has a 0.5 PET film laminated to it and 200 denier pack cloth is part of the back country series of Xpac it also lacking the fabric backing but with a softer hand and weigh 4.9 per sq. yd.

I would really like to get a hold of some Wx07 has 70 deiner ripstop with a 0.5 PET laminate. It only weighs 3.29 oz per square yard to see how it would work in a pack design Also because it weigh less than 210 denier Dyneema X Grid stop.

I think the Wx07 Xpac fabric is for you ultra light backpacking ounce counter who want a highly durable pack. Are not ready to jump on the cuben train yet.

I have read mixed reports about Xpac verse Dyneema Grid stop in durability it seems the rock climber like the Xpac but in the heavier
fabric like VX42 and they like the 500 denier Dyneema Grid stop.

That's why I think Clio Gear uses a combination of the two fabric in the construction of it work packs.In different area of the pack to make a highly durable pack but lite in weight.

I have been looking at different main stream pack manufactures who did manufacture all Xpac packs or partial Xpac packs.
Have gotten away from using it all together or use it as stiffeners in combination with cordura like Mystery Ranch does in their pack line.

I think I know the reason is because you can not go back and correct mistakes in your sew line with Xpac with out leaving a visible needle puncture mark and this ran in to material cost over runs for the main stream pack manufactures who have middle management always watching the bottom line.

But the cottage industry and small manufactures who took the time to learn the learn what Xpac will and will not do have found the great rewards in Xpac fabric.

After making a few packs this summer and learning the quirks of pack design strengths and weakness also fabric strength and weakness .

I will be making a making a pack out of of the WX20 and the VX21 for the bottom of the pack. They both have have 200 denier pack cloth and I should end up with a light weight durable pack that is pretty much water proof except at the seams that will suit my needs.

Bottom line I think everybody needs to find out what kind of fabric will work best for their needs and wants in a pack design.

Edited by socal-nomad on 08/30/2010 09:45:01 MDT.

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: Xpac fabric on 09/01/2010 21:52:12 MDT Print View

Thanks for the detailed info Terry! Does anyone have pictures of the material? I would like to see how bright the orange kiwi and red are.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
VX-21 on 09/01/2010 22:09:49 MDT Print View

I recently made a pack entirely out of VX-21 (North Fork pack thread), and it really is a joy to work with. Stiff but not too stiff, burly but not too burly.

Another cool thing is that the waterproof film on the inside of the black fabric is a light taupe, which makes things easier to see inside. Score.

David Bolduc
(boldav47) - F
Photos plz on 09/02/2010 17:23:14 MDT Print View

Thanks Terry and everyone for all the great posts. I'm learning alot. How about a few photos to wet our appetites. By the way which contact information did you use for D-P? Was it one in the US or in Europe?

Edited by boldav47 on 09/02/2010 17:27:41 MDT.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Dimension Polyant who to contact on 09/03/2010 09:17:22 MDT Print View

I called Dimension Polyant in the USA because I live USA.
The operator will put you in touch with the consumer division person.

I forgot one thing they will ship it on a 60" roll in a 60 inch long box.
I don't think D-P offers sample colors. The VX 21 in the color of OD Blue over run. If they still have it is a great blue jeans navy blue color.
So I basically used search engines to find backpack mad out of Xpac to get a idea of what color the fabric will be.

I have come to the conclusion that most of the high tech outdoor fabric we are getting. Is overruns and remnant from mainstream manufactures. Through my conversation with our consumer suppliers.

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: Dimension Polyant who to contact on 09/08/2010 09:05:23 MDT Print View

BPL has a few yards of XPAC available now.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog_bulk_fabric.html

Kyle Caminita
(giant_kyle) - F
rockywoods on 09/08/2010 11:06:54 MDT Print View

Here's a pic of my fabric i got from rockywoods.com. In an email exchange with Bill @ rockywoods, he told me i was buying the vx42. I got the Kiwi color which is very very kiwi....This is going to be my first DIY Pack, so i'll know not to buy such a bright color next time. Looks cool, just doesn't quite fit my style. The fabric is a touch stiff, which IMO is a good thing. It seems like it's going to make quite a tough 65-70L pack. I'll show pics once i start on making it.

Kiwi XPac VX42