November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Rae Lakes Loop in October
Display Avatars Sort By:
Shawn Smith
(terra_incognito) - F
Rae Lakes Loop in October on 06/30/2009 20:12:13 MDT Print View

This is my first post here and hope that someone can give me some helpful information. Having read through these forums, I have no doubt that you all will be able to help me out, as there's a lot of experience and knowledge here.

I am planning a trip to the Kings Canyon area this October (mid-October, to be exact...10/17 start date)and plan on doing the Rae Lakes Loop. I have tried to find a trip report for this hike in the October time frame, but haven't been able to find anything. My question is this:

What kind of weather can I expect on the Rae Lakes Loop during mid-October? I realize that weather can be unpredictable...I'm just looking for the normal conditions one can expect during October. Is there anything else I should take into consideration for this time frame?

I appreciate your help and am eagerly awaiting this trip. Thanks!

Thomas R. Conroy
( - MLife

Locale: Sierra
Rae Lakes loop in October on 07/01/2009 08:00:40 MDT Print View

We were there in the 1st week in October in 2004. You can expect nighttime temps down into the low-20s and a good possibility of a snowstorm, as we had on our trip. The snow accumulation was not great but it did make going over Glen Pass a little tricky the next day -- but very "doable." One spectacular highlight of going that time of year is the Aspen Gold [if they haven't already lost their leaves by mid-October]. Another sheer delight is that should be nary a skeeter anywhere on the trail.

Have a great trip!