Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Electrolyte Drink Suggestions
Display Avatars Sort By:
George Phoenix
(perrito)

Locale: Joisey
Electrolyte Drink Suggestions on 06/30/2009 19:21:13 MDT Print View

I'd like some suggestions for electrolyte drinks for my upcoming JMT hike. In another thread here, NUUN was mentioned.

Thanx

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
EDS on 06/30/2009 19:45:18 MDT Print View

I rock ultra fuel when doing 5000' days or anything over 20 miles. its *magic*

http://shop.hihealth.com/Twinlab_Ultra_Fuel_Powder_-_Or_P305C192.cfm?UserID=1160256&jsessionid=5e3023471a60$06$BE$B

and the container is rodent proof! (about 1 gal capacity ~3 days)

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 06/30/2009 19:46:06 MDT.

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
Electrolyte Drink Suggestions on 06/30/2009 20:03:27 MDT Print View

Emergen-C packets

Low sugar.

Joey Prescott
(Paintball2404) - F
Re: Electrolyte Drink Suggestions on 06/30/2009 20:33:43 MDT Print View

I will second these. I dont think they really taste the best, but they get the job done. They are like $10 for 80 at walmart.

e: the Emergen-c powder mike was talking about, I thought this website quoted lols.

Edited by Paintball2404 on 06/30/2009 20:34:47 MDT.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Electrolyte Drink Suggestions on 06/30/2009 20:35:20 MDT Print View

Research Nuun, pretty much the staple electrolyte supplement for the trail running ultra crowd, they put down the miles and tax their bodies, I think it would be more than sufficient for hiking.

Chris Benson
(roguenode) - F

Locale: Boulder
S! Caps from succeed on 06/30/2009 20:41:56 MDT Print View

I found out about them while training for a marathon. Less weight than powders and avoids any stomach issues.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Electrolyte Drink Suggestions on 06/30/2009 20:48:58 MDT Print View

EFS(Electrolyte Fuel System) by First Endurance. It contains carbs(24 grams), amino acids(2 grams), and
a full complement of electrolytes, i.e. sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium per 12 oz serving. I have found it to be excellent on all day hikes, especially in hot weather.
Worth at least considering, IMO.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Electrolyte Drink Suggestions on 07/01/2009 09:18:31 MDT Print View

NUUN would work, be very, very careful though if you watch sodium intake - it is VERY high!

Personally, while I do drink some drinks I usually just have water and food that acts fast. If I do need something I take Zip Fizz or Emergen-C, prefer ZF due to the added caffeine (a small amount, not a huge hit).

Tohru Ohnuki
(erdferkel) - F

Locale: S. California
Nuuns or Gatorade on 07/01/2009 12:29:52 MDT Print View

Nuuns are sugarless and compact, so i like them while hiking. But for backpack trips i want the calories, so i take regular powdered gatorade. I just wish they made the non-fluorescent kind available as a powder. I have also tried making my own mix out of koolaid, sugar, salt and low sodium salt, but it didn't taste as good...

Jarod Fleming
(flemdawg1) - F

Locale: SE US
RE: on 07/01/2009 13:10:36 MDT Print View

I have found G2 packs at Kroger. Kroger also has a line of their store brand single serving pouches, look for "Hydration" or check other brands like Crystal Light on the nutrition info for the requisite sodium and poatassium.

Both the G2 and Kroger branded stuff is tasty, drink them at home/work.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Powdered gatorade on 07/01/2009 13:26:31 MDT Print View

Tohru - I buy large containers of powdered lemon-lime gatorade powder at Costco, if that's available to you. I also can find smaller cans of powdered gatorade in both lemon lime and orange flavor at the local Albertson's grocery.

Dan Gerke
(dangerke)

Locale: Southern California
Electrolyte Drink Suggestions on 07/01/2009 13:48:48 MDT Print View

I like the Crystal Light On the Go packets, Hydration Lightly Lemon. It's usually on sale for 2 bucks for a 10pk. I like the focus(with caffeine) version as well, but it doesn't have the electrolyte supplements.

Edited by dangerke on 07/01/2009 15:55:49 MDT.

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Re: Electrolyte Drink Suggestions on 07/01/2009 14:55:59 MDT Print View

I bought what seems like a lifetime supply of ElectroMIX from Amazon last year and it seems to work as good as any. I use a different flavor EmergenC in my water with supper as an added supplement. I'm headed out for a month long hike soon and will be taking both along and also in resupplies.

John Garberson
(Montana) - F
New Electrolyte Drink for Spacemen and "Weekend Warriors" on 07/01/2009 17:26:19 MDT Print View

There's a news story this week about a new (to me) drink called, "The Right Stuff." It doesn't sound light weight to me but... http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20090630/sc_space/nasasportsdrinkgiveseveryonetherightstuff

The 'stuff' is NASA developed...

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Nuuns or Gatorade on 07/01/2009 18:17:05 MDT Print View

"But for backpack trips i want the calories, so i take regular powdered gatorade."

Gatorade is loaded with high fructose corn syrup. Bad stuff.

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
"Electrolyte Drink Suggestions" on 07/01/2009 18:57:14 MDT Print View

GU02 or Hammer HEED for calories while moving.

NUUN. for electrolytes while moving.

Hammer E-caps also work.

Monty Montana
(TarasBulba) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Electrolyte Drink Suggestions on 07/01/2009 19:15:04 MDT Print View

I have toyed with various electrolyte drinks over the years and have found something to recommend each of them. The most cost effective is Gatorade powder, and one study that I came across rated it just as effective for recovery as other more expensive, high-tech sports drinks.

I should probably do some research regarding the appropriate levels of sodium and potassium since these two vary widely across the spectrum of sport drinks available. All I know for sure is that potassium and calcium are required for proper assimilation of sodium, and of the ones I've tried only Emergen-C, Zipfizz and Nunn contain calcium; however, if your diet is well balanced it shouldn't be an issue. Here's a sample:

Drinks with calories:
Gatorade: 50 cal., 90 mg NACL, 25mg K.
Power Bar Recovery: 180 cal., 500mg NACL, 24mg K.
Emergency-C: 25 cal., 60 mg NACL, 200 mg K.
Zipfizz: 10 cal., 60 mg NACL, 905 mg K.
Nuun: 3 cal., 180 mg NACL, 50 mg K.

Drinks with 0 calories:
Fizzies: 150 mg NACL, 90 mg K. (Root beer is my favorite)
Lite salt (1/4 tsp): 290 mg NACL, 340 mg K.

A serving size for Gatorade, Emergency-C, and Fizzies is 8 oz., whereas Zipfizz, Power Bar and Nunn is 16 oz.

As you can see the ratios are all over the map, and I haven't been able to acertain what is optimal, though maybe that isn't an issue because they're all helpful towards recovery.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Electrolyte Drink Suggestions on 07/01/2009 19:19:33 MDT Print View

Coffee.

Cheers

Monty Montana
(TarasBulba) - MLife

Re: Nuuns or Gatorade on 07/01/2009 19:22:00 MDT Print View

"Gatorade is loaded with high fructose corn syrup. Bad stuff."

That is true for the bottled varieties of Gatorade and Powerade, but the powder form is sucrose and dextrose.

Monty Montana
(TarasBulba) - MLife

Coffee on 07/01/2009 19:32:12 MDT Print View

You might have a point there Roger! When on the trail I make cowboy coffee which requires a pinch of salt and crumbled egg shell ( to neutrailize the acids, smooth it out, and settle the grounds), so given that, it would have electrolytes.