Big Sky Revolution 2P or 3P?
Display Avatars Sort By:
E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Big Sky Revolution 2P or 3P? on 06/28/2009 15:10:58 MDT Print View

I became very interested in the BSI Revolution when my wife and I realized the mods we wanted to make to adapt the Tarptent Scarp 2, primarily to extend the fly, would be way too costly to be practical, and when BSI confirmed they could get us a tent by end of July (had read about past availability problems). That said, the Scarp 2 is an excellent tent and Tarptent is a great company - we just want a fly that we can snug down when necessary.

We were initially interested in the BSI Convertible 2P or 3P for the extra durability and ability to extend to winter, but Bob at BSI said they won't be available until this coming winter at the earliest. That's fine, because the lighter Revolution 2P or 3P should work very well as our main 3 season tent, and we do have a dedicated winter tent (Allak) that's probably only 2 lbs heavier than the new BSI Convertible will be. We like the porch not only for the convenience but also because the added pole adds some strength.

Interested in any feedback anyone can offer on the Revolution 2P Porch model versus 3P Porch model - looks like there's only a difference of 3 ounces between the two. The 3P just includes the vestibules inside the tent, and has a floor that can be pulled back to create floorless area, or pulled out and staked to create floored area in the vestibules. I think that's the only difference between the models. Bob said they should be equally stable.

Leaning towards the 3P not only for the extra space and ability to use for more people, but also because it can "grow" with us = roomy enough to use for 2 adults + small child.

Besides carrying an extra 3 ounces for the extra space, can anyone think of a reason not to go for the 3P over the 2P?

Edited by mountainwalker on 06/28/2009 15:29:20 MDT.

Ken Ross
(kross) - MLife
Re: Big Sky Revolution 2P or 3P? on 06/28/2009 15:50:07 MDT Print View

Good luck. I ordered a 3P on 4/7, also hoping that past problems had been resolved. No tent and no response to repeated inquiries. While this doesn't answer your question it may be a reason to consider going with another manufacturer over Big Sky if delivery time is a critical factor.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Got assurances by phone and email, have to give them a chance on 06/28/2009 16:20:07 MDT Print View

That's why I initially didn't consider BSI. But I was assured, over the phone and in email by Bob at BSI that if we order by Monday he could delivery by end of July. A month's not bad since we're not planning anything more than a weekend trip before then. I've got to give BSI a fair chance - Bob was very responsive when I emailed to ask. We have lightened up so much in almost all categories that we can use our heavier tent until then.

Try emailing all of BSI's email adddresses - that's what I did, and Bob responded fairly quickly.

What led you to 3P over 2P, extra space for 2, or you intend to use regularly for 3?

Edited by mountainwalker on 06/28/2009 16:21:06 MDT.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Got assurances by phone and email, have to give them a chance on 06/28/2009 16:35:12 MDT Print View

What you're describing would seem to be their MO based on what I've read. They respond very promptly initially but once you give them your money (or place your order if it has changed) it is like pulling teeth to get a response from them.

Ken Ross
(kross) - MLife
Re: Big Sky 3P on 06/28/2009 17:42:32 MDT Print View

EJ: Yes, I choose the 3P for the extra space. In my opinion, most 2-person tents are too small for 2 people. (The TarpTent Scarp-2 is an exception.) For a small increase in weight you get a large increase in comfort. Important if one of the two people tosses and turns all night (like me).

Art Sandt
(artsandt) - F
Re: Big Sky Revolution 2P or 3P? on 06/28/2009 22:00:43 MDT Print View

With the larger tent, you will get a larger footprint and more limitations to what campsites you can use comfortably. Depends on where you hike, though. Sometimes a slimmer footprint is highly desirable, other times it makes no difference. Good luck ordering from BS. I hope you like waiting.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Big Sky Revolution 2P or 3P? on 06/29/2009 00:25:47 MDT Print View

I should chime in that Bob Molen has ALWAYS been responsive -- when you are inquiring or ordering or when things are generally going well.

Reading the above, it looks like we are still dealing with the same Bob Molen -- where you are faced with nothing but a wall of silence when things are no longer going well. This type of behavior is unprofessional -- and BS is not the type of company I would want to do business with.

To be fair to Bob, I (and others) have asked from time to time for recent buyers to post their experiences. Still not very positive... So, be careful about wanting something so badly that you find yourself believing whatever you are told.

Edited by ben2world on 06/29/2009 00:27:02 MDT.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

thanks for the feedback, suggested to Bob he may want to respond on 06/29/2009 08:19:53 MDT Print View

Hi Ken, Chris, Art and Ben,

Thanks for the helpful feedback. BSI supply and communication issues noted - I've read a lot of comments about this and I don't think it's a good thing. I'm not excusing Bob or BSI, but note that Will R pointed out in the comments following a March 2009 writeup on new BSI models from Outdoor Retailer that BSI is working with a new factory and should be better about meeting delivery obligations. Hope that's true and that Ken gets his tent asap.

I emailed the link to Bob and suggested he might like to take the time to respond on the thread (and Ken hope this gets your Rev 3P to you faster). BSI probably loses business because of this - I know I didn't look at their tents for quite a while because of this kind of feedback. However, the Rev 3P is the closest we can get to what we were looking for in a 3 season double wall (at least before release of the Convertible 2P/3P).

Ken, went with the Rev 3P (Porch) too for the space, and because it can grow with us.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: thanks for the feedback, suggested to Bob he may want to respond on 07/07/2009 07:15:47 MDT Print View

Well -- did you press the BUY button? If so, don't forget to post your experience. Thanks.

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Big Sky Revolution 2P or 3P? on 07/07/2009 07:26:12 MDT Print View

Hey Ben,

I've placed an order for an Evolution 2P.

You can be sure that I'll post my experiences and a review here. There are Evo 2P's with porch in stock now I think, but I'm waiting for the non-porch version.

Estimated ship date is mid-August. Fingers crossed. ;-)

ps. I might add that Bob's communication has generally been pretty good, even after the order was placed

Edited by ashleyb on 07/07/2009 07:28:33 MDT.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

pulled the trigger; our experience on 08/28/2009 00:26:13 MDT Print View

Hi Ben I didn't see your post until now. Yes we pulled the trigger. Bob's communication has been excellent - seriously - but we're still waiting for our Revolution 3P Porch version - Bob last emailed this week that he will try to have it in the next week or two.

So all in all, the order was later than originally suggested (though not promised), but Bob has been communicating regularly and very responsive, and we got so busy with work we could afford to wait.

Partially as a result a) we're getting better tent material that is shipping with new Revolution versions b) we'll get an excellent deal on trade in of the mesh inner for the new fabric inner for being so patient and understanding and c) I had a chance to collect feedback from other users to find out what to tweak, and will ask if BSI can make these tiny adjustments, or make them ourselves.

I'll keep you all posted.

Greatly appreciate if anyone can post feedback on the Rev 3P Porch, especially regarding any tweaks. So far have heard excellent things about field performance.

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Re: pulled the trigger; our experience on 08/28/2009 00:43:03 MDT Print View

EJ, what's the new fabric inner? Is that for the Revolution or the Convertible? And the new "better" tent material? Can you post details here or send me a PM, because I'd be interested to find out.

I'm arranging to get a "loaner" tent for an upcoming trip in a few weeks, and I guess the real deal one will follow when production allows.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: pulled the trigger; our experience on 08/28/2009 08:32:10 MDT Print View

EJ,
I too am interested in your 'tweaks', the new fabrics, experiences, etc.

It would be great if you would post here so all can stay appraised.

Thanks.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

tweaks, materials on 08/29/2009 13:44:38 MDT Print View

BSI is shipping our tent today or Monday. Very much looking forward.

Bob had emailed me about the new materials and I'll post his specs as soon as I dig them up. For tweaks, based on Ken's feedback on the stakeout loops for the vestibules, head and foot, being tight, I'm lengthening them and making adjustable. Bob is throwing in a bit of extra cord for this. Ken said they were so short that it meant nearly vertical placement of stakes, which could pull out easily. A few minutes to lengthen them with cord and make them adjustable will take care of the issue.

Ken ordered the same BSI tent I did - Revolution 3P Porch - only difference is that my tent is made of the new SuperSil BSI is offering on certain models. Ken said he wanted his tent in yellow, and that Bob said the new material was only available in gray.

Ken you should post your review comments. Ken mentioned he had the tent up on Mt Whitney and that it performed very well in the winds and very well overall.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Note from Bob on Big Sky's new SuperSil material on 08/29/2009 13:46:45 MDT Print View

"EJ,

Your Revolution 3P will be made with SuprSil™… converting to it was the reason for the delay… thanks for your patience.

Big Sky designed and will be producing a number of variations of SuprSil™:

- SuprSil™: shell/fly fabric (2x more waterproof and 50% stronger tear strength than generic silnylon, but about the same weight) – Revolution 3P shell

- SuprSil™: tub/floor fabric (3x more waterproof and 50% stronger tear strength than generic silnylon) – Revolution 3P tub/floor

- SuprSil™-FR: for our dealers in CA and other states that require a FR fabric

- SuprSil™-UL: ultralight shell/fly fabric (in the weight class of ultralight spinnaker fabric but 2x more waterproof and 2x stronger tear strength)… we are currently only shipping Mirage series and Evolution 1P in this fabric…

Best regards,

Bob"

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Received Big Sky Revolution 3P Porch w/ new SuperSil material on 09/03/2009 15:16:58 MDT Print View

Just wanted to let you know I received it on Monday. Further thoughts when I have a chance to pitch this weekend.

jeffrey bennett
(jollygreen)

Locale: Near the bottom
Big Sky Revolution 2P or 3P on 09/24/2009 23:58:23 MDT Print View

How has the tent turned out. Anyone else have any comments with customer service lately.

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Re: Big Sky Revolution 2P or 3P on 09/25/2009 00:56:16 MDT Print View

I've received my Evo 2p (porch fly as a loaner). I'm leaving for Europe in 2 days time and haven't had a second to even open the box. So I'm afraid I can't comment on how much I like it. But if you are interested in ordering, so long as you order something that is showing up as "in stock" I don't think there is any reason for concern. Bob has been pretty responsive... sometimes a few days to reply to an email, but mostly good. And they were good enough to give me a loaner on this fly while I wait for the one I want to arrive in stock.

Anyway, I'll report back in about 2 months time when i get back...

Tim Testa
(MichaelRedbeard) - F
Goodluck on 09/25/2009 01:18:16 MDT Print View

"Hey Ben,

I've placed an order for an Evolution 2P.

You can be sure that I'll post my experiences and a review here. There are Evo 2P's with porch in stock now I think, but I'm waiting for the non-porch version."

Hey Ben, just a friendly tip from one member to another, don't hold you breath on Ashley's review he has already been waiting for about 2 1/2 years and counting for this so called porchless tent. But hey, at least he didn't get stuck with a MSR carbon reflex tent. Oh well...heres to waiting another 2 1/2 years mate. Cheers. ;)

Seriously though, you better get that darn thing soon. Heck I'm starting to get frustrated for you and its not even my tent =)

Edited by MichaelRedbeard on 09/25/2009 01:21:30 MDT.

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Re: Goodluck on 09/25/2009 02:08:35 MDT Print View

don't hold you breath on Ashley's review he has already been waiting for about 2 1/2 years

Huh? I think you misread the date of my post. I ordered my tent about 3 months ago, and it arrived here about 3 weeks ago. So there was a wait of around 2 months, but that was because I had ordered something which was out of stock. No big deal. Not sure where the 2 1/2 years bit came from...?