Subscribe Forums Newsletter Facebook Twitter
LNT VS REALITY good cause for off trail hiking
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

Locale: Outside
LNT VS REALITY good cause for off trail hiking on 06/25/2009 13:44:57 MDT Print View

how would you like to sleep in this site. http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters
This is why I tend to hike off trail, you never know who was in a designated campsite the night before you were. Ali

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: LNT VS REALITY good cause for off trail hiking on 06/25/2009 15:58:39 MDT Print View

I've been to worse spots in the Smokies. One site we stayed at had multiple cans from food in the fire ring and trash scattered about the grounds. We didn't have any large animal issues but the bees were really bad.

Edited by simplespirit on 06/25/2009 15:59:12 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: LNT VS REALITY good cause for off trail hiking on 06/25/2009 17:49:01 MDT Print View

Hi Ali

That was horrible. Really Ugh.

Cheers

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
LNT VS REALITY good cause for off trail hiking on 06/25/2009 17:50:38 MDT Print View

I can't believe that people are paying to learn from this guy! Food in the stream, fish bones and broth from the fish dumped around the campsite, camping/cooking/disposing of fish bones and waste water right next to the stream....

While I'm an on-trail hiker, I do try to go a long way off-trail to camp. I prefer to camp along tributaries (the inlet if possible) of lakes rather than at the lakes. What went on in this video is only one of the reasons. Most USFS jurisdictions want you to camp at least 100 and often 200 feet from the trail or any water source. I like to get a lot farther away than that!

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: LNT VS REALITY good cause for off trail hiking on 06/25/2009 18:17:32 MDT Print View

Oh Man, you should see what the deer and pig hunters leave behind!

Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

Locale: Outside
"LNT VS REALITY good cause for off trail hiking" on 06/26/2009 11:03:25 MDT Print View

Interesting how we learn from others mistakes. I have never once thought about packing out my TP unless it is required, I dig a cot hole fill it drop a rock on it and foreget about it. After watching this video I am rethinking the whole thing. Is everything I have thought was right completely wrong? Just makes me think. Ali