Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Dyneema G4
Display Avatars Sort By:
Patrick Caulder
(pcaulder) - MLife

Locale: SouthEast
Dyneema G4 on 06/23/2009 21:19:32 MDT Print View

Hey everybody,

I finally got around to starting on my first project. It is a G4 made out of dyneema. Overall, I am pretty happy with the the way things turned out. It definitely taught me a lot of about sewing, how different stitches are done, etc . Anyway here are some pics. Let me know what you think. The finished weight was somewhere between 16.5 to 17 oz

g41g42g4

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Dyneema G4 on 06/23/2009 23:10:33 MDT Print View

Hey, that looks nice. Congratulations on a job well done. I have some fabric on order for my first attempt at a pack. Now I really can't wait. Very cool.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Dyneema G4 on 06/24/2009 11:03:05 MDT Print View

where is the 3d mesh from?

Patrick Caulder
(pcaulder) - MLife

Mesh on 06/24/2009 15:43:16 MDT Print View

The 3d mesh is from thru-hiker. I bought two feet of it and still have plenty of it to use on some other projects.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
re: Dyneema G4 on 06/24/2009 19:58:22 MDT Print View

Congrats on a job well done. That is one nice looking pack. The Dyneema is certianly not the lightest pack material, but it is my favorite. It holds up like none other. And still your pack coming in just over a pound is fantastic.

Thanks for sharing.

Jamie

Brett Tucker
(blister-free) - F

Locale: Puertecito ruins
Re: Dyneema G4 on 06/24/2009 22:40:41 MDT Print View

Very professional looking for a first attempt at a pack (and sewing?!)

BTW, where'd you happen to source that Dyneema cross-rip?

Michael Chudzinski
(oknowa) - F
G4 on 06/25/2009 09:53:54 MDT Print View

Wow ! VERY impressive,I really like it.

Patrick Caulder
(pcaulder) - MLife

g4 on 06/27/2009 05:24:08 MDT Print View

Thanks for all the kind words everybody. All of this started a few weeks ago when I made a few stuff sacks. That was all it took, and now I have a list of projects to get done. This was the first time I had sewn anything except for the stuff sacks a few weeks ago. The machine is an old Singer Merritt 2404. Overall, I probably could have gone back and cleaned up a couple of the stitches. I'm not to concerned with it though. I will take it out here in the next few weeks to give it a test run, and report back. The Dyneema Gridstop and 3d mesh came from thru-hiker, and the rest of it was a kit without fabric from Quest.

Patrick Caulder
(pcaulder) - MLife

Straps on 06/27/2009 05:58:57 MDT Print View

Also with the shoulder straps and hip belt wings, instead of doing the openings in both, I just used some ccf and sealed them up. They are very comfortable too. I do want to go back and possibly add a y strap going over the top, and maybe add some sort of sternum strap.