Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
South Carolina's Governor is missing on the AT
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave .
(Ramapo) - F - M
Re: South Carolina's Governor is missing on the AT on 06/26/2009 20:19:03 MDT Print View

News flash: If we all spent half the time that we spend obsessing about gear holding politicians accountable for their behavior and, you know, actually representing the people's wishes, we wouldn't be inching our way toward totalitarianism and a wrecked planet.

>>Its nice to see some of you catching up with the rest of the world.

Don't be an ass.

stefan hoffman
(puckem) - F

Locale: between trees
Politics on 06/26/2009 21:01:16 MDT Print View

I think its refreshing to hear about politicians being real people who make real mistakes. Its to bad that we hold them so strictly accountable for thier personal lives that we really dont pay much attention to the real issues. Its not like people are like "hmmmm, if a politician did it, maybe i should". Nobody should care about anything but the issues, but then we wouldnt know who to vote for. NOBODY is squeeky clean, and if somebody was, they would be to naive to run anything more significant than a preschool.

That list of political hypocrisies is awesome though. Accusations are are as good as confessions. Remember that when you call somebody an ass, Dave. Wanna save the world?...get a sense of humor.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
... missing on the AT on 06/26/2009 21:11:19 MDT Print View

Dave H,
Why limit your list to only Republicans.

How could you omit the great one himself Bill "I did not have sexual relations with that women" Clinton. Now there is a fine example of family values if ever there was one.

Oral sex in the oval office set a new low for an elected official, a real blow to American politics, pun intended.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Re: South Carolina's Governor is missing on the AT on 06/26/2009 21:20:00 MDT Print View

Let me know when you want to start holding politicians accountable and stop being just another partisan tool.

The ass is the symbol of your party I believe.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: ... missing on the AT on 06/26/2009 21:53:00 MDT Print View

Clinton was 11 years ago, 1998. This list started in 2006.

Dave .
(Ramapo) - F - M
Re: South Carolina's Governor is missing on the AT on 06/26/2009 21:58:24 MDT Print View

>>Why limit your list to only Republicans.

>>The ass is the symbol of your party I believe.

I'm not a Democrat. They're really not the slightest bit better than Republicans.

I find the list of Republicans especially humorous though. I mean, if you can't trust a bunch of bible thumping flat-earthers not to attempt oral sex on undercover cops in public restrooms, then who can you trust?

To be fair, who are the Dems that can be added to that list? Bill Clinton. Elliot Spitzer. And I can't think of any more at the moment. Feel free to add to the list though. Consider it a work in progress. (EDIT: John Edwards too. He scores twice for cheating on his wife while she was terminally ill.)

>>Let me know when you want to start holding politicians accountable and stop being just another partisan tool.

I'm letting you know. This is your notice.

>>I think its refreshing to hear about politicians being real people who make real mistakes.

Humanity is to be admired in politicians. But, fun with the lurid details aside, Sanford went AWOL for about a week without even notifying the Lt. Guv. That's pretty serious, possibly impeachable. Also, how did he get to Argentina? I hope he wasn't using tax payers' money. Lastly, citing biblical inspiration, today he claimed that he didn't know if he should resign because David still presided as king after his affair with Bathsheba (he left out the part about David being responsible for Bathsheba's husband's death strangely enough). Along with humanity, I'd like to see something more than self-serving maneuvering. I assume the people of SC elected him to do more than boff foreigners.

Anyway, all of this is to say that I think that we, as a constituency, get the politicians that we deserve. And, I believe that, if most people could be bothered spending as much time being an engaged citizen as they spend on their favorite hobbies, this country would be better for it.

Edited by Ramapo on 06/26/2009 22:08:49 MDT.

Dave .
(Ramapo) - F - M
Re: South Carolina's Governor is missing on the AT on 06/26/2009 22:05:43 MDT Print View

>>Why can't people learn to be comfortable In there own skin? I am going to watch the sunset with my wife now

That's most reasonable thing anyone's said in this thread by the way. Full of humanity. A human response to inhuman politicians.

On that note, I'm going to bed now. Gotta get up and go climbing tomorrow.

Dave .
(Ramapo) - F - M
They're coming out of the woodwork!!! on 06/26/2009 22:13:58 MDT Print View

Oh. My. God.

Add another Republican politician, from South Carolina no less, to the AT list. Hot off the presses:

"A former mayor found sitting naked and holding a beer at a Rabun County campsite told police he wasn’t the same naked man seen walking around earlier."

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/06/26/naked_mayor_arrested.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

I shouldn't have checked the news before bed...

stefan hoffman
(puckem) - F

Locale: between trees
OMG....who cares on 06/26/2009 22:47:29 MDT Print View

Dave, Calm yourself dude :). I dont think you should check the news at all if the thing you are most stricken by is a former mayor being naked in the woods drinking a beer.....I wonder if DEET can irritate ones junk? I prefer to limit those sucking that particular organ to one species. Anyways, I dont see how that qualifies as anything related to news or politics.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Hike Naked Day on 06/26/2009 23:09:29 MDT Print View

Wasn't it?

Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Re: Republican track record on the AT since 2006: on 06/26/2009 23:42:04 MDT Print View

Is there a similar list of Democrats?

Andrew Lush
(lushy) - MLife

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs
Re: South Carolina's Governor is missing on the AT on 06/27/2009 01:09:19 MDT Print View

The whole thing was simply a misunderstanding.

Given that AT is an abbreviation for Argentina, he was telling the truth the whole time. He was just mis-heard.

What he originally said was:

"I am going to [the] AT for some tail" !!

Edited by lushy on 06/27/2009 01:10:21 MDT.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Democrats' track record on the AT since 2006: on 06/27/2009 03:37:15 MDT Print View

Wow, Dave. You seem to protest too much about not being a democrat. TWO democrats listed? :o)

I'm pretty middle of the road. I hate both extremists equally.

Let's see, limiting myself to 2006 to the present, and just off the top of my head, how about:

William J. Jefferson (D Rep-La.), who among other things took a bribe from an FBI informant and hid it in his freezer.

Brett Pfeffer, staffer, solicited other bribes for Jefferson.

Blagojevich. Goes without saying.

I'll lay off Ron Burris, since nothing has been proven, yet. (I'll try to avoid other unproven charges.)

Sam Adams, mayor of Portland, had sex with an 18-year old male intern.

John Edwards. Probably also needs no comment. Had an affair that probably led to a love-child, despite all the denials.

Gary Becker, from Wisconsin, I think, charged with some sort of pedophilia violation after trying to entice a tween via the internet.

A couple of Democratic mayors of Los Angeles and San Francisco had affairs a couple of years back, too, IIRC. I remember it because they came to light at about the same time.

Didn't the guy who took Mark Foley's seat have an affair then pay off the woman to keep quiet?

McKinney (D Rep-Ga.) assaulted a capitol police officer after she tried to sneak around a security barrier. Apparently she was angered when he reminder her that, yes, the rules applied to her, too. No charges filed, but rather white-trash of her. :o)

Frank LaGrotta (D Rep-Pa.) faked state employment for family members to give them state funds.

Lavalle (D Rep?-Pa.) somehow diverted a bunch of money to his wife through a non-profit organization she worked for.

Linda Bebko (Pa. What was she?) forged signatures on her nomination petition to run for office.

Twanda Carlisle stole public funds while serving as a Pittsburgh city councilwoman.

Fumo, (D-Pa, senator), mail fraud, conspiracy, destroying evidence. Taxes.

Can you tell I'm from Pennsylvania? Well, actually I'm from a lot of places, but I grew up in Pennsylvania.

If you want more Republicans I can produce them. Their scandals tend to be more colorful and entertaining. With Democrats it's all about money or, occasionally, ballot stuffing. :o)

EDIT----

Ha! I thought of some more:

Didn't the mayor of Detroit get in trouble for firing some cops who were investigating his affair with a staffer?

The guy who replaced Bud Dyer as mayor of Orlando got jailed for something. I forget what.

Chris Kelly, Blago's advisor, tax fraud. Big surprise...

While I'm thinking of that, a guy named Retzko, who I think never held office but was a big fundraiser in the Illinois Democratic machine, went down on a bunch of corruption charges. Ties to Blago and Obama. I think he also wrote some HUGE bad checks.

The mayor of Birmingham went down for corruption and bribery and all sorts of other stuff recently. Lang-something?

That's it. I think I'm out.

Edited by acrosome on 06/27/2009 04:47:34 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
chaff/entertainment. on 06/27/2009 11:50:33 MDT Print View

1. Moderator, please move this to Chaff.

2. Yes, the Republican ones are much, much more entertaining. Due mostly to the hypocrisy of the bible-thumping, family-values-yapping, anti-g@y, blah-lah-lah rhetoric.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: chaff/entertainment. on 06/27/2009 12:53:12 MDT Print View

Dave, #2 is completely correct.

Edited by kennyhel77 on 06/27/2009 12:55:07 MDT.

James Schipper
(monospot) - MLife
Republican track record on the AT since 2006 on 06/27/2009 14:27:53 MDT Print View

Dave, in the interest of fair and balance reporting here is a list of Democrats. Do you seriously believe that one party actually has the high ground. Brian is of course right, politicians are two faced phonies!

Democrat Gary Condit (2001): The California congressman’s affair with an intern became exposed after the girl, Chandra Levy, disappeared. It dominated national news before Sept. 11th. Levy was eventually found dead in a DC’s Rock Creek Park and someone else was charged her murder this year.

Democrat Jim McGreevey (2004): The married with children former New Jersey governor -- with his wife by his side -- resigned as governor after dropping the bombshell that he was having a homosexual affair. “My truth is I am a (homosexual) American,” left watchers slack jawed and serves still as one most stunning political press conferences of all time.

Democrat Gavin Newsom (2007): The married San Francisco mayor admitted to sleeping with the wife of a top aide. But was it a career-ender? No. He’s running for governor.

Democrat Antonio Villaraigosa (2007): Weeks after separating from his wife, the Los Angeles Mayor admitting to having a secret affair with a TV reporter. It, too, wasn’t a career ender. He was poised to run for California governor before deciding against it this week.

Democrat Tim Mahoney (2008): The man who replaced Foley was eventually derailed by his OWN sex scandal, and the seat went back to the GOP.

Democrat Eliot Spitzer (2008): Always to be remembered as “Client No. 9,” the meteoric rise of the career of Spitzer came crashing down after it was revealed he’d spent tens of thousands of dollars on hookers -- despite being married with kids.

Democrat David Paterson (2008): Soon after assuming office, the man who replaced Spitzer, acknowledged that both he and his wife had slept with people other than each other several years ago during a rocky period in their relationship.

Democrat John Edwards (2008): After the National Enquirer exposed Edwards’ affair, the one-time Democratic shooting star finally admitted to sleeping with a woman his campaign hired to shoot Web videos despite his wife’s very public bout with cancer and his 2008 presidential run.

Democrat Kwame Kilpatrick (2008): The Detroit mayor eventually ended up in jail after he was convicted of lying about a text message/sex scandal.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Republican track record on the AT since 2006 on 06/27/2009 14:37:50 MDT Print View

But James, the folks you just mentioned are not hypocrites....much different

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
South Caro on 06/27/2009 15:13:13 MDT Print View

Dean, Cynthia McKinney is black.

James Schipper
(monospot) - MLife
Republican track record on the AT since 2006 on 06/27/2009 16:58:32 MDT Print View

Ken,

Yes they are. Both Republicans and Democrats play the "family values" card. Anyone who takes a vow of marriage and then has an affair or spends $90,000 on hookers is a hypocrite. If they said in their campaigns that they were for open marriage or legalizing prostitution then they wouldn't be hypocrites, but they don't, so they are.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: Republican track record on the AT since 2006 on 06/27/2009 17:15:35 MDT Print View

Ken, are you suggesting that every Republican official in that list is a hypocrite? I'm confused by your remark. What exactly makes them hypocrites and by default excludes the list of Democratic officials and their erroneous behaviour of such a title as "hypocrite"?

Edited by Eugeneius on 06/27/2009 17:16:14 MDT.