Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Synthetic Vs Down?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Testa
(MichaelRedbeard) - F
Synthetic Vs Down? on 06/22/2009 15:59:47 MDT Print View

Which do you like more and why? I am under the impression that down weighs less, it keep you really warm, but does not try well if it gets wet. Synthetic dry quick, can keep you warm, but is slightly heavier and wears out over time quicker. However, which of the two takes up more volume in your backpack?

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Re: Synthetic Vs Down? on 06/22/2009 16:35:38 MDT Print View

synthetics will take up more room in your pack because they don't compress as easily as down. down bags can last years. if you are able to keep it dry, down is the way to go.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Synthetic Vs Down? on 06/22/2009 21:44:29 MDT Print View

In almost all conditions I would go with down for a sleeping bag. better value when you factor in # years of use, lighter, compresses more.

When it comes to clothing it sort of depends. In conditions where I might want to use my insulation like a belay jacket (e.g. it goes over my shell and worn exposed to the environment) synthetic is the only want to go. If I was in super brutal cold, or modest temps with little chance or rain I go with down.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Synthetic Vs Down? on 06/22/2009 21:50:15 MDT Print View

Hi Timothy

If your subscribe you will be able to read a review here which compared down and synthetic for water absorption and drying times. I think you might be a bit surprised at the results.

Those ducks and geese have had a lot of evolution.

Cheers

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Locale: South East
Re: Re: Synthetic Vs Down? on 06/22/2009 21:52:29 MDT Print View

The Point goes to Caffin for the subscription jab.

Well played.