New windscreen closure?
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
New windscreen closure? on 06/22/2009 13:58:30 MDT Print View

Here's something I came up with a few weeks ago. It's so simple, someone has prob. done it before, but I haven't seen it (please enlighten me if that's the case).
unsnapped_screensnapped_screen

I used two sets of "gripper" type snaps (#15) from Jo-Ann's fabrics. Installs easily in aluminum flashing windscreen. Very durable, very convenient, adds ~3 grams.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: New windscreen closure? on 06/22/2009 15:58:41 MDT Print View

Hi David

Yes, snaps can work well, but the Al foil many here use is a bit too light for them. The snaps would tear out before releasing.

Cheers

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Re: Re: New windscreen closure? on 06/22/2009 16:17:06 MDT Print View

Thanks Roger. That gives me a few more things to play around with (in addition to using foil instead of flashing to lighten my screen.) I've learned a lot from these forums, and the critique is really helpful.

Dennis Park
(dpark) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
new windscreen closure on 06/22/2009 16:19:28 MDT Print View

How did you afix the snaps to the aluminum? Did you just treat the aluminum as if it were regular fabric?

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Re: new windscreen closure on 06/22/2009 21:13:09 MDT Print View

Pretty much. I backed the aluminum up with the end of a chunk of 2 x 4, and tapped the barbed part of the snap thru, then flipped it over and set the snap part, using a hammer and the little tool supplied with the snaps. I was worried about the aluminum ripping out, like Roger mentioned above, but the snaps actually don't "snap" very tight (just enough to hold the screen closed), maybe because the metal doesn't flex around the male part of the snap the way fabric would, so there's not much stress unsnapping the screen. Lighter material prob. would cause problems.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa) - M
Re: new windscreen closure on 06/22/2009 21:16:07 MDT Print View

Interesting.

edit: Try reinforcing with a long strip the entire vertical sides. That may work for a lighter foil wind screen.

Edited by huzefa on 06/22/2009 21:20:56 MDT.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
More Snaps on 09/05/2009 19:49:11 MDT Print View

I'm a little late on this one, but it would be cool to add or or two more male halves of the snaps, so you could roll the flashing up and then snap it into place so it doesn't unroll. This would be great for storing your windscreen in your pack.

It would probably be the same weight as 2 hair elastics but there'd be no risk of losing anything and it would be a more elegant setup.

Edited by dandydan on 09/05/2009 19:50:10 MDT.