Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Dogs - Poison Oak, Giardia
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Brown
(johnbrown2005) - F

Locale: Portland, OR
Dogs - Poison Oak, Giardia on 06/21/2009 18:18:53 MDT Print View

I know there's another dog thread, but I want to focus on a couple issues specifically...

Just went for a 3 day trip in the Trinity Alps, jonesing to take my dog/s next time. Two concerns:

1) I'm really sensitive to poison oak, work hard to avoid it as I get a real bad reaction. How in the world do I keep my dogs out of it and/or keep from getting it from them?

2) Do you need to worry about giardia w/ dogs?

Thanks!

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
giardia on 06/21/2009 20:52:42 MDT Print View

yes. my girl is a vet and gets pretty upset if i let her dog drink from a creek.

she gets much more concerned about leptospirosis. it will shut down the dog's kidneys and is fatal. there's a shot you can get your dog, that is like 70% effective, which is better than nothing. it's contracted teh same was as giardia/crypto is

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Dogs - Poison Oak, Giardia on 06/21/2009 21:23:45 MDT Print View

"I'm really sensitive to poison oak, work hard to avoid it as I get a real bad reaction. How in the world do I keep my dogs out of it and/or keep from getting it from them?"

Not much you can do about this, short of keeping your dog on a close lead or strict heel. Or just don't touch your dog until after you get home and give him a good bath!

Charles G.
(Rincon) - M

Locale: Desert Southwest
Dogs - Poison Oak, Giardia on 06/22/2009 10:30:09 MDT Print View

Yes, dogs can get Giardia: I had an Alaskan Malamute that had a serious case. The most difficult thing about it was getting a diagnosis. From what I was told, most vets do not see very many cases of Giardia in dogs and so are prone to seek other causes first.

As far as poison oak or poison ivy is concerned, dogs can transfer the urishinol oil from their fur to human skin. I don't think you can keep them out of it even on-leash.

I am not (yet) sensitive to urishinol oil, my brother-in-law is highly sensitive to it. A few years back, my dog got into poison ivy and transferred the oil to him and presumably me. He got a major case on his legs, hands, wrists, ears, nose and private parts. I was spared. We used a paint roller to apply the calamine lotion to his affected areas.

He complained constantly that I was not suffering with him. He was a Clinton supporter so I just kept telling him that "I felt his pain".

Edited by Rincon on 06/22/2009 10:33:44 MDT.