Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Help with hikes within an hour of San Fran

Display Avatars Sort By:
George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Help with hikes within an hour of San Fran on 06/19/2009 19:32:26 MDT Print View

Probably be in San Francisco mid-September for a quick trip. Where are good hikes within an hour of city for either an overnighter or two super day hikes?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Help with hikes within an hour of San Fran on 06/19/2009 19:44:05 MDT Print View

George that is easy. Look into Point Reyes, or Big Basin ie Skyline To The Sea. We have many great hikes that within an hours drive of SF. The two I just wrote are the heavy hitters! Have fun!!

Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Re: Help with hikes within an hour of San Fran on 06/19/2009 20:59:56 MDT Print View

If whatever you end up choosing involves a state park, be sure to check at the last minute to be sure that there will be no trouble with your trip. (You have heard that CA is proposing to close a lot of state parks, right?)

-- MV

Jack Scheckton
(Meestajack) - F

Locale: Brooklyn
Big Basin is beautiful on 06/19/2009 21:56:25 MDT Print View

Big basin park is really beautiful, I was surprized by the environment when I visited a couple of years ago... Amazing redwood forest, some of the oldest and most beautiful forest I've ever seen.

Have fun... it's a beautiful part of the country.

I'm flying into SF in september myself, and we're going to drive up north to do some hiking/camping... Really looking forward to the trip.

Jeffrey Davis
(Gallamar) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: hikes within an hour of San Fran on 06/20/2009 12:41:39 MDT Print View

There's quite a lot of options, and living here. I'm happy to help you in any way as you narrow your options. Look through the site www.bahiker.com

Feel free to PM me with any questions. Enjoy your time in the Bay Area!

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Help with hikes within an hour of San Fran on 06/21/2009 16:47:52 MDT Print View

Although it's a short day hike, Muir Woods is really very pretty and only 30 (?) min north of the Golden Gate.

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Angel Island, Ohlone, Henry Coe on 06/22/2009 11:03:20 MDT Print View

If you can get a spot, Angel Islandwould be amazing. Here's the Angel Island camp PDF I've hiked but never camped there. But having done the Alcatraz at Night tour, I can tell you that being out in the Bay in the dark with the city lights across the water is quite an experience.

The two Ken mentioned, plus Ohlone Wilderness and Henry Coe SP. I believe there's a Bay Area BPL Henry Coe thread somewhere.

Edited by jrmacd on 06/22/2009 11:04:54 MDT.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Re: Help with hikes within an hour of San Fran on 06/29/2009 18:22:49 MDT Print View

ken, bob, jack, jeffrey, thomas, and james

thanks - really appreciate your help

will let you know which ones we pick

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Re: Help with hikes within an hour of San Fran on 06/29/2009 20:21:07 MDT Print View

If you do Angel Island, I would be jealous. From what I hear, the views are real cool.