Seam Sealing a bivy?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
Seam Sealing a bivy? on 06/17/2009 13:46:17 MDT Print View

just curious how you guys are sealing them. the directions that i'm sort of using as guidelines has the top and bottom just double stitched... just shove some diluted silnet in the seams? Coat the stitching on the inside??? thanks

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Seam Sealing a bivy? on 06/17/2009 14:05:53 MDT Print View

Jared,

Here's a great article from Jay Ham on sealing silnylon.

I used 2-1 mineral spirits - silicone caulk (from Lowe's) on my bivy and tarp. Works PERFECTLY!

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Seam Sealing a bivy? on 06/17/2009 15:41:06 MDT Print View

Load your mix of choice into a 10cc syringe body. I like 3:1 mineral spirits to silicone, by weight. It flows easily into thread and needle holes.

A syringe gives a very controllable flow and you can work the silicone into threads and seams easily with the small diameter needle stub.

You will end up with silicone exactly where you want it.

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Re: Re: Seam Sealing a bivy? on 06/17/2009 17:41:50 MDT Print View

yes, i've read jay ham's article several times and have sealed several tarps and tarptents with it over the last several years. The bivy has a different type of seam, I was just wondering whether people were shoving the stuff in, separating the layers and essentially gluing them shut or a combo gluing shut and coating the seams... but thanks.

Edited by rooinater on 06/17/2009 17:42:39 MDT.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: Re: Seam Sealing a bivy? on 06/18/2009 12:47:29 MDT Print View

i don't understand the need to seam seal a bivy. the entire top half is breathable right? so not water proof? so why worry about making the seam right bellow the not waterproof part waterproof. I never got it.

-Tim

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Re : Seam sealing a bivvy on 06/18/2009 13:07:37 MDT Print View

I'm assuming it's the seams on a 'bath-tub' floor bivvy. A bivvy without a totally waterproof high bath-tub floor is as good as useless on wet ground. If non-waterproof fabric touches the ground, it will simply wick water into your sleeping system.

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

re: seam sealing a bivy on 06/21/2009 12:14:23 MDT Print View

yes, it's a fully bathtubbed bivy with all the features. I'll post a thread on the pictures. I wound up just cating the threads and stuffing it in the vertical seams as much as possible.