Forum Index » Chaff » Eddie Bauer files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Eddie Bauer files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy on 06/17/2009 12:27:40 MDT Print View

NY Times: http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/eddie-bauer-to-file-for-bankruptcy-and-seek-sale-to-ccmp/?scp=1&sq=bauer&st=cse

AP Story: http://www.startribune.com/business/48262382.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUX

Looks like another company overleveraged with debt.

Edited by citystuckhiker on 06/17/2009 12:28:22 MDT.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Eddie Bauer files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy on 06/17/2009 12:37:22 MDT Print View

So does that mean their new technical gear line will be changing its name to "First Descent"?

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Eddie Bauer files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy on 06/17/2009 13:07:36 MDT Print View

Eddie Bauer has been flirting with bankruptcy for about 15 year now- they have been floundering in the market longer then that.
They could of/should of been like Lands End, but constant bad marketing decisions put them in the tank.

Brian Barnes
(brianjbarnes)

Locale: Midwest
RE: "Eddie Bauer files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy" on 06/17/2009 16:12:48 MDT Print View

Devin - Funny stuff... first descent!

Edited by brianjbarnes on 06/17/2009 16:23:24 MDT.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Eddie Bauer files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy on 06/17/2009 16:13:47 MDT Print View

Folks who grew up in Seattle or who ordered honest-to-gosh gear and clothing from their catalogs can still get misty-eyed recollecting what EB once was. Alas, that was a lifetime ago and they've been "Eddie Bauer" in name only for decades.

Still, it's hard to read of the corporate remnants being dragged through the mud. I'd have preferred they'd been renamed, something along the line of Outdoor Eddie's Clothing & Lifestyle Stuff.

Cheers,

Rick

Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Re: Re: Eddie Bauer files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy on 06/17/2009 23:09:35 MDT Print View

> Folks who grew up in Seattle or who ordered honest-to-gosh gear and clothing from their catalogs can still get misty-eyed recollecting what EB once was.

I remember when an Eddie Bauer sleeping bag was THE sleeping bag to have for eastern winter mountaineering (temps commonly -20*F). And none of this it-might-be-warm-enough-for-that-if-the-gods-are-in-a-good-mood-that-night. I once had my -20* Eddie Bauer bag down to -40* (it was marginal THAT night).

It has been sad to watch them in recent years.

-- Bob

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: RE: "Eddie Bauer files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy" on 06/17/2009 23:19:11 MDT Print View

>Devin - Funny stuff... first descent!

I'm here all night. :)

But seriously, it is too bad. Imagine if they had stayed with high quality, technical gear rather than going as far as having their own trim level on Ford SUVs - remember the Explorer "Eddie Bauer Edition"?

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Eddie Bauer files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy on 06/17/2009 23:43:08 MDT Print View

My most memorable EB product: the down cot. Yup, a camp cot with down tubes beneath, for warmth. I've always wanted Tom Hennessy to copy that :-)

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Re: Re: Eddie Bauer files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy on 06/18/2009 12:04:43 MDT Print View

>Folks who grew up in Seattle or who ordered honest-to-gosh gear and clothing from their catalogs can still get misty-eyed recollecting what EB once was. Alas, that was a lifetime ago and they've been "Eddie Bauer" in name only for decades.

That's why I laughed at the comment this comment in an SFGate blurb on the filing:

Not to mention that elite outdoor gear is not high on consumers' must-have list in the Great Recession.

Expensive does not automatically equal 'elite.'

I understand the urge to make as much a profit as possible, but it's sad (for them) when companies forget who their core consumers are.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Re: Eddie Bauer files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy on 06/18/2009 16:58:12 MDT Print View

One of my favorite old EB things was a down balaclava, complete with eyehole cutouts... they had some pretty innovative, good, techy gear "in the day."