Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
August Backpacker Mag - the Ultralight Camping Guide
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
August Backpacker Mag - the Ultralight Camping Guide on 06/16/2009 16:25:06 MDT Print View

Just got August's BACKPACKER mag in the mail. Headline? Ultralight Camping Guide.

Let the critiquing begin.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
August Backpacker Mag - the Ultralight Camping Guide" on 06/16/2009 17:18:06 MDT Print View

Matt, You KNOW it's gonna be a bloodbath! I can't wait!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: August Backpacker Mag - the Ultralight Camping Guide on 06/16/2009 18:12:39 MDT Print View

"Just got August's BACKPACKER mag in the mail. Headline? Ultralight Camping Guide.

Let the critiquing begin."

Man, this post is the forum equivalent of chumming the sharks in for the tourists. I'm gonna come back in ten minutes or so and watch the bloody foam and thrashing tails.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
_ on 06/16/2009 18:14:59 MDT Print View

_

Edited by ChrisMorgan on 06/16/2009 18:55:10 MDT.

William Puckett
(Beep) - F

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes
August Backpacker and Ultralight on 06/16/2009 20:48:00 MDT Print View

While it's easy to target them for their general ineptness around lightweight gear, I still commend them for expanding their coverage of lighter alternatives.

If one's only sources for information are the magazine, your friendly sporting goods/outdoor store and various friends, then any coverage of lightweight alternatives is a step in the right direction. I don't have to agree with the editorial stance of the magazine in general to see that expanding awareness of gear choices toward lighter stuff is a positive move.

There's plenty of room in the BPL community for some new converts!

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: August Backpacker Mag - the Ultralight Camping Guide on 06/16/2009 20:53:24 MDT Print View

Critique includes criticism and praise...more coming later.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: August Backpacker Mag - the Ultralight Camping Guide on 06/16/2009 21:54:26 MDT Print View

Okay,

I hate BP magazine. I was one of original subscribers. I dumped them when they went mainstream-glitz.

But lets be fair. There is no universal UL definition. What UL is to us, is something different to BP Mag and mainsteam retailers.

While it may be fun to poke fun at both from our perspective, we should not take it seriously at all. Keep the comments in good natured fun, but don't chastise them, "for they know not what they say."

John Roan
(JRoan) - MLife

Locale: Vegas
Re: Re: August Backpacker Mag - the Ultralight Camping Guide on 06/16/2009 22:38:35 MDT Print View

Nick wrote; While it may be fun to poke fun at both from our perspective, we should not take it seriously at all. Keep the comments in good natured fun, but don't chastise them, "for they know not what they say."

"They" poke fun at us...even when they end up tired & sore...isn't it our turn? :~)>

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: August Backpacker Mag - the Ultralight Camping Guide on 06/17/2009 00:43:05 MDT Print View

> "They" poke fun at us...even when they end up tired & sore...isn't it our turn?

Nah - just stroll on past them whistling cheerfully. That will do it so much better.

Cheers

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
It's all about information on 06/17/2009 01:12:55 MDT Print View

Depends where you get your information. It's no wonder people have ridiculous pack weights if they shop at the big chains.

This past week I tracked down one of the few remaining Neo-Airs in the Bay Area at a retail chain. The manager told me that it didn't live up to the hype because it took over 24 hours to self-inflate. She then warned me not to blow it up as this would damage it, since it's supposed to be a self-inflating pad. She then asked why I even wanted one. Guess the weight didn't even cross her mind.

I was kind of shocked that they would deter people from buying one of the lightest items to come out, and surely a big seller for their store. If they had bothered to read the instructions, they would have realized their error.

Just weird.....

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
neoair on 06/17/2009 01:22:44 MDT Print View

Dang, all this time I've been waiting 24 hours after I reach camp for my pad to self-inflate and I didn't have to! It really slows down my backpacking when I have to spend an extra day at each camp spot just waiting for my pad to inflate. Not to mention the fact that there is nothing to sleep on the first night. I've taken to carrying it around fully inflated because I know that if I let the air out I'll have to spend another 24 hours waiting for it to reinflate. Now I just strap the inflated pad to the back of my pack -- sideways. It's a regular 6' size one, so this has the added advantage of making sure no one on the trail can get past me and get ahead. I'm like a neoair roadtrain...

Edited by ashleyb on 06/17/2009 01:23:28 MDT.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Self-Inflating Neo Air on 06/17/2009 02:24:08 MDT Print View

It really is one of the trade-offs of going UL.

Weighs 9 oz but takes a day to inflate. You learn that these compromises are part and parcel of being in such an elite class of hikers.

=)

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Re: neoair on 06/17/2009 11:30:31 MDT Print View

neoair roadtrain=UL rock band name.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: neoair on 06/17/2009 17:27:40 MDT Print View

24 hours to self inflate? Damn Nate, looks like you will have to sleep on the ground.

Must have been an REI salesperson. Dumb.....

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
Re: August Backpacker Mag - the Ultralight Camping Guide on 06/24/2009 16:24:24 MDT Print View

I read it, and was pleasantly surprised on how they put the article together. Not a fan of the whole article, especially the whole single wall and tarp bashing, but they did bring up a few valid points. It may not be all the best information in the world, but most of it seemed to be a good starting point for heavier weight backpackers to start towards the road of lightening their packs.

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: Re: August Backpacker Mag - the Ultralight Camping Guide on 06/25/2009 05:42:29 MDT Print View

I'm with you, Jared. I don't think it was terrible, although they probably haven't done as much research as the average BPL forum member. They didn't make it sound like lightweight was something only crazy people do, which is what I seem to hear the most often from uninformed heavyweight packers.

And the article does mention Six Moon Designs, ULA, and a few other companies that aren't their usual advertisers.

Jack Scheckton
(Meestajack) - F

Locale: Brooklyn
Pick the gear... on 06/25/2009 09:57:16 MDT Print View

http://www.backpacker.com/august_2009_the_ultralight_challenge/gear/13118

A chance to give feedback on how light one editor should go... fill out the gear survey, and leave comments or suggestions.

He has some light options on there... silnylon tarp, cuben pack, myog catfood stove.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Re: Re: August Backpacker Mag - the Ultralight Camping Guide on 06/25/2009 11:11:26 MDT Print View

"they probably haven't done as much research as the average BPL forum member."

I've met multiple of their staff. Realize that many of them have been living, working and breathing backpacking gear, trips and reviews for decades. They're not clueless. And they understand that ultralight is only a small market segment and not the be all and end all.

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: August Backpacker Mag - the Ultralight Camping Guide on 06/25/2009 11:41:36 MDT Print View

I have to agree with Jared and Ryan.

Given their typical audience, the authors did the best one can expect. Too hard-core and no one will listen.

To get their audience to move in the UL direction requires patience and a soft touch, as fears of failed equipment, cold, safety, etc. are foremost in the minds of their readers. It takes time to accept that the lighter stuff works, is safe, and lasts if taken care of.

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: Re: Re: Re: August Backpacker Mag - the Ultralight Camping Guide on 06/25/2009 11:56:28 MDT Print View

"They're not clueless."

Note to self: think before clicking Post Message. I'll retract my statement about level of research, but I'll stick with the rest of the comment. A pretty good article for converting heavyweighters.