Forum Index » Gear Swap » wtb:underquilt for blackbird hammock

Display Avatars Sort By:
Joshua Billings
(Joshua) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca
wtb:underquilt for blackbird hammock on 06/15/2009 18:57:27 MDT Print View

Looking for something using 800 down.Open to suggestions.

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
UQ for BB on 06/16/2009 15:11:31 MDT Print View

Shameless promo.... but there are not many hammockers, esp with BBs on this site.... Pick any JRB standard size quilt for an excellent fit, and proven performance ... State of the art are the Mt Washington UQs, Dual differenrtial, body contoured baffles, 22% overstuff....Your choice 20 degree or zero to sub zero protection models.

Remember I'm biased.

Pan

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: wtb:underquilt for blackbird hammock on 06/16/2009 15:46:39 MDT Print View

another self-plug...
check the hammockforums.net for "te-wa underquilt"
that i make specifically for, but not limited to, the Warbonnet Blackbird. FYI, the footbox of the BB prevents most full length quilts from being very useful at the foot end, so mine are made with a 2/3rds length and weigh 13oz, comfortable down to freezing at least. (use a short ccf pad for your lower legs)

or, you can PM me here and we'll further discuss it.
shot of my personal WBBB with te-wa quilt:

bb

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 06/16/2009 15:49:21 MDT.

jim jessop
(LuckyJim) - F
Blackbird hammock underquilt on 06/16/2009 15:51:33 MDT Print View

Warbonnet also do their own 'Yeti" underquilt for the Blackbird, at about 11 1/2 oz for two third length coverage.

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

BB bottom on 06/16/2009 19:31:51 MDT Print View

Te - wa,

You post above...."FYI, the footbox of the BB prevents most full length quilts from being very useful at the foot end" is an erronous statement.

The bottom of the BB is a simple rectangular bottom, not unlike a Speer or an ENO....The oft commented upon "foot box" is more truely a feature of the top, formed by the triangular panel adjacent to the webbing...It has no impact what-so-ever on the bottom fitting of an under quilt. All under quilts that fit wide standard rectanguar gathered hammocks will fit on the BB.

Pan

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
underquilt for blackbird hammock on 06/16/2009 19:53:28 MDT Print View

Te-Wa's looks like it would do a good job. You could just get a Warbonnet Yeti. I think you'd like the design of the Yeti over any of the JRB products.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

BB bottom on 06/16/2009 20:00:35 MDT Print View

Pan, dont take it personal, no harm meant. I said "most full..quilts" i did not mention JackrBetter products specifically. Im telling the OP what I hear from the field, people i know personally with mucho experience using full quilts with the blackbird. There has been recent discussion of this issue on HF as you must know.

2 of my buddies both complain that the footbox extends beyond the usable range of a full UQ and that they had cold feet.

OP: a 2/3 UQ will solve two major issues.. bulk/weight and gaps under lower legs. This may or may not be a problem for you. each hanger has differing needs. I suggest you at least consider the idea that a 2/3 quilt combined with a (sit pad, pack frame, etc..) ccf pad such as the GG Nightlite will be a great solution.
after all, this isnt rocket surgery or brain science so im sure you'll get what you want. peace, mike

p.s. as you must know, Brandon @ Warbonnet outdoors designs the 2/3 length "Yeti" underquilt specifically for the Blackbird. He does not do full UQ's. Im not sure exactly why, but i suspect they work better together.

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 06/16/2009 20:02:37 MDT.

Joshua Billings
(Joshua) - MLife

Thanks everyone on 06/16/2009 22:23:22 MDT Print View

I'll be checking out my options. I can't seem to navigate HF.net so my questions will have to get answered here.Thanks

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

BB bottom on 06/17/2009 04:26:42 MDT Print View

Te-wa,

I have no issue with the use of fractional under quilts...In fact on occassion JRB make them as special offer/runs.

There are sevral folk on HF that have posted the same good results with regular size under quilts ... They do work equally well.

Clearly there is a place for both approach....Especially considering that the BB bottom most closely approximates the lay of an ENO as even Brandon of WB has stated.

I take no offense...Just making a correction...Good luck with your quilts.

Pan

Edited by Peter_pan on 06/17/2009 04:28:15 MDT.

Andrew King
(drewboy) - F

Locale: Arizona
Underquilt with the BB Hammock on 06/17/2009 07:37:35 MDT Print View

I have used a full length as well as a 2/3 length under quilt with my Blackbird, and found I get better results with the 2/3 length. Not to mention the fact that I saved around 8oz by going to the smaller length quilt. Less weight savings if you factor in the Sitlight pad for the foot area, but I consider that a multi-use item since it serves as camp seat and pack support as well. It always seemed more difficult to get the full length quilt adjusted properly and compromises were made between the foot and torso areas. My Te-wa quilt at 12.85oz keeps my torso nice and warm with minimal fuss.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: wtb:underquilt for blackbird hammock on 06/29/2009 09:24:39 MDT Print View

Joshua, did you ever end up getting what you wanted?
the link here will take you to a "how to" video showing the ease of use and basic demonstration of the te-wa underquilt. im not posting this as an advertisement, but more of a instructional video due to high demand by interested parties. hope it helps you visualize how a 2/3 underquilt works on the BB.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8vUlmob4Yw

Joshua Billings
(Joshua) - MLife

What are you talking about? on 06/29/2009 21:15:52 MDT Print View

Dude, I sent you money and you are making me one, I hope.You said the down should be at your house today you said.You are so silly. Maybe you thought i was someone else.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: What are you talking about? on 06/29/2009 22:30:01 MDT Print View

I'M silly? look at your crazy shoes!
j/k man, your quilt is coming along great. you'll soon need a new avatar - and your face is going to hurt from smiling so much. did you see the vid?

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 06/29/2009 22:30:35 MDT.

Joshua Billings
(Joshua) - MLife

Te- wa is da man on 06/30/2009 21:22:03 MDT Print View

Crazy shoes, what about my jacket?Looking forward to my uq.The you tube video was a nice touch.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Te- wa is da man on 06/30/2009 21:29:00 MDT Print View

glad you like it

your quilt shipped tonight

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 07/01/2009 08:12:45 MDT.

Lori Pontious
(lori999) - M

Locale: Central Valley
JRB w/ Blackbird on 07/08/2009 10:28:17 MDT Print View

Just to add to the general commentary of what works with this hammock... My JRB Hudson River works fine as an underquilt. No issue with the footbox. The JRB shock cord suspension allows the quilt to shape to the hammock bottom, whatever shape that is. With the end draw cord mod in place (draws up the cord from the middle of the quilt) and attached above the cord knot (with the strap suspension, there is a short length of amsteel between strap and whipping, this makes a handy spot to clip a biner) there are no cold spots and no fiddling around to find a sweet spot.

I did, however, manage to hang so that the head end was too low, resulting in my shoulders sliding off the top of the quilt and becoming cold. I am wondering if the shock cord is losing its springiness - been using it since last year, first on my Hennessy and now on the Blackbird.

William Puckett
(Beep) - F

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes
Underquilt options on 07/08/2009 11:46:07 MDT Print View

I'm tracking this discussion as well since I'm assembling a "hanging kit" for my solo travels (1.1 dual layer Blackbird, MacCat Deluxe tarp in SpinnUL) and my bottom insulation is still an unresolved question.

So far, I haven't detected much difference in the anecdotal evidence about 2/3 vs full UQ in terms of warmth (providing that some lower extremity padding for the 2/3 UQ is used). I'm seeing advocates on both sides of this choice. My gram-counter instincts lean toward shorter/lighter UQ solutions that don't compromise insulation. Everyone sleeps a bit differently so I suppose I'll just have to start somewhere and find out what works. Since I'm in Minnesota, even the shoulder seasons can be cold enough to be dangerous if unprepared, so it's not a trivial question.

Brandon at Warbonnet and Mike at te-wa make good products in the 2/3 UQ flavor. JRB is more oriented to the full length solutions. All of them (and doubtless some others I don't know about) are "good people" with well-deserved reputations for quality, value and responsiveness to their customers.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

uq for warbonnet on 07/08/2009 13:04:39 MDT Print View

"All of them (and doubtless some others I don't know about) are "good people" with well-deserved reputations for quality, value and responsiveness to their customers."

x2. i have experience with Brandon and John/Jack and they are all stand-up guys with full respect for the backpacking community. All of them in my experience put the customer first. I as well strive to emulate my mentors!

whichever you choose out of the 3 excellent choices, know that you are getting a fantastic product. There's also full length sythetic UQs by KickassQuilts in case you need that type of insulation. Peace, mike

as a side note, i have updated my hanging system on the te-wa quilt to make it easier and fuss-free for end-gathered hammocks, and also the new system saves about 1oz of weight.

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 07/08/2009 13:07:52 MDT.