Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Bulk dried food company?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Bulk dried food company? on 06/11/2009 13:37:41 MDT Print View

Hi, all-
I remember an awesome company that you could buy just about any kind of food from, dried. They had an amazing selection of stuff. Dried anything. Powdered cheese. Dried beef. Whatever. But I can't remember the name of the company, and my google searches haven't been productive. Anyone know (or have a close-enough idea) who I'm talking about? I know I can dry my own, but these folks had stuff that would save me a lot of hassle. Thanks a ton! (I mean, a feather.)
Brad

Patrick Caulder
(pcaulder) - MLife

Locale: SouthEast
#10 Cans on 06/11/2009 13:50:54 MDT Print View

Mountain House has the #10 cans of food, and they are all over the internet. www.mtnhse.com to order straight from them

Edited by pcaulder on 06/11/2009 13:51:52 MDT.

Walter Carrington
(Snowleopard) - M

Locale: Mass.
Links to bulk dried food. on 06/11/2009 14:08:03 MDT Print View

I think this is Sarbar's site; it has link.
http://www.trailcooking.com/links-and-resources
This place has other stuff:
http://beprepared.com/
Haven't used any of these myself.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Bulk dried food company? on 06/11/2009 16:02:03 MDT Print View

The company you are thinking of sadly closed down a year or so ago, but do not fear! You can get everything and more at www.packitgourmet.com and their website is so much easier to use!

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Bulk dried food company? on 06/11/2009 16:10:54 MDT Print View

Harmony House Foods has a lot of dehydrated stuff.

Edited by simplespirit on 06/11/2009 16:11:31 MDT.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Re: Bulk dried food company? on 06/11/2009 17:06:16 MDT Print View

Cool, thanks gang!

Sarah, if I promise to not try to go find the company and buy things from their generally non-existant state... it's driving me nuts not being able to remember the name. What was it? I did check out packitgourmet, and that's an awesome source. Dried wine and cheese. Woo-hoo!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Bulk dried food company? on 06/11/2009 19:00:42 MDT Print View

Brad, I really had to think it out - it was http://www.adventurefoods.com/

Boy did I have to think hard to remember it ;-) It was right there on the tip of my tongue for a good hour!

Jesse H.
(tacedeous) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
wow on 06/12/2009 03:23:46 MDT Print View

wow sarbar...

I've seen the link never visited the site..

honey powder, burgundy powder... the list goes on! OMG!!!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: wow on 06/12/2009 08:21:07 MDT Print View

Jesse,

My whole concept of trail cooking changed after I found the products from Packit.

Butter powder, sour cream powder, maple syrup granules, soy sauce powder, Worcestershire sauce powder, honey powder - well you get the idea.

I have created a couple hundred more recipes using the powders in the past year or so!

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Re: Re: Bulk dried food company? on 06/12/2009 12:12:46 MDT Print View

Sarah, thanks for the brain strain!

I've always had pretty plain meals on the trail, and frankly been quite happy with them. But packit opens up all sorts of new possibilities. And since I just picked up a used vacuum sealer... well, I think I just might have to buy some food.

Cheers!

Peter Burke
(Fishmonger) - F

Locale: Midwest
large cans, freeze dried and dehydrated on 06/13/2009 08:47:01 MDT Print View

http://beprepared.com/Default.asp?bhcd2=1244903967

anything from regular Mountain House meals, all the way to butter powder, tomato powder, vegetable taco favored protein bits, etc

I usually buy a mix of prepared meals and repack into zip locks, as well as freze dried chicken and other incredients to kick up regular entrees and soups found at the super market. Costs a lot less than the single servings and packs a lot tighter in a bear canister.

They have many ingredients in dehydrated form you just can't find lcoally here, and since I mix a lot of my own meals, I usually have a batch of dehydrated vegetables and meats to make some proper meals for less.

My UPS delivery guy must think I am some sort of survivalist given the packages he recently dropped off at my house (food for 3 people for 4 weeks...)

Edited by Fishmonger on 06/13/2009 08:48:27 MDT.