Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » The Deionization of a Golite Ion Backpack

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
ion mods on 11/20/2009 12:52:01 MST Print View

very nice work!

I have an Ion that I will be adding to as well- likely mesh side/rear pockets, bungee and a small mesh pocket under the lid

I really like the hip belt modifications you did

mark henley
(flash582) - F
Yet another Deionization of a Golite Ion on 11/20/2009 14:13:43 MST Print View

I had a vacation day free of Honeydoo's for a change, so I dug out the Ion and made a few mods ...Roll top additionAll Rolled upION

The ION is laying on a new XP underquilt I made for my hammock as well ...

I ditched the zipper lid and added a 1.9 ounce per square yard Silnylon roll top (I want to retain durability). I also added some straps for a compression system, a Gossamer Gear strap pocket and removed the hipbelt .... The Pack now has a max usable space of 2200 cu in with a total weight of 9.4 ounces.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

ion on 07/06/2010 20:14:51 MDT Print View

thanks for everyone who posted to this thread

I wish I could show you my own handy work, but I'm not very handy w/ a sewing machine, but this thread gave me lots of good ideas of what I'd like added to the Ion and I found someone who was handy w/ a sewing machine :)

I had a small mesh pocket sewn underneath the hood- this is large to hold my map, compass, UTM template, first aid kit, repair kit, small notebook/pencil, micropur tabs and headlamp

Photobucket

I had a mesh pocket sewn on the back w/ loops for a bungi strap setup and then two side pockets (hold 1 liter platy bottles w/ ease)

mine is a later version (evidently they changed the zipper to the top lid?) and size Large- it weighed 10.4 oz from GoLite, the additions only added 1.5 oz but have gained me a lot better organization and much more capacity

Photobucket

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: ion on 07/06/2010 20:30:57 MDT Print View

Mike....I like!

I want one!

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

ion on 07/06/2010 20:57:30 MDT Print View

we should all write golite and see if it can stage a comeback- I'd buy another one just to have a spare :)

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: ion on 07/06/2010 21:42:13 MDT Print View

*i>we should all write golite and see if it can stage a comeback-

I've done that ... the reply was that it's been replaced by the Peak ... I am of the opinion that the Peak is a fine addition to the Jam/Pinnacle family of packs but it in no way replaces the Ion ... and I told them that too.

I'd buy another one just to have a spare :)

Ditto that

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: ion on 07/06/2010 22:05:54 MDT Print View

^ I totally agree w/ that assessment, Peak is a nice pack, but it weighs 170% more than the Ion did- don't see how they equate that to a replacement

take the Ion- do what a bunch of have done- a few lightweight mods to make it a little more versatile- still very doable under a pound IMO

let's remember too the Ion retailed for ~ $50 too, that's something of it's appeal as well- the Peak adds almost 170% to the original cost of the Ion

it probably won't do much good, but I'll write them as well

Mike

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Locale: Texas
E-mail sent. on 07/06/2010 23:31:28 MDT Print View

I've written them as well. I hate having to baby my Ion because I worry about not being able find another one.

Edited by veriest1 on 07/07/2010 02:12:03 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

ion on 07/07/2010 07:13:42 MDT Print View

I just sent them mine- can't hurt :)

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Locale: Texas
Got a response from Golite. on 07/07/2010 13:39:24 MDT Print View

They didn't bother explaining anything to me. It sorta seems like they've been getting a few e-mails on this topic.

Brenda, their Sales and Service Supervisor, sent me this, "Thanks for the feedback, I will pass it along to our design team for consideration."

We need to get a petition going and/or get an onslaught of e-mails sent.

Edited by veriest1 on 07/07/2010 13:48:58 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Got a response from Golite. on 07/07/2010 17:25:49 MDT Print View

I got the same reply :)

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Re: Got a response from Golite. on 06/15/2011 19:27:47 MDT Print View

been nearly a year since this last post.. wondering, how many of you guys use the Burn now that the super modified Ions have caught your attention?

i recall doing some mods to a Ion and passing it along.. hope it is doing well.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

burn on 06/15/2011 19:41:51 MDT Print View

I think the Burn is a very well designed pack and IF I were to part w/ my modded Ion, that would most likely be it's replacement- but I don't see that realistically happening (barring some terrible mishap to the Ion) anytime in the near future