Forum Index » Chaff » Backpacking with Cats

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Re: leash training cats on 06/12/2009 00:06:31 MDT Print View

Thanks Zack. Yeah I should have spent more time doing it when they were little!

They do the bird-call thing too. We reckon they are doing sheep imitations. Baaaaaaaa.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
cats on harness/leash - 1 important thing on 06/12/2009 00:32:11 MDT Print View

cats are very, very sensitive to negative reinforcement, so make sure to make all leash/harness time as positively rewarding as you can

we had kiki pretty good on the leash until i made the mistake of taking her to the vet that way

she never tolerated it again after that

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Cat as a hat on 06/12/2009 03:19:08 MDT Print View

The only way I would do this in New Zealand was if I was wearing the cat as a hat, but I think possum is warmer:)

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
I don't actually backpack with my cat on 06/12/2009 08:53:40 MDT Print View

in case anyone was under that mistaken impression. But I mean, come on, that is clearly not a UL pack in the picture.

This is what happens when I take out all my stuff for packing. She plants herself in the middle of it and lays on the guilt trip because she knows she's getting abandoned for the weekend. I can't even get eye-contact.cat

She's always had a lot of 'doglike' qualities as well. But I've been told that's par for course, and calicos are known for having abit of the devil in them, or as one woman put it "they have alot of personality. (Being a DFH, it's nice to know my cat is a liberal)

Edited by jrmacd on 06/12/2009 11:05:17 MDT.

Justin McMinn
(akajut) - F

Locale: Central Oklahoma
RE: Backpacking with Cats on 06/19/2009 09:21:11 MDT Print View

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: I don't actually backpack with my cat on 06/19/2009 18:34:17 MDT Print View

James I am pulling out my gear as we speak and stopped to look around. My cats are going through our sleeping bags and chewing on chords for jackets, sleeping bags, and etc.

They love my down bags!!!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: RE: Backpacking with Cats on 06/19/2009 18:38:24 MDT Print View

Justin that pic rocks!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: RE: Backpacking with Cats on 06/19/2009 18:43:00 MDT Print View

James, I have enjoyed your photos of your cat immensley (sp? crap I cannot spell). My cats do the same.

Cary is a special breed when it comes to cats. I know. Actually he should be applauded.

Here is one for you all. I have a Norwegian Woods Cat..Yes there is one. He is very similar to a Main Coon. The dude has the BIGGEST paws in the world. He is bulit to travel on snow. He loves walking the 'hood with me. All my neighbors think he is the biggest cat that they have ever seen. However, I would never take my buddy hiking with me. As much as I love the big boy, no way!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: RE: Backpacking with Cats on 06/19/2009 18:44:12 MDT Print View

oh and James, calico's are the devil!!!!!! I know!