Forum Index » GEAR » I want Thorofare ZIP OFF Pants

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

Locale: Central Florida
I want Thorofare ZIP OFF Pants on 06/07/2009 12:31:01 MDT Print View

Ok, so I've been trying to find a pair of UL Zip Off pants and I simply cannot find a pair that is under 10 oz. So, here's an idea for the BPL staff: How about making a zip off version of the Thorofare pants to add to the Thorofare line of clothing? There's gotta be a few members out there who are also interested in a zip off version. I hope you will take it into consideration. Zip off pants are just so much more versatile IMO.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: 10T 524631m E 5034446m N
Lightweight Zip offs on 06/07/2009 12:41:01 MDT Print View

I think both Exofficio and Cloudveil have 10 oz models. My guess is that the zip off legs are no more than 4-5 oz of the 10 oz.

CM

Edited by ChrisMorgan on 06/07/2009 12:41:43 MDT.

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Locale: Virginia
Re: Lightweight Zip offs on 06/07/2009 13:02:49 MDT Print View

Roll 'em up.

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Re: Re: Lightweight Zip offs on 06/07/2009 13:04:53 MDT Print View

Lightweight Zip offs, btw, is a great name for a ska band.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: Re: Lightweight Zip offs on 06/07/2009 14:10:40 MDT Print View

Roll em up second vote. There's nothing I would run faster from than having a zipper running around my leg.

jim jessop
(LuckyJim) - F
Thorofare zip offs on 06/07/2009 15:13:14 MDT Print View

Not over-keen on zip offs, though they have their place, but at least might compensate for the extremely poor breathability/sweat-box nature of the Thorofares.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Thorofare zip offs on 06/07/2009 15:49:54 MDT Print View

Hi,

I have a nice selection of light weight #3 coil YKK 2-way Separating Zippers and when I first got mine I thought about adding side zips to the shirt and inseam zips to the pants.

I was going to use a 14.5" zip on the shirt sides and a 26.5" zip on the inseam of the pant legs. The 4 zippers would add about 1 ounce (+/-) to the total weight of the shirt and pants. Adding the venting is the only way I would ever wear them again.

I was thinking of giving them to someone I don't like.

I put my Thorofare shirt and pants with my collection of Edsel items. If you are to young to know what the Edsel was Google it.

Edited by bfornshell on 06/07/2009 15:50:37 MDT.

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Re: Thorofare zip offs on 06/07/2009 17:50:52 MDT Print View

I loved my thorofare's in the winter, I haven't worn them in the heat. That bad huh?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Thorofare zip offs on 06/07/2009 18:19:40 MDT Print View

>> I loved my thorofare's in the winter, I haven't worn them in the heat. That bad huh?

IMO, worse.

Go for the Rail Riders Eco Mesh or Mountain Hardwear Canyon pants. Those are the ones I like.

If there is no brush to contend with, I just wear nylon running shorts in the heat. But I have dark skin and don't have to worry about sunburn.

Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

RailRiders on 06/08/2009 07:52:04 MDT Print View

I think I might give the Rail Riders Eco-Mesh pants a try. While I'm on the subject, does anyone recommend the Rail Riders Regulator Wind Shirt? I like the idea of being able to close and open the side vents, makes this shirt suitable for a wide range of temperatures.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: RailRiders on 06/08/2009 09:56:49 MDT Print View

Sid,

I don't have the Regulator, but own several other RR products. It is made from the same material as their other shirts, so it is not going to work as a windshirt. Zipping the side vents might be of some value. But for me, if I need to zip the sides, then I am wearing a BPL Merino Hoody not a RR shirt. A wind shirt needs to be a separate item, IMO.

Another great product RR sells is the Eco Speed T. I wear this a lot. I really hot weather with little water availability, I wear an Adventure shirt to reduce evaporation from my torso. If there is plenty of water, I wear the Eco Speed T. I am not concerned with UPF protection because I have a dark complexion.

With the Eco Mesh pants, I rarely zip up the sides, unless I am in heavy brush. The mesh panels get caught on branches and such. Good think is the mesh does not rip, but it will snag.

Another shirt by RR I like is the Madison River. Similar construction as the Adventure shirt, but it has a collar and several pockets. It also has a zipper pocket behind the left front pocket. Good shirt for long day hikes when I may not carry much of a pack.

jim jessop
(LuckyJim) - F
Re re Railriders on 06/08/2009 11:47:01 MDT Print View

I've also gone with Railriders shirt and pants for warm weather trekking and am delighted with them.

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Re: Re re Railriders on 06/08/2009 15:16:46 MDT Print View

MHW canyon pants are my old g's. In the heat I wear nylon shorts nowadays. I got a canyon shirt that i wore last summer, I was gonna replace it with my Thorofare shirt this summer, but I guess not.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re re Railriders on 06/08/2009 15:49:18 MDT Print View

Rick,

I can deal with the BPL pants, although the light color are see through when they get wet.

The shirt, I cannot handle at all. It works okay in cooler weather, but the BPL Merino Hoody puts it too shame. I really don't like to bad mouth the Throughfare clothing, since it is sold by BPL, but have found them lacking in most areas. On the other hand, the BPL Merino Hoody is my favorite piece of clothing... but I don't use it if the temps are going to be above 80F.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Salvaging Thorofares on 06/08/2009 16:00:44 MDT Print View

I agree with Lynn about zippers around the leg. No thanks! I just started wearing my brown thorofare pants (I picked up on the warnings about the lighter color being see-through) now that the weather is warming up. I really like them. Of course, this being the PNW, we haven't really hit hot weather yet, so I may not like them when it gets warmer. They're great for deflecting drizzle without the need for rainpants.

I absolutely love my thorofare shirt. But I wear it as a windshirt over a merino base layer. As a base layer it gets too sticky wet. It's the first thing I put on when I set up camp, and it lasts quite a while before I need to add a warmer layer. It also works well when the approach to a summit is getting windy/chilly or if the weather is getting moist.

So by branching away from the original purpose of these 2, I have found they are quite nice.

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re re Railriders on 06/08/2009 16:42:20 MDT Print View

Nick, thanks I read many of your posts, actually, so thanks for all the trail wisdom. I wear the pants for camp/sleeping pants. I got the hoody too and man I love that thing. I'm a furnace though, so too hot for me in the summer. I'm Southern East coast, GSMNP, SNP, etc.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re re Railriders on 06/08/2009 17:08:21 MDT Print View

The pants are great windpants, and dry very fast, but not really hot weather pants. Better to just wear shorts in hot weather, and throw the thoroughfare over the top if it cools down. Or just get RRs...but for the weight I like the BPL pants as all around proetection from wind, drizzle, insects and sun, just not for hot weather.

Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re re Railriders on 06/08/2009 17:54:42 MDT Print View

Nick,
I wanted to ask you something regarding the RR Madison River Shirt. Does it have a back mesh vent like the Adventure Top? If it doesn't, that would be a real shame because that would've made it the ideal shirt I'm looking for.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re re Railriders on 06/08/2009 20:31:01 MDT Print View

Sid,

Yes it does. Plus it has loops to hold rolled up sleeves in place. Overall a really nice shirt.

I also have a favorite Ex Officio shirt similar to the Madison River Shirt. Not sure of the name. It is built very similar to the Madison River Shirt, except the side mesh panels are not as long and there is a piece of fabric covering the panels, but open along the sides. This shirt is lighter than the Madison River. It is 80% nylon and 20% polyester. The material feels like silk and kind of hangs like silk. It is very well made. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I think it was maybe close to $100. I hike in it an can wear it to expensive restaraunts; it looks that nice. I really am a shirt junkie :)

Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

Ex Officio on 06/08/2009 21:29:39 MDT Print View

Wow, the ex officio shirts look really nice. They have ones that are 20% poly 80% nylon and ones that are 50% poly and 50% nylon. Not sure which would be better. I'm assuming the 50% poly shirts will have higher breathability but will sacrifice a little bit of durability.

Nick,
do you recommend the Ex Officio shirts over the Rail Rider shirts? Also do you recommend the Ex Officio Air Strip pants over the Rail Riders Eco-mesh pants? One of the pants has the vents on the outside of the legs while the other has the vents on the inside. I can't decide which would be better.

Edited by Red_Fox on 06/08/2009 21:57:32 MDT.