Beginner needs gear list advice on solo PCT section hike
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: What volume pot for 1 person in the winter? on 06/08/2009 19:09:06 MDT Print View

My wife and I carry one MSR Titan pot between us, 1.5 L capacity. It is enough for all our needs, including melting snow. I collect lumps of hard snow beforehand in the vestibule where I cook and feed them in one at a time. Every so often I bale out some water into one of my PET bottles. Works just fine.

Yes, that means I have to pay attention to the stove while melting snow - but you be paying attention to your stove ALL the time anyhow.

> Make sure you save some starter water for snow-melting too. My group put way too much
> snow in to the pot too fast with too little water, and it took almost literally forever
> to melt and then get boiling for cooking.

'Literally forever'? :-)
Even so, I think you may be mistaken. It takes as much energy to melt the snow as it does to bring water to the boil. That means a long time with the stove, and you know about 'watched pots'. Starting with a lot of snow in the pot won't alter that at all.

Cheers

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: What volume pot for 1 person in the winter? on 06/09/2009 00:20:59 MDT Print View

Roger,

Over here on our left coast we have dry snow. Much less water per cubic inch so we need bigger pots ;)

Our deserts have dry heat too, but more comfortable in the summer than other deserts of the world.

Matthew Steingass
(Steingass) - F

Locale: Washington
My experience with the west on 06/09/2009 00:58:51 MDT Print View

I'm from PA and was interested in backpacking ever since I bought Chris Townsend's Book "The backpackers handbook" when I was 19. Three years later I joined the NAVY and was stationed here in Silverdale, WA. I did my first day hike up Marmot Pass and was amazed. I had never seen anything like it before. That hike made me decide I had to have all my backpacking gear by this season. I finally have 99% of the gear but I'll only be in WA until December so I chose Camp Pendleton, CA as my next command mostly because of the excellent backpacking and weather. Hopefully the JMT is in my not too distant future.

Edited by Steingass on 06/09/2009 11:28:49 MDT.

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Re: The West on 06/09/2009 10:26:02 MDT Print View

I, unfortunately, am going the opposite direction as you . . . West to East. I'm (unsuccesfully) trying not to think about it. There's a reason the Horace Greeley didn't write, "Go East, young man!"

Matthew Steingass
(Steingass) - F

Locale: Washington
Decisions on 06/09/2009 11:46:20 MDT Print View

I had planned on living in upstate NY when i got out of the NAVY but now I'm not sure. Washington Is such a cool state.