Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Colorado gear list
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Locale: Maroon Bells
Colorado gear list on 06/05/2009 19:08:18 MDT Print View

The gear list in my profile is what my wife and I are planning on taking to the Maroon Bells in August this year. How does it look?

Edited by dpnoll on 06/05/2009 19:12:51 MDT.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Colorado gear list on 06/06/2009 09:15:34 MDT Print View

David,
Since you guys are seasoned a bit, I have to assume that what you have works for you. Nothing jumps out as extra or missing. It would be informative to know what you are wearing, and I'm guessing that you are using trekking poles for the Lunar Duo.

I assume the matches are protected. One source of fire, for me, is a risk I don't take.

I see only one listing for "Pack Cover", but at that weight I'm hoping it's really 2 pack covers ;-)

Have fun out there.

BTW, my wife and I will be doing our umpteenth BWCA trip late August.

Edited by greg23 on 06/06/2009 09:17:25 MDT.

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Locale: Maroon Bells
colorado on 06/06/2009 10:30:44 MDT Print View

Greg,
The matches are protected and I also have a set with the cook kit. My packa has a pack cover built in. We are using hiking poles for the LD. Where are you going in the BWCAW?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: colorado on 06/06/2009 10:38:20 MDT Print View

David,
I forgot about the Packa options.

Sawbill, 10 days, random route, depending on weather, mood, water, and inclination.

I usually plan, but this trip is intentionally undefined.

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Colorado gear list on 06/06/2009 11:26:03 MDT Print View

I'm assuming you are doing the 4 pass loop or some variation -- I attempted this last year, but too early, creeks were raging and passes full of snow. Your list looks good.

I will say that having a UL setup made a big difference in my enjoyment of the trip, and was noticed and commented on by other hikers. I'm planning on trying again this year (end of July this time)...

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Colorado gear list on 06/06/2009 17:37:17 MDT Print View

Looks like a good list, David. I've done the Four Pass Loop in early September and your list would have worked well for me. Afternoon thunderstorms are a regular feature of the Colorado high country in August, so plan you trip to get down into the trees by afternoon, if you can.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
CO gear list on 06/06/2009 18:07:08 MDT Print View

Pretty sweet list, David. My only concern is your legs in a serious rain. The Packa doesn't offer complete protection, does it? Your wife will have Precip top/pants, so she'll be OK. Usually, we just get short duration afternoon storms, which you could easily weather. But if you get one of those lingering 40-degree F late monsoons, then you could have a problem. Guess you could always slip into the bag and call it an experience. My vote is for a set of PreCips, to be bombproof, if somewhat clammy (the Mica might solve that, at a lighter weight-my PreCip pants/Mica top, both size large, weigh 16.4 oz. together, only a bit heavier than your Packa; I use a pack liner). Have a grand time!

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Colorado gear list on 06/08/2009 09:22:28 MDT Print View

Great timing on this list...I'm outting together some adventures for the end of this summer and had this one in mind (along with many others).
I know this probably isn't the right section to ask, but since a few of you have actually done the trail...

The self registering process:
It is free to hike and camp?
I can stay as long as I like?
Camp anywhere or only established areas?
Bears...hang food? Or bear canister?
No need for bearspray is there? No grizzlies there, only black bears, right?

And the ultimate question. I read that you can take a bus from the airport right to the trailhead...any locals can verify this or offer additional info would be great.

Thanks again.

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Re: Re: Colorado gear list on 06/08/2009 10:50:48 MDT Print View

This link should answer questions about access to Maroon Bells.

I saw one person carrying bear spray last year. Black bears only, hanging food is recommended. Canisters are not required. I saw no bears or signs of bears on the trail, but I saw quite a few marmots and chipmunks.

Yes, you can get a bus (actually several buses) to the trailhead at Maroon Lake from Aspen Airport (ASE). There are also shuttles from Denver Airport to Aspen that cost about $200 round trip. I've not tried either of these options.

Scott White
(sdwhitey) - F

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Re: Re: Colorado gear list on 06/08/2009 11:42:56 MDT Print View

John:

You mentioned above that you attempted the trip too early. When was your attempt? I've seen some trip reports of people that did it around 4th of July weekend but I know conditions vary from year to year.

I was hoping to do a 4th of July trip this year if the conditions allow for it.

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Re: Re: Re: Colorado gear list on 06/08/2009 17:45:10 MDT Print View

@Scott:

I started my trip last year on 13 July, it was a record snow year. I was hiking solo, and did not feel comfortable with crossing some of the passes and streams. Buckskin Pass had an impressive cornice. Several groups hiking at the same time were able to complete the loop. It all depends on winter and spring snowfall.

This year, I'm leaving over a week later, and I don't think snowfall has been as heavy...