Forum Index » Chaff » how do you handle a situtation like this?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

Locale: Outside
"how do you handle a situtation like this?" on 06/04/2009 13:43:24 MDT Print View

Tad, I said blow out my brains not his, I know g$@s are useless. Ali

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: bear spray in a tent. on 06/04/2009 13:44:27 MDT Print View

So you would recommend spraying bear spray in your tent?

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: "how do you handle a situtation like this?" on 06/04/2009 14:14:53 MDT Print View

Ali- similar to what Lloyd Christmas (dumb and dumber movie) said-
"so you're saying I have a reading problem"?

David- I don't use/carry either, but if I did I'd want the one with the better odds of survival, smelly tent or not- at that range he would be inhaling most of it (I hope).

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
bear spray in tent on 06/04/2009 14:38:27 MDT Print View

in that situation, absolutely

i'd use whatever i had - throw the p**p from my pants in his face - to quote my favorite line from "Wargames" "Sh*t, boy, I'd p*ss on a sparkplug if I thought it'd do any good"

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Big deal... on 06/04/2009 19:02:51 MDT Print View

...that's nothing a good headlock can't fix. :)

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/04/2009 19:07:54 MDT Print View

Go back to sleep and hope for a better awakening next time.

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Locale: Virginia
Re: how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/04/2009 19:14:46 MDT Print View

Just tell him that I already made a donation at the office.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/04/2009 20:10:09 MDT Print View

Sing the chorus line from Oklahoma. Trust me, he will leave.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/04/2009 20:28:38 MDT Print View

First keep in mind that you should always camp with someone slower than you.

In the above situation you could ask Mr Bear what he would like for breakfast. Most likely he will get confused and walk away.
Franco

bj bretzke
(lilorphanbilly) - F

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)
leave no trace...... on 06/04/2009 20:51:51 MDT Print View

Wouldn't being recycled by a bear be the ultimate in leave no trace hiking?
or maybe bears don't crap in the woods:]

After no fear comes OH S#!T!!

bj

Edited by lilorphanbilly on 06/04/2009 22:28:38 MDT.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: Re: Re: Re: "how do you handle a situtation like this?" on 06/05/2009 03:59:10 MDT Print View

Tad,

I'm actually with Dave and Chalres on the "crap your drawers and run" technique. As with the situtation when a bear gets into your food supply- it is important to realize that it is no longer your tent. It is the bear's tent. Let him have it. :-)

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
Re:how do you handle a situation like this? on 06/07/2009 06:39:54 MDT Print View

>Hand him my ramen noodles.

Kill him with high blood pressure? :P

If you just keep the door shut in the first place it's just scary noises. If that fails, then I'm with everyone else in the p**p and run camp.

Edited by hammer-one on 06/07/2009 06:44:37 MDT.

Robert Bryant
(KG4FAM) - F

Locale: Upstate
Re: how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/07/2009 06:50:57 MDT Print View

I would handle it just like my last bear encounter and go back to sleep. Of course my last bear encounter was with the tent door closed and was a black bear so I would probably join the ranks of those pooping their pants as well.

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Locale: Virginia
Re: Re: how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/07/2009 11:36:15 MDT Print View

Who's a good bear, who's my good bear, Nice bear, wanna snickers?

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
polar bear on 06/11/2009 00:01:12 MDT Print View

I don't know about this bear but I can tell you how to catch a polar bear. 1st you have to be where polar bears are at, like the snow and ice. Then you cut out a round hole in the ice about 3' to 4' in diameter depending on how big of a bear you want to catch, then you take a can of peas and you put a pea around the circle about every 2" Next hide behind a snow drift (hopefully there is one to hide behind)and wait for the polar bear to bend over and take a pea then you kick him in the ICE HOLE. LOL

Mike Barney
(eaglemb) - F

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!
Don't be there... on 06/13/2009 15:05:58 MDT Print View

Don't be there...

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/13/2009 18:13:19 MDT Print View

"when you are sleeping and wake up to this, what do you do? User pepper spray? Whack him on the nose with your walking stick?"

No problem. If you are hiking with your cat, feed him the cat. If, like me, you hike with your pet skunk, turn him so his butt is facing the bear, lift his tail, press gently on his gonads, and, voila, end of problem!! Effective up to 5 feet. To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever improved on Mother Nature's original bear spray. ;)

Edited by ouzel on 06/13/2009 18:54:24 MDT.