how do you handle a situtation like this?
Display Avatars Sort By:
rob wil
(AUradar) - F

Locale: FL Panhandle (aka LA)
how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/04/2009 11:15:28 MDT Print View

when you are sleeping and wake up to this, what do you do? User pepper spray? Whack him on the nose with your walking stick?

uh-oh

David Stapleton
(KamperDave) - F

Locale: VA, DC, MD
Re: how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/04/2009 11:31:40 MDT Print View

I think instinctively I'd drop a deuce out of fear. Hopefully the smell would drive it away. That picture is frightening. :-)

-Dave

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/04/2009 11:32:41 MDT Print View

Uh-oh. Here comes the weekly gun thread.

rob wil
(AUradar) - F

Re: Re: how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/04/2009 11:36:21 MDT Print View

>>Uh-oh. Here comes the weekly gun thread.

please no, I would rather be in the tent

Walter Carrington
(Snowleopard) - M

Locale: Mass.
Photographer. on 06/04/2009 11:45:39 MDT Print View

That is one cool photographer.

Charles G.
(Rincon) - M

Locale: Desert Southwest
how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/04/2009 11:50:08 MDT Print View

If it had been me, I don't think I would have reached for a camera first. I would have grabbed a knife to cut my way out of the other end of the tent. I would have stopped much later to empty my drawers.

The vegetation in the background does not look much like grizzly country; more like desert. Could this be a Photoshop special?

Edited by Rincon on 06/04/2009 11:53:42 MDT.

Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

Locale: Outside
"how do you handle a situtation like this?" on 06/04/2009 12:01:57 MDT Print View

This picture is clearly photshoped but If it was real I would pull out my gun and blow my head off because that is the best you cound do in this situation other than throw your beautiful faithful loving wife to the bear. Thanks in advance for the nightmares. Ali

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
in a situation like this on 06/04/2009 12:02:41 MDT Print View

if my fear became uncomfortable at the idea of a bear entering my tent

i'd simply cut and paste the bear back out of my photoshop session

rob wil
(AUradar) - F

Re: how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/04/2009 12:05:36 MDT Print View

>>The vegetation in the background does not look much like grizzly country; more like desert. Could this be a Photoshop special?

come on, dont' spoil the fun

http://www.worth1000.com/contest.asp?contest_id=20912

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
how do you handle a situation like this? on 06/04/2009 12:08:37 MDT Print View

Oh yah, gives me a chance to tell my bear story for the 100th time.

Had a bear this close to my tent near GNP except the door was closed....when it put its snout right next to my partners head and grunted, I hit the car alarm.

The flashing lights and horn blaring scared it (and us) both....car-camping for me in grizzly country from now on!

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa) - M
Re: how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/04/2009 12:21:27 MDT Print View

anyone knows what is decibel range of bears? perhaps you can use a super loud whistle which turns the bear away?

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: how do you handle a situation like this? on 06/04/2009 12:22:38 MDT Print View

car-camping for me in grizzly country from now on!

Not a griz, but still ...

From the SEKI website:
bear in car

Edited by jcolten on 06/04/2009 12:24:14 MDT.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/04/2009 12:24:31 MDT Print View

This is yet another reason to sleep under a tarp. You can get out the other side :D. Even if you had two vestibules, Murphy would dictate this is the time the zipper would fail.

Adam

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/04/2009 12:25:30 MDT Print View

Outtake from "Grizzly Man"?

My fav bear encounter story was from a regular poster to the original Charles Lindsey site forums who awoke one night while tarp camping--IIRC on the PCT in Oregon--to a bear licking the toothpaste off his mouth.

I believe he may have switched to baking soda and salt, but that could just be my embellishment.

Cheers,

Rick

Edited by halfturbo on 06/04/2009 13:10:12 MDT.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: "how do you handle a situtation like this?" on 06/04/2009 12:49:42 MDT Print View

Ali your wife would just be an appetizer.
And now for the gun stuff- your gun would only tick him off-

"U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service investigated human and bear encounters from 1992 to 2005 and found that people who defended themselves with firearms were injured about 50 percent of the time by the bear. People who used the bear spray escaped injury 98 percent of the time, and the few injuries they suffered were far less severe than those in the gun-toting realm. Why? Because it's difficult to stop a bear with a gun and wounded bears are more likely to become even more aggressive...
Another study was performed by Thomas Smith, a bear biologist from Brigham Young University. After analyzing 20 years of bear incidents, he found that bear spray was effective 92 percent of the time, compared to 67 percent for guns."

NO more from me on guns!
Sorry if I'm starting something- please don't anyone reply to my post.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: Re: "how do you handle a situtation like this?" on 06/04/2009 12:55:27 MDT Print View

> please don't anyone reply to my post.

Hmm. That sounds an awful lot like "I just want to post an unopposed rant, but I'm going to try and make it look like I'm just trying to avoid a flame war."

Love,

Dean

:)

P.S. note that I did NOT in any way discuss the G word. Consider the motion to avoid the G word seconded.

P.P.S. Note the smiley, Tad, and that I signed it "Love,".

Edited by acrosome on 06/04/2009 12:57:58 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: "how do you handle a situtation like this?" on 06/04/2009 13:13:11 MDT Print View

I'd scream a scream that would curdle its blood and I would jam my thumbs as deep into its eyes as possible and not let go no matter what. While my thumbs were in its skull I'd do my best to bite its entire nose off.

I would then very likely be killed.

But that SOB would go wandering off into the woods to die a long, slow, excruciating blind-nose-less bear death.

Victory or Death.
(or both)

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: "how do you handle a situtation like this?" on 06/04/2009 13:22:32 MDT Print View

Dean, thanks for the love-

I knew someone would bring up the spray vs gun thing and I just wanted to end the battle before it begin.

I don't carry either of them, so I with Craig on the thumb technique.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
i'd just kick the bear on 06/04/2009 13:30:00 MDT Print View

in the ice hole

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: how do you handle a situtation like this? on 06/04/2009 13:30:21 MDT Print View

Hand him my ramen noodles.