Most efficient gravity filter system - need market update
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mimulus Mimulus
(mimulus) - F
Re: Triton inline filters on 06/10/2009 15:54:44 MDT Print View

Michael,

Sounds interesting. I've never hear of this filter before. Can you supply a link?

Ian David

Michael Allen
(michaellea) - F

Locale: Utah
Triton filter link on 06/10/2009 16:13:58 MDT Print View

Hi Ian,
Here is the link for their website. I had to call the company and get the ordering information because they do not sell the units. They use another means to distribute their product.

http://www.prismedical.com/prism.html

Check them out. It looks like a good solution if it produces good tasting water at a good speed.. We can only hope.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Triton filter link on 06/10/2009 16:41:14 MDT Print View

Michael,

Thanks for letting us know about this other filter.

I might have seen this a long time ago.

Looking at their webpage here:

http://www.prismedical.com/images/05-110.01%20Triton%20M2-M3%20Inline%20IFU%20Potable%20Aqua%20100307.pdf

It looks like it is also using the hollow tube technology that the Clean Stream and Saywer filter is using, but the major difference is that they have additional modules that can be stacked or added to the inline system.

There is one with active charcoal and one with a resin that contains iodine in it to purify the water.

It looks like a neat solution to various problems by allowing you to take only the modules that you think you might need.

Question is what is the weight of each module?

The site list the following:

From just 2.5 to 15 ounces, TRITON M systems are a family of small portable water purification products with the following BIG advantages:

• High Level of Purification

• Removes Harmful Microbes, Including Viruses

• Removes Silt and other Particulates

• Optional Resin Module Addresses Organic and Inorganic Chemicals

• Independent Lab Tested

• Great Tasting Water - Activated Granular Carbon Module Improves Water Taste and Removes Odors

• Low Cost, Modular Multi-Purpose Systems

• Use at Home, in Camp or While on the Move with Your Hydration Bladder

• "Dial In" the Level of Purification You Need

• Low Cost Replacement Modules

• High Capacity - Makes up to 500 Liters

• Compact, Lightweight, Rugged Materials

• No Batteries, Power or Pumping Required

Pretty intriguing.

Please, please, please let us know how this work for you and the weight of the system that you are getting!

-Tony

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Locale: Virginia
Triton on 06/10/2009 17:42:47 MDT Print View

Way cool, has anybody out there used this filter?

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: Most efficient gravity filter -- Michael, can you post pics? on 06/10/2009 19:00:33 MDT Print View

Michael, can you post pictures of your two setups? Thanks!

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
Scoop to fill dirty bag on 06/10/2009 19:36:14 MDT Print View

What is the rationale for this "scoop"? Is a cook pot not a good scoop that most of us already. It can be rinsed with clean water to decontaminate and I'm guesing that boiling water will finish the disinfection process.

That's my thinking. I'd love to hear why some of you consider a separate scoop necessary.

mg

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: Scoop to fill dirty bag on 06/10/2009 22:53:03 MDT Print View

MG,

I agree with you.

In my case, I use the Platypus 4 L Water tank, which essentially a huge wide mouth. So I have no problem with filling up my water tank.

However, some people only use the Platypus water bottles with the narrow/soda bottle opening.

In that case, a scoop is necessary.

My 1st time that used my gravity filter, I needed to use my MSR Kettle to scoop up water to pour it into the narrow mouth Platypus 2 L water bottle.

Frankly, that was a complete pain in the butt.

If that were the only bottle that I was using for dirty water, I would gladly use Ben Tang's method of cutting an old 1 L Platypus bottle's bottom half of the bottle off at a 45 degree angle and create a scoop.

In my opinion, it is a matter of adding an ounce of weight for a lot of convenience/speed to fill up that bottle.

-Tony

Tony Fleming
(TonyFleming) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Lightweight water collector on 06/10/2009 23:51:34 MDT Print View

Here is my wide-mouth gravity feed water filter dirty water bag. It weighs 0.6 oz. http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=AGWTBG

Does anyone have any ideas on what to use for an inline container to hold activated carbon? Something similar to the carbon filter attachment on the Katadyn Hiker filter, but weighs less?

Katadyn Hiker carbon attachment filter

Also, any opinions on where to place the activated carbon, before or after the Sawyer in-line filter? The Katadyn Hiker has it after the filter, but the Prismedical Triton filter listed above has the activated carbon element before the hollow fiber filter element.

I'm looking to improve the color and taste with carbon http://tinyurl.com/l7t5co

Thanks,

Tony F.

Edited by TonyFleming on 06/11/2009 00:47:37 MDT.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Lightest/fastest possible system that kills all microbes including virus on 06/11/2009 00:33:58 MDT Print View

>2micron mesh pre filter cap to remove silt
>Aquastar mUV

For pre filter cap you need:
Platypus filter link
2micron mesh swatch which you bond on the inside of filter link.

Idea is that you fill up your large platy with water and screw on the filter cap. Then sit on it to force the water through.

Collect the water in your clean platy/bowl/pot/mug. It will be free on silt and you can purify it with mUV.

It doesnt improve color/taste but that is a small compromise.

I posted this earlier and I am surprised to find no comments on this system.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: Lightweight water collector on 06/11/2009 01:52:14 MDT Print View

Tony,

I have used the Katadyn Hiker filter with active charcoal in it once....works, but is bulky and heavy.

I would use the charcoal after filtering...so on the output side of the Sawyer.

Putting it on the dirty water side would work, but I think that it would get fouled up with silt and biological goo/particles that would then reduce the flow rate of the filter.

-Tony

Mimulus Mimulus
(mimulus) - F
Re: Scoop to fill dirty bag on 06/11/2009 10:08:08 MDT Print View

Martin,

My writing communication skills have failed me again!

What I meant by the scoop methods was not using a separate scoop to fill your platy but to use the platy its self in a scooping motion when filling it up.

This seems totally obvious but, I've seen people try to dunk the whole thing up and down and get frustrated at how the sidewalls tend to collapse on them selves and not it full all the way. If You have a big zip platy (like I do) I think its easiest just to open up the mouth and skim it horizontally over the surface of the water. Usually one sweeping/skimming/scooping motion will fill the whole bag.

If I really need a separate scoop to fill up from a tiny creek or puddle then I'll just use my mug or cook pot and let it dry out thoroughly before use.

Ah the powers of misscommunication on the internet... :)

Ian David

David Poston
(dgposton) - F

Locale: Texas / Colorado
Re: Lightweight water collector on 06/11/2009 10:35:01 MDT Print View

Tony,

I am curious about your water bag from antigravity gear. From the picture, it doesn't seem designed as a dirty bag, just a bag to haul water. Did you add a hole in the bottom? How do you ensure that the water doesn't leak and goes into your tubing?

The dirty bladder in the Clean Stream system is the best I've seen yet. It has a quick release valve where you can release the dirty tubing from the bag to pause the flow. It is open on the top, so it easier to collect water. It has handles, too. For 3 oz I think it is worth it. The problem with using a regular big-zip hydration bladder is this: You have to invert the bladder (so the output is on top), connect your dirty tubing, hoping the water doesn't spill out the zippered side, and all that. With the Clean Stream, you can start and stop the flow at will. This matters when you are filling multiple clean hydration bags.

I think I will buy the bags from the Clean Stream system if I decide to use the Sawyer filter for my trip.

Regarding the water scoop, I think even with the open zippered bags, it helps to have a scoop to get the bag to full capacity. Also, you could keep adding water while the filtration process is going on. This helps for a group situation. BTW, a Kroger water bottle with the top cut off weighs in the neighborhood of 0.3 oz.

Richard Mueller
(richca) - F

Locale: Western USA
Re: Most efficient gravity filter system - need market update on 06/11/2009 14:38:05 MDT Print View

This is the first time I have heard of the Triton water filters from Prismedical Corp. They have an interesting set up. The only disadvantage I see in their set up is that you have a wait time of 15-30 minutes for the viruses. Some people have said in this thread that they have a virul module but I don't see that on their website. They have a virul solution with the wait time.

I think you could use the Triton MC carbon module (under 3 oz.) with a Seychelle inline filter advanced (.3 lbs). This set up would appear to have all the advantages of the Triton M3 multipurpose plus virul elimination without the wait time. The Seychelle inline filter advanced supposedly has a iodinated resin component in it so you wouldn't need that component from the Triton M3 Multipurpose. I don't know what the flow rate of this set up would be. The Seychelle inline filter advanced may already have activated carbon in it in which case you wouldn't even need the Triton MC carbon module. I cannot gather from the Seychelle website weather or not their inline filter advanced has activated carbon in it. Though it does say it is suppose to improve the aesthetics of the water, i.e., taste, odor, silt, etc. and under their FAQ page their is a question about activated carbon filters which I presume is about their own filters.

You could also probably use the Triton MC carbon module, the Triton resin module ( presuming the resin module has a hose link on the output end, the MC has an input and output hose end) with a Sawyer inline purifier. This would seem to be a complete lightweight purification system as well.

The Seychelle inline filter advanced may be a complete purification system on its own which they propose it is ("The only personal water filtration system capable of up to 99.99% reduction in all four areas of contamination!
Aesthetic, Microbiological,Chemical,Dissolved Solids").
It has the resin component, possibly the carbon component (I'll have to give them a call about this), and the filter component to remove bacteria, protozoa, and viruses. Anybody have experience with the Seychelle inline filter advanced? The flow rate?

Happy hiking, Rich

Richard Mueller
(richca) - F

Locale: Western USA
Re: Re: Most efficient gravity filter system - need market update on 06/11/2009 14:47:54 MDT Print View

The Seychelle filters do possess activated carbon in them. I just read that off their website "The high-tech porous plastic micro-filter is impregnated with both the finest granulated activated coconut Carbon available and Seychelle's exclusive adsorbing media for superior analyte removal capability." Somehow I missed this.

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
Re: Re: Re: Most efficient gravity filter system - need market update on 06/13/2009 08:48:04 MDT Print View

I use the ULA Amigo gravity bag with the Sawyer SP125 PURIFIER (removes viruses) into a soft sided Nalgene also and I'm wondering if you have measured the flow rate in seconds that it take to fill a 1 liter container?

This info might be of interest to you and others. I conducted several tests with the gravity bag and the Sawyer SP125 PURIFIER. ALL tests were conducted with untreated tap water, with a sample size of three in number for each trial.

FINDINGS:
Sawyer SP125 PURIFIER averaged 226.7 sec WITHOUT my internal pelon (type of sewing material prefilter; 286.7 sec WITH my internal pelon (type of sewing material prefilter.

Edited by KENLARSON on 07/02/2009 20:16:16 MDT.

Robert Richey
(BobR)

Locale: San Luis Obispo
Re: Re: Most efficient gravity filter system - need market update on 06/28/2009 21:17:55 MDT Print View

I experienced rapid slowing with the Frontier Pro as a gravity filter after the first day of use. I then added the bite valve, sucked a drink, and it worked as quickly as before. This was on a short trip, but so far it has worked every time.

Edited by BobR on 06/28/2009 21:21:46 MDT.

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Locale: Virginia
Re: Re: Re: Most efficient gravity filter system - need market update on 06/29/2009 14:33:44 MDT Print View

I used a frontier pro with a platy big zip on a recent 5 day trip in the smokies. Drove me nuts. I drink like a mule and it was hot, me and the Mrs. were going through 4 liters+ a day. Darn thing clogged every time. I did learn a trick. I had a 2 liter platy as my clean bottle, so whenever it jammed I squeezed the clean bottle and forced air and or water back into the dirty bottle. Sort of ghetto back-flushing. I did notice that as the trip went on the water tasted more and more like the micropur tabs I was using for "the small stuff".

Did I break it??? Don't know. I didn't get montezuma's revenge, but the water might have been fine.

Should the carbon remove the chem taste?

Patrick Caulder
(pcaulder) - MLife

Locale: SouthEast
Frontier Pro on 06/29/2009 14:59:31 MDT Print View

I haven't used my frontier pro very much yet, but when you are using it in gravity mode the closure for the clean bottle needs to be left open. For Example, when I use the evernew 2 liter, the closure cap is left open with the hose running down in the bottle. If I were to tighten the closure cap then the gravity feed takes forever. Ya'll may already be doing this, but I just wanted to mention it just in case. I have only filtered maybe 10L of water through mine in gravity mode but so far so good. If I need to post a picture of what I was talking about I can do that too.

Gary Boyd
(debiant) - F

Locale: Mid-west
Re: Re: Most efficient gravity filter system - need market update on 06/29/2009 16:28:12 MDT Print View

Tony Wong:
"I simply prime the filter by sucking on the output end of the filter to start the process.

Now, I have read that the Purifier version of the Sawyer filter that removes virus need to be primed and that you can not do that in the field easily."

Ok now I'm confused because I can only find the Sawyer Inline Water Filter here: http://www.rei.com/product/778041 and it says it does filter out virus, you are saying that it does not? Or are you saying that this one needs tap primed?

Noel Hong
(arborrider08) - F

Locale: SouthShore of Lake Superior
Jason Klass style gravity filter, but with MSR filter. on 07/01/2009 11:09:42 MDT Print View

Used the system outlined by Jason, but replaced the FrontierPro filter with the heavier, but more efficient MSR (same as Platy filter?) gravity filter unit. From mid April to mid May on a daily and sometimes twice daily use filtered 2-3L of clear water. Filter did slow up a bit, but not enough to be a problem. MSR claims ~1500L capacity. Time will tell.

Virus risk required treatment with the mUV or chlorine dioxide tablets. Tablets might also have keep the dirty water bag, filter & tubing from building up funky junk.

Katdyn makes an inline charcoal holder. Hauled it along, but never used it. Total weight of everything probably exceeded 11 oz.