November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Silks on 06/02/2009 18:51:29 MDT Print View

Jan, Mark Hurd, and all the rest of you...

Some months ago there was a thread about the suitability of very light silks for down-filled products. At that time, Mark made what has been a good distinction for me: namely, some down loss is okay. At least, that's how I recall it. Someone said that if you were expecting more down loss from a thin silk shell, then it wouldn't be a big deal. I'm starting to think that way...

Obviously a 4.5mm silk shell won't do much of anything against wind. Sleeping under a tarp wouldn't make any sense with such a sleeping bag unless you were using a bivy. But if you were in a tent, for example...

I know at least two of you have built and used silk-shelled bags/quilts. I've also read posts that talk about how much heat loss there is with the readily air permeable shell. How much of a functional concern is this air permeability? Maybe this is a question for Richard Nisley? Mark, what have you noticed?