Fastpacking
Display Avatars Sort By:
Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Fastpacking on 06/02/2009 00:03:50 MDT Print View

Note for those who think they pack fast -- I just ran across this item about the voyageurs:

"While traveling the historic Grand Portage, Alexander Mackenzie noted in is journal that voyageurs would head off on the 17 mile (30 km) trail with two packages of ninety pounds each, and return with two more of the same weight in under six hours "

As I read it, that is 34 miles in under six hours, carrying 180 lbs. Note that these guys tended to be short -- usually less than about 5' 5"

-- MV

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
Nostalgia on 06/02/2009 06:30:05 MDT Print View

Those are my people :)

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Fastpacking on 06/02/2009 07:20:41 MDT Print View

Like they say, don't believe everything you read on the internet...

john flanagan
(jackfl) - F

Locale: New England
Fast packing Voyageurs on 06/02/2009 07:40:21 MDT Print View

True - the internet is not the most reliable source of information. Buuttt... they were tough buggers. 180 lbs was indeed the standard load over a carry. Many died of strangulated hernias.

For a day in the life of... see this
http://www4.tfo.org/television/emissions/rendezvousvoyageur/en/world/worklife/daybrigade.html

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
"Fastpacking" on 06/02/2009 07:50:04 MDT Print View

They also mostly traveled by canoe. Only carrying the loads on their backs while portaging. Which they chose to do as little as possible.

http://www.metisnation.org/culture/history/voyageurs.html

FYI: Fort Williams AKA Thunder Bay.

Edited by drown on 06/02/2009 07:52:20 MDT.

Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Re: Fastpacking on 06/02/2009 23:46:03 MDT Print View

Correction to the original -- on further checking, the Grand Portage was about 9 miles, so the 17 miles in the quote is the round trip distance.

Still pretty impressive -- about 3 mph, wearing moccasins, over uneven terrain, carrying 180 lbs.