Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why do women prefer a tent?

Display Avatars Sort By:
. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Re: tent on 06/03/2009 23:49:55 MDT Print View

Holy smokes, i think i'm fragile compared to some of those desert plants...at least I know who'd win in a wrestling match. (Nice pics by the way.)

I use different shelters for different expected conditions. I'm yet to meet someone who will use anything less than a proven mountaineering tent when trekking to the poles or high altitude mountaineering. My wife likes tents, but also floorless shelters, depending on where we camp and in what conditions. She likes to be comfortable and I enjoy making sure that she is...for as little weight penalty as possible.

rob wil
(AUradar) - F

Locale: FL Panhandle (aka LA)
Re: Re: Re: Re: tent on 06/04/2009 05:48:07 MDT Print View

>> It has no insulation, so if you got out of your sleeping bag inside it you'd be unlikely to overheat (think sleeping under a windshirt).

>>I only zip mine up in very windy cold/wet weather, so when it's hot I wouldn't really be in the bivy or the sleeping bag, at least not above my waist.

I may have to look into this some more. I'm still not convienced I would have luck here without an enclosed tent, however, maybe I can do some backyard experimentation on some weekends.

Monty Montana
(TarasBulba) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Why do women prefer a tent? on 06/05/2009 23:58:24 MDT Print View

I think Geoffery Chaucer said it most succinctly in the Wife's Tale of the Canterbury Tales: sovereignty.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: Why do women prefer a tent? on 06/07/2009 14:26:15 MDT Print View

Aw, come on guys. You all are talking about why a tarp/bivy or whatever is just fine as far as you're concerned. That has nothing to do with the question, and if you are planning on taking you wife/girlfriend/daughter or whatever along, you really need to bury that machismo stuff and cater for your lady's needs. Three is no way to have a romantic snuggle when the bugs are biting and you're both in bivy bags with a headnet on. Hard for your gal to enjoy eating her dinner through a headnet too. Get real, and get a real tent for those trips (beg/borrow/steal/buy). And face up to the likelyhood you will also be the one carrying the extra weight.

OTOH, if you're going out with one of your male friends for some tough bonding, then feel free to use whatever your little heart desires.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Why do women prefer a tent? on 06/07/2009 18:38:29 MDT Print View

Lynn,

You nailed it!!

:)

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Locale: Virginia
Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do women prefer a tent? on 06/08/2009 15:06:45 MDT Print View

Lynn for president.