Golite Ether Wind Jacket 4.1 oz
TOTAL 17.1 oz
COOKING
Caldera Cone,12-10 stove, 1.4 oz
Firelite 900 ml 3.25 oz
Firelite Spork 0.4oz
TOTAL 5.05 oz
MISC GEAR
First Aid(Band Aids,Antibacterial cream, Asprin,Duct tape, Aquamira Tabs) in a Aloksak
2 oz
6 squares of tp in ziplock 0.2 oz
Sunscreen in mini balm jar 1 oz
Book of matches, esbit tabs(2), mini bic lighter in Aloksak 1.7 oz
Ul utility cord for bear bag(25') 0.2 oz
Photon Clip LED light 0.4 oz
TRT Map 0.8 oz
TOTAL 6.3 oz
CLOTHING WORN
Golite Drimove T
3.3 oz
Thorofare Pants (M) 4 oz
Smartwool Adreneline Socks 2.6 oz
Innov-8 Roclite 315 22 oz
Golite visor 2 oz
BPL Stix (125 cm) 8 oz
TOTAL 41.9 OZ
BASE PACK WEIGHT-W/ MURMUR=83.2OZ=5.2 lbs,w/ ULA CONDUIT= 92.19OZ=5.7 lbs

This is my gear list so far for my upcoming TRT hike in July. Any all responses are encouraged! See anything missing or redundant? Let me know!

Aaron

Edited by gliden2 on 06/10/2009 20:11:35 MDT.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
TRT Gear List 09 on 05/30/2009 15:25:35 MDT Print View

Hey what about bug protection? I am bringing DEET and a bug net just to be safe..The Mosquitoes should be in full swing in July....4 of us are starting July 2nd from Mt. Rose going clockwise and you? I am sorry have I already discussed this with you?

-Jay

Aaron Zuniga
(gliden2) - F

Locale: Northwest
TRT Gear List on 05/30/2009 16:39:03 MDT Print View

Hey Jay,

Yeah we've chated about shelters in another thread:)! Im just gettin preped and wanted here others feedback about my gear selections.
As for bugs i'll be bringing a GG dropper bottle with DEET. That should get me thru the hike and keep them off me while im hiking+the Ptarmigan bivy should keep those buzzing bastards off me in camp.
What pack are you using on your hike? How much water do you think you'll be caring? Where are you re-supplying?
Hope to see you guys on the trail!
Later,

Aaron

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
TRT Gear List: on 05/30/2009 17:19:59 MDT Print View

Hey Aaron, Jeremy Pendrey did our logistics...We stop at Tramway, Echo Summit and Tahoe City .. For the first 4 days I will have a Golite Jam and then through Desolation Wilderness (Echo Summit) I will change out to a MLD Ark for a bit more CI. I hope to start everyday with at least 2L of water I will be carrying a large Platypus. They say H2O is few and far between on the East side... I can not wait!!!! Looking very forward to it!!! I think we can do at least 15-22 miles a day.

Edited by Creachen on 05/30/2009 17:34:14 MDT.

Aaron Zuniga
(gliden2) - F

TRT in July on 05/30/2009 18:19:28 MDT Print View

Im still up in the air between the Mumur and the Conduit. I know Tahoe had a below average snow year, so many of seasonal sources will be more sketchy. Im thinking about having a water/juice cache @ the Brockaway Summit trailhead to fuel me thru the drier eastside.
I have now decided to have a re-supply in Tahoe City. This is exactly the middle point of the hike starting from Kingsbury South. It's also a super easy to go to a grocery store real quick!:)
I also am thinking about swapping out the Marmot Atom for the BPL Pro 60 Quilt+BPl UL Balaclava in Tahoe City. Quit a bit of weight savings that i could probably afford to shed safely on this part of the trail. I could do the pack switch here as well, Wow!

Thanks

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Locale: North East
Re: TRT Gear List 09 on 05/30/2009 18:31:12 MDT Print View

That's what I was going to say about your Atom. It seems out of place with all your other UL gear. Do temps go below 32 in July? I'm thinking a 16oz quilt with your Montbell jacket may be warm enough for 32.

I'm assuming the heavier bag is mitigate risk though? I can understand wanting to make sure you're covering your bases for some dips in temperature. However, you may want to consider synthetic because if you get wetted out your bag and jacket are worthless.

Kevin Lutz
(mtntrailrunner) - F
Two comments. on 05/30/2009 18:32:17 MDT Print View

I did the TRT in '07.

The entire trail is in bear country. How will you store your food at night? I didn't even see line to hang food in your list. Although canisters are not required, proper food storage is important for the bear's protection.

http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=134&Itemid=126

Edited by mtntrailrunner on 05/30/2009 18:46:34 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: TRT in July on 05/30/2009 18:48:54 MDT Print View

> It's also a super easy to go to a grocery store real quick!:)

Oh yes. Unlimited Resources! FOOD! Temptation!
Sometimes ... we have been known to buy yoghurt and bananas, retire outside to eat them, and then go shopping for supplies ...

Cheers

Aaron Zuniga
(gliden2) - F

TRT Comments on 05/30/2009 21:28:46 MDT Print View

Thank you everyone for your questions and advice!:)

Frank-Yeah the Atom could be a little over kill, and i am bringing the extra pad. I know i could easily get the Pro 60 quilt+Montbell UL DOwn Inner+Insulated balaclava down to the low 30's Hey Thanks!
Kevin-Yeah good point on the bears. I figure i'll bring some extra UL utility cord+an use an empty stow sack and bear bag my food and suplies high and down wind. Also im gonna try to cook before i get to camp.

Edited by gliden2 on 05/30/2009 22:17:47 MDT.

Aaron Zuniga
(gliden2) - F

TRT Eating on 05/31/2009 15:57:42 MDT Print View

Roger- Have you ever eatin @ the Red Hut Cafe? There is 2 of them in Lake Tahoe, one being right on Kingsbury Grade:D!It's one of the many legendary resturants around the lake! Im getting real excited about the hike and have enjoyed all the preparation that is involved in planning a multi-day thruhike! I appreciate and enjoy hearing what BPLers have to say:) So i guess it's safe to say that my gear list is OK? Not much feedback on that yet. Come on...anything else?

Roger Caffin

Re: TRT Eating on 05/31/2009 16:18:39 MDT Print View

Hi Aaron

> Have you ever eatin @ the Red Hut Cafe?

:-) No. But I live in Australia, and our big walks so far are in Europe - UK, France, Spain and Switzerland.

Cheers

Aaron Zuniga
(gliden2) - F

Re: TRT Eating on 05/31/2009 17:19:39 MDT Print View

I had originally planned on doing the hike unsupported with no re-supplies...but then i put into perspective the long days i will have on the trail (min.33 miles/day)+the likelyhood of carrying more water on the drier eastside of the lake=re-supply Tahoe City. Im really shooting for under 5 days:)so having 3 less lbs of food in my pack will be a ++! And they make it soo convenient on the TRT by having hotels, stores, resturants, post offices, within 100 yards off the trail in a few locations. I can't resist the fact that having a lighter pack+a cold ice cream or good meal is super good, but it does take away from the wilderness experience somewhat.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
TRT gear list. on 06/01/2009 10:18:04 MDT Print View

Hi Aaron,

I tried to do the TRT solo in 5 days last September, and managed about 3.5 days and 110+ miles before getting off the trail due to a painful bruised foot (?). It was a lot of miles (especially with shorter daylight in late September) to do day after day (33/mpd), at least for me. I did it very light in a Golite Ion pack.

I went counter-clockwise from Echo Lake. I resupplied at Kingsbury Market, and was going to in Tahoe City, but I bailed before then.

It's a great trail to do very fast with a tiny pack, and it's a beautiful trail. If you have time, do Christopher's Loop on the NE side and climb Mt. Tallac from Gilmore in Desolation. If you can avoid it, try to do the NE section on a day that DOESN'T have mountain bikes (every other day) - I hit it on a (yikes) Sunday bike day, and the amount of bikes coming down at me was insane.

Water was scarce on the E/NE side in September for sure. I got water at Star Lake, at Kingsbury Market, Spooner Lake, spring before Ophir Creek, Ophir Creek was running, then Gray Lake (GREAT water at spring coming into lake). Gray Lake is off the trail slightly - just go down to it, and then back up to trail on the other side). You'll have other springs, etc. running, such as water coming off Freel/Jobs Sister area, etc. But make sure to carry enough so you aren't pushing dehydration to unknown water sources, of course.

Have you done hikes of 30+ MPD before? For me, one day is easy, but 3+ days start adding up on the body, at least w/o lots of training ahead of time, or being part of a longer hike (e.g. PCT). Either way, take care of your feet!

If you have any questions about the trail, logistics, etc. I'd be happy to try to answer them - I also did the whole thing clockwise in 2003 (albeit much more slowly).

----------------

A few comments on your (great) geat list:

The bugs might still be out and even bad then, so be prepared as the threads above mentioned. With bad mosquitoes, I like to get indoors (e.g. Tarptent Contail), but with the miles you are doing, you'll be hiking til dark and turning in, so a tarp/bivy should be good. The bivy is likely pretty unnecessary otherwise - it might be summer thunderstorms, but most likely just afternoon stuff (not days of rain!). It's been thunderstormy lately. Your sleep/shelter system is light and looks good.

Montbell UL Down Inner Jacket / Hoody - Is this to help push your sleeping quilt down to a good temp? Otherwise you really won't need these. I hiked in September on both my TRT hikes, and only needed a Puffball vest and windshirt (e.g. Houdini). I find the windshirt is a great item for warmth early in the morning, against wind, anti-bug, etc. Very versatile.

Marmot Mica - If you go the tarp route, you could think about a MLD Pro PonchoTarp in the future - I have one and it's probably all the rain protection I need in most CA mountain conditions in the summer (and doubles as a tarp).

Compass - you won't need this. You can't lose the trail if you want (at least now that the snow is gone).

Ul utility cord for bear bag(25') - I don't bear bag up there, but it might give you peace of mind if you do. But I wonder if 25' is cutting it a bit close to being too short? Dunno.

Map - which map are you using? I like the one with the trail map on one side and the elevation profile, etc. on the other. Let's you know what kind of climbs are coming up, etc.

Edited by DaveT on 06/01/2009 10:25:00 MDT.

Aaron Zuniga
(gliden2) - F

RE:TRT Gear List 09 on 06/01/2009 16:09:03 MDT Print View

Hey Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences on the TRT:)Sorry to hear about your brused foot. It sounds like you were traveling at a good pace.
As for water, the trail starts to get drier once you leave Tahoe City. My plan is to have a cold drink cache at the Brockaway Summit Trailhead. That way i can fuel up and stay hydrated till i make up to Gray Lake, just a .5 mile of trail. September is much later than my July 5 start date, which would rule out a lot of water sourcs even on a good snow year, Right? Im still undecided on what pack to use. I would like to as light as possible, and the Murmur is 9.5 oz savings. I think it can easily handle my 5.6 lb BPW+2-3 liters of water+ 3.5 lbs food, but the Conduit will do it with ease. Should i test the Murmur's capability to carry a 15+ lb load?
I do have experience with big mile, mutiple days and have been training for the hike the last month. I hope that it will be enough to pull it off:)we'll just have to see. I'll also be trying a pair of Inov8 Roclite 315's on this hike. Great comfort, support,grip, and UL!
This trip im staying focused on completing the trail in under 5 days, so side trips will have to wait:( I lived in SLT for 5 years and have hiked Tallac, Dicks, and Ralston in the past. I look forward to going back to bag some others in the future.

On to the Gear Talk-

Yeah im anticipating some bugs. I added a GG dropper bottle of DEET, and hope to keep moving fast enough for them to be a problem. Those idiots love me too:( Yeah the bivy is just a good versitile, UL item in the sleep system that i would hate to leave out. Especially since my quilt is so light, i dont want to jeperdize any sleep that i will be needing to maintain the 33+ mile pace.
The jacket is like you said to boost my quilt. I imagine an insulated vest would do the job...but i missing this from my gear closet.
I love the idea of the poncho tarp! I already have an ID Pertex Wind Jacket that i could pair with it, and leave the Mica at home. But the Mica is brand new and UL so i want to test it on the hike. I still haven't picked up my Catbird Tarp yet, so the poncho tarp is still a good possibility! Thanks for that!
I knew the compass was un-needed! Consider it gone!
Ok so maybe 25' is cutting it a bit close. The stuff i soo light that i could add 10' more without notice. what do you do with your food? Canister?Jedi mind tricks?

The map i'll be using is the Take It Outdoors TRT edition. It sound like the one you mentioned with the elevation profile on one side-trail on the other. It's a great map and makes planning the day and knowing whats ahead easily evident! No brainer.

Thanks Again Dave for your comments! You helped me consider and re-evaluate my sleep system and other gear. That what i was looking for when i posted this thread:)

Later,
Aaron

Roger Caffin

Re: RE:TRT Gear List 09 on 06/01/2009 16:27:49 MDT Print View

> I knew the compass was un-needed! Consider it gone!

Personal opinion only: I never ever travel without a compass AND a map. NEVER.

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 06/01/2009 16:55:02 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
TRT gear list. on 06/01/2009 16:31:53 MDT Print View

> As for water, the trail starts to get drier once you leave Tahoe City.

Yes, it's a long dry haul out of Tahoe City up to Gray Lake. A water cache wouldn't be a bad idea. When I did it in 2003, I got water at that one marginal pond, and then at Gray Lake. Gray Lake is really close to the trail, and you can drop down a trail to it, and hike back up to meet the trail again (you don't have to backtrack up the same path).

> September is much later than my July 5 start date, which would rule out a lot of water sourcs even on a good snow year, Right?

I suppose, but the more seasonal sources are more frequent in the places that already have good water. It's just pretty dang dry on the NE/E side in general! I always carry enough water to get to the next definite source, and consider any other water as a bonus (training from the PCT). You'll definitely have water sources I didn't have on either of my hikes.

> Should i test the Murmur's capability to carry a 15+ lb load?

I don't know much about the Murmur. I did the hike with a 10oz (?) Golite Ion, which has since been replaced with a more capable MLD Prophet 2009. I was carrying 3.5L of water at the most, and probably wished I had more on hand - the hike from above Spooner to that creek before Ophir (going counter-clockwise) was hot and dry and long - I choose not to do the long descent to Marlette for water. In general, I dislike trying to push the suspension/rating of a pack tooo much for tooo long.

> I'll also be trying a pair of Inov8 Roclite 315's on this hike. Great comfort, support,grip, and UL!

My 2008 hike was my first in those Salomon XA-Comp 3 shoes, but I do wonder if just a little more burliness/support in the sole would've helped my feet. I usually hike in Vasque Velocity's. Either way, rest your feet when you can, and soak them in cold streams on water breaks!

> Ok so maybe 25' is cutting it a bit close. The stuff i soo light that i could add 10' more without notice. what do you do with your food?

Yeah, you don't always have a good branch at the minimum height, so I'd carry 35' or so just to not fuss too much. I carry a bear canister where required; I sleep with my food otherwise (while following all the usual bear issue minimization techniques too). YMMV.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
roger. on 06/01/2009 16:34:27 MDT Print View

mr. moderator.

you might need to moderate yourself.

we all carry different tools for different conditions. in sunny california in the mountains with a map on a well-marked trail in the summer, it might be less necessary than in your very different hiking experiences.

so... i call total B***S**T on your total B***S**T call. :)

-------
Hi Dave
You are quite right and I apologise for the excess. I should not have used that abbreviation, and have edited my own posting to remove it.
However, please note what I wrote: 'personal opinion'. I did not say anyone else had to do the same.

Cheers
Roger Caffin
Online Community Monitor

Edited by rcaffin on 06/01/2009 16:54:12 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: TRT in July on 06/01/2009 18:19:48 MDT Print View

>> Im still up in the air between the Mumur and the Conduit.

I have both and around 15lbs it is a toss up. I just did 60 miles with the Murmur, and it handled 17lbs just fine. I was carrying 4 liters of water each morning, and consuming as I went. Towards the end of each day, my shoulders were a little bit sore, but I just cinched up the waist belt to move to load to my hips. Each morning I felt fine. The pack can handle it.

Aaron Zuniga
(gliden2) - F

RE:TRT on 06/01/2009 21:08:02 MDT Print View

Roger- I normally always travel with a compass and map. But as others have said on this thread the trail is heavily traveled and well marked. Also the map i will be traveling with identifies places to camp, trail junctions, and water sources very nicely:) So in this situation i think i will leave the compass at home.
Hey Dave,
Yeah that cache is gonna be a good idea. The trail ascends close to 4,000 from Tahoe City TH(lowest point on trail) to Relay Peak,which is the highest point on the trail.I will definitely will be getting water at Gray Lake. That way i can drink water copiously on the way up and power through it:D Im thinking i'd rather carry the water than have to deal with going to an off trail source.
After speaking with Grant from Gossamer Gear he mentioned that my 6 lb BPW would be the max i could go in this pack. Also that the pack is not recommended for loads over 20 lbs or for hauling lots of water. Besides the 2 bottle holders on the sides of the pack i will most likely carry an additional liter inside the main pack body. Thats over 6 lbs of water+3+lbs of food+ 5.6 BPW. This could potentially stress the pack and affect the way it carries. But i figure since you said the max water you carried was 3.5 liters, than i should be fine with the lighter pack. I just got the Murmur and don't have any experience traveling with more than 2 liters. I want to travel as light as possible, but don't want to destroy a brand new pack. This is piece of SUL gear that needs be treated like SUL gear.
The Inov8's are great! it's tough to even consider another shoe anymore:)
Sleeping with food, i haven't heard of that before in the Sierra's-sounds kinda risky. No problem with da bears visiting your camp for snacks?

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
trt gear list. on 06/01/2009 23:05:58 MDT Print View

Yes, I recall the climb from Tahoe City as being a long, slow continuous uphill. There is one water source on the trail, but it was a algae-ish pond when I hit it in September of 2003. I treated it and drank it, but it wasn't ideal. I forget the name of the lake (pond).

In 2008, I only carried probably 3L capacity or so when I think about it. I had two smaller bottles (0.5L) bungeed on the shoulder straps, AR-style, and a 2+ liter platy in the main pack body. It was a stretch on the E/NE side, since I camelled up and filled up at Spooner Lake, then camped overnight, and hiked much of the next day to the spring before Ophir on those 3L. I was definitely a bit dehydrated when I arrived there. I'm relatively able to deal with dehydration, camelling up, and stretching miles between water (skills learned on the PCT!), so YMMV. If I had a pack the held water better than the Golite, I would've taken a 4L capacity at that time of year (two 1L aquafina bottles and a 2L platy).

Re: sleeping with food. I will not recommend anyone else do it, and don't want to start another thread about it, but I slept with my food every day for 5 months on the PCT, and almost every other time I've been in the CA mountains, and I have never ever had a bear encounter. That also means "stealth" camping (a term open for debate), not necessarily cooking at your final campsite, and probably smelling so bad that a bear would be aware of me. YMMV. I use a bear canister in all areas where they are required (new approved Bearvault).

If you hang your food, I'd recommend the PCT Hang Method (google it if you aren't aware of it).

Anyway, you'll have a blast. If you do 33+ mile days all the way around, I'll definitely tip my hat to ya!

Other gear questions:
Down jacket + hoody + rain jacket? All necessary?
Balaclava needed with hoody?
No camera? I always carry one.
No ipod? Always comes along on long mpd trips.
No watch? (one of my most important navigation tools) Sunglasses?
Ibuprofen instead of aspirin? (anti-inflammatory)
Benadryl (I always carry a couple, for allergic reactions and sleep aid)
Toilet kit - paper, lighter, alcohol gel in ziplock?
Toothbrush (with or w/o paste or powder)?

Edited by DaveT on 06/01/2009 23:16:25 MDT.