November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Prototype suggestions?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Prototype suggestions? on 05/30/2009 08:32:01 MDT Print View

Hi, all-

I want to gain experience making sleeping bags, etc. My conundrum is that I already own a gazillion of bags and such.

My initial thought was to make a series of 30-40*F degree bags, since I could get the practice of making the bags while using less down (and less money!). But I've already got something like 4 bags in that range. Also have a 0*F and -40*F. Eventually I'll make a better winter bag. Maybe a 10*F? Like I said, I don't really need them, but I want to get better at making them.

So, what sorts of bags should I make to be cost effective yet functional? Have others in my situation basically made bags for the cost of materials and beer for friends? And/or should I stick with my "original" plan and make a series of summer bags? Do I just bite the bullet, buy the down, and make a colder weather bag?

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Will Test for Down on 05/30/2009 15:21:13 MDT Print View

I don't know the answer to any of your questions Brad, but if you need any field testers sign me up! ;)

mark cole
Bags on 05/30/2009 15:34:15 MDT Print View

Why don't you ask if people want you to make bags (or quilts) for them. I might be interested .

Jeremy Greene
(tippymcstagger) - F

Locale: North Texas
Re: Prototype suggestions? on 05/30/2009 17:41:45 MDT Print View

I opened an old duvet with some broken quilting. I am using it to get the hang of working with down.

Perhaps sacrifice 1 of your bags? You'll learn the construction by taking it apart. Make a simple 1st project as a trial. You can always re-use (most of) the down.

Don Meredith
(donmeredith) - F

Locale: SouthEast
Prototype suggestions on 05/30/2009 20:26:06 MDT Print View

I'd consider paying for a materials and your trouble for a lightweight summer quilt. I've seen some of your earlier work and I'm pretty impressed.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Prototype suggestions? on 06/01/2009 15:39:09 MDT Print View

Hey, gang-
Wow! That was kinda unexpected. Thanks for your interest! I'd like to sew up a few things before getting "demos" out there. My skills just aren't up to snuff yet.

I'm thinking maybe a really thin summer bag, 50 degree-ish, a 10-15* bag, and a subzero bag at this point. I might just sew up a bunch of patterns out of sheets, muslin and plastic to see what works. You know, maybe I should just make a few "fun" bags out of silnylon 2nds and synthetic fill. I'm trying to come up with a clean draft tube design along with the rest of the fun. I'll keep you posted!

Edited by 4quietwoods on 06/01/2009 15:40:06 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Prototype suggestions? on 06/01/2009 16:37:04 MDT Print View

Hi Brad

> a few "fun" bags out of silnylon 2nds and synthetic fill.

Unless they are for below 20 F I am not sure about the 'fun' bit! Sweat bag.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Prototype suggestions? on 06/01/2009 17:28:11 MDT Print View

Hey Brad,
Here is an idea for your 40-50* bag.
I love the one I made.

I would use Momentum for the shell and 2.5 yards of pre-quilted insulation/ inner shell from Seattle Fabrics.

The insulation is quilted to a taffeta, so you only need 1 top layer.

Just purchase 6 ounces of down and add it into the sewn-through quilted baffles.

Then sew the top layer on the outer edges.
Now you have a very weather-proof bag that you wont need to use a bivy with when sleeping under a tarp.

Edited by awsorensen on 06/01/2009 17:33:13 MDT.