Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus Video Review
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus Video Review on 05/29/2009 19:43:58 MDT Print View

I finally got around to finishing my review of the GG Mariposa Plus. I hope you find it useful: http://jasonklass.blogspot.com/2009/05/gossamer-gear-mariposa-plus-review.html

Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com
Re: Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus Video Review on 05/29/2009 19:47:41 MDT Print View

Nice work on the GG Mariposa video, as usual. You were able to really show the versatility of such a great pack which pictures simply don't do justice. I also think it was appropriate to mention how GG really looks at small stuff to satisfy their customers (i.e. configuration patterns of their shock cord, optional pockets, optional frame and foam padding, etc.).

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

GG Packs on 05/29/2009 19:59:15 MDT Print View

Thanks! Yes, that's one of the things I like most about Gossamer Gear: their attention to detail. It tells you that real hikers develop their products--not just marketing people.

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Locale: Virginia
Re: GG Packs on 05/29/2009 21:10:33 MDT Print View

Cool video. Have you ever tried the pack with clothes in the straps? I found it much more comfy without the foam and with socks in the shoulder straps.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus Video Review on 05/30/2009 05:10:41 MDT Print View

Great video review, Jason. Congrats on your wedding!

I do miss you wearing your bandana in your videos, though.

David Stapleton
(KamperDave) - F

Locale: VA, DC, MD
Re: Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus Video Review on 05/30/2009 05:50:52 MDT Print View

Very well timed review for me as I'm in the process of migrating from lightweight to UL and this is one of the packs I'm considering. Thanks!!

-Dave

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Re: Re: GG Packs on 05/30/2009 15:15:56 MDT Print View

Hey Rick,
No, I haven't tried it. Mostly it's just because I don't want to keep messing around with putting things in and pulling things out of the straps. It's more convenient for me to just leave the foam in there and forget. I suppose I will test it out anyway just out of curiousity. Maybe if I had a long trip where I was taking more stuff and space was a concern, I would use the straps for storage.

Stephen Cohen
(esteban)

Locale: Southeast U.S.
Re: Re: Re: GG Packs on 05/30/2009 15:51:51 MDT Print View

I use a shorter piece of foam at the top of the strap leaving a good 8 inches or so at the bottom for socks and glove liners. The foam stays on the tops of my shoulders and I still have room for some extras.

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Locale: North East
Re: Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus Video Review on 05/30/2009 19:03:09 MDT Print View

Good job Jason. Thanks for sharing on the forum.

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
video review on 05/30/2009 19:19:18 MDT Print View

Very detailed and helpful review. The video was great.

Edited by johnk on 05/31/2009 14:29:13 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: video review on 05/31/2009 01:22:46 MDT Print View

Dang... the PC in my hostel won't let me view your video! :(

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: video review on 05/31/2009 02:53:36 MDT Print View

Hi Ben

Where's the hostel?

Cheers

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: on 05/31/2009 05:29:47 MDT Print View

Hi Roger:

Here is the hostel -- in Poznan, Poland. It opened just 12 days ago, so everything is brand spanking new -- and almost no customers. In fact, I may be the ONLY guest tonight (unless people start showing up). A bed costs 60 zl (US$19) and I have an 8-bed dorm room all to myself. OK, so the decor is a bit effeminate; but hey, it's cheap and new and clean. :)

Edited by ben2world on 05/31/2009 05:55:08 MDT.

Rick Cheehy
(kilgoretrout2317) - F

Locale: Virginia
Re: Re: on 05/31/2009 07:06:08 MDT Print View

Poland! The motherland. I hope no light bulbs burn out!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: on 05/31/2009 07:13:38 MDT Print View

This reminds me... I need to ask the Poles here whom they use for their jokes!

EDIT: The young lady working the front desk at my hostel say Poles use either Germans or Russians as the butt of their jokes. (I didn't mention to her anything about 'Polish jokes' though.)

Edited by ben2world on 05/31/2009 07:18:54 MDT.

Stephanie Cheehy
(mrscheehy) - F
Re: Re: on 05/31/2009 07:48:41 MDT Print View

How many Germans does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Zero," Ve haff vays of making you change lightbulbs!"

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: Ethnic Jokes on 05/31/2009 10:39:14 MDT Print View

Q: Why is there so little crime in Germany?
A: It is against the law.

You have to have lived in Germany to understand why this is funny. Trust me- it's hilarious.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus Video Review on 06/01/2009 00:17:15 MDT Print View

Very nice.

I like gnocci too, but not many places serve it these days.

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Foam pads or not on 06/01/2009 14:23:55 MDT Print View

First, I don't know anything about Polish gnocci, but, I do know the best gnocci in the world is made by Argentines.

Back on topic:

I almost always use socks in my shoulder straps and gloves in the hip belt. Quite comfortable. I often pack with nothing in either of them, especially, if I don't have much in my pack. I've worried about my socks/gloves getting wet while it rains but I don't seem to remember that being a problem.

For me the Gossamer Gear Mariposa is a great pack. The problem I find is that I never fill it up and have to use the compression straps to tighten it up. If I had the money I would buy a Gorilla because I think it's a bit smaller with the same features.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Foam pads or not on 06/01/2009 15:44:29 MDT Print View

I put one sock in each shoulder strap on my Murmur, and it is plenty comfortable. I have carried up to 17 lbs in it.