The Mystique 2 is a Clip Flashlight look-a-like for half the price. http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/ALPSMountaineeringMystique.htm I have seen the Mystique 2 for $100 on Amazon, and $100 at the REI outlet (they call it the Comet). Scout Direct price is a buck or two less.
My Mystique 2 with rain fly, 1 tie out line, 6 aluminum stakes, Ziploc for stakes, thin plastic drop cloth, and poles (no stuff sacks) is 1970 g.
- Great weight for $100 double walled tent
- 8' long
- enough inside room with 2 people to sit-up, lay down w/o touching sides, bring in some gear
- heavy condensation on the inside of the rain fly (South/Central TX camping), but inside room stays bone dry
- 2 doors
- easy to set up
- 985 g / person (2 people) is a great (but not superior) rain/bug shelter weight
- 1970 g for 1 person is a mediocre but acceptable rain/bug shelter weight (I solo a lot when out with the boys - YPT, ya know?)
- 2 x vestibules big enough for small packs, gear, boots (a full size frame pack might not fit)
- great ventilation if the rain fly doors are tied up
- 12 nights in it now and no visible wear
- not free standing; requires stakes to put up (tough to drive stakes at Enchanted Rock)
- rain pooled on the rain fly above feet requiring one tie out line and stake to remedy (little extra weight)
- opening the rain fly with heavy condensation on it from the inside results in a couple drips of water on the arm opening it
- top venting rain fly doesn't seem to do much for air flow when doors are zipped closed (but I've never seen a top venting rain fly actually improve air flow much anyway).
- not good for star gazing even w/o the rain fly
Overall, I think the Mystique 2 is a great 2 man double walled budget light weight tent. I agree that a tarp tent, double rainbow, or clip flashlight would be a weight improvement but at significant cost.
acronym 6/7/2009 3:51 PM