Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Outside Magazine's guide to "ultra-light" backpacking
Display Avatars Sort By:
Allison Sayre
(TeamAlli) - F

Locale: PNW
Outside Magazine's guide to "ultra-light" backpacking on 05/27/2009 19:02:42 MDT Print View

http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/200905/ultralight-backpacking-gear.html

Thought you guys might enjoy this. Among their recommendations:
15 oz stove
21 oz cookset
24 oz sleeping bag
54.4 oz tent

Edited by TeamAlli on 05/27/2009 19:03:46 MDT.

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Re: Outside Magazine's guide to "ultra-light" backpacking on 05/27/2009 19:13:28 MDT Print View

Thanks Alli.

To be fair, it's not a bad list for someone new to lightweight. Plenty of Exos, Inov8 390, and Marmot Hydrogen owners here. And the tent is a two man (kinda) free-standing. Cookset and stove is overkill when you can have a small canister and 5oz greasepot.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Outside Magazine's guide to "ultra-light" backpacking on 05/27/2009 19:20:01 MDT Print View

Probably half the weight of whatever Backpacker magazine is recommending now.

George Phoenix
(perrito)

Locale: Joisey
Re: Outside Magazine's guide to "ultra-light" backpacking on 05/27/2009 19:25:27 MDT Print View

These guys are pathetic. Most of these items are certainly their advertisers' light items. The term "ultralight" is ridiculously misused as a catch phrase far too often. Too bad there's no place for a comment on the page.

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
Re: Re: Outside Magazine's guide to "ultra-light" backpacking on 05/27/2009 19:40:01 MDT Print View

the stove and cook system should be lighter otherwise I could see a lightweight backpacker carrying the tent or anyone that can't wrap their head around a tarptent or tarp setup. my 2 person cook system weighs about 12oz, and my solo weighs 4.5oz... including the stove to pot to spork to lighter.....

Allison Sayre
(TeamAlli) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Outside Magazine's guide to "ultra-light" backpacking on 05/27/2009 21:05:49 MDT Print View

Sure, those three items are great. But a 21-ounce cookset? Like a previous poster said, you can just use a k-mart greasepot (mine weighs 3.625 ounces without the strainer), which costs $7. That's 1/10th of the price of the kit they mentioned. And it's even more bizarre because the Eta-Express is like a jetboil, it comes with a pot.

Maybe I'm annoyed because in my outside e-mail it was advertised as "world's lightest gear". No mention of tarps, alc stoves, or the NeoAir for dog's sake.