What kind of snake?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Kremers
(DKremers) - F
What kind of snake? on 05/26/2009 20:26:04 MDT Print View

not the best place to put this but not sure where else to put it.

snake

Edited by DKremers on 05/26/2009 20:27:51 MDT.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
rattle rattle rattle on 05/26/2009 20:28:49 MDT Print View

looks like a rattler

Daniel Kremers
(DKremers) - F
rattler on 05/26/2009 20:31:36 MDT Print View

hehe should have been more specific. its definitly a rattler. not a western diamond back. i was in the Lightner Peak area in the south sierras around 6k feet. didn't know rattlers went that high so was curious to know what type of rattler it is.

side note: he really didn't care i was there but i gave him a wide bearth and hiked up the hill around him.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

california herb range maps on 05/26/2009 20:36:58 MDT Print View

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/snakesmaps.html

my guess: Crotalus oreganus oreganus

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

btw: i've seen rattlers over 7000ft on 05/26/2009 20:39:01 MDT Print View

in desolation (horsetail falls) & have heard of them that high on the east slope sierras (taboose creek trail)

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: btw: i've seen rattlers over 7000ft on 05/26/2009 22:19:44 MDT Print View

The rangers in the Owens Valley will tell you that they can be found as high as 8,000'. But very seldom. I have been on the Shepherd Pass trail over 40 times and have yet to see a rattler, even down at the trailhead. OTOH, when running the Wild Wild West Marathon down by Lone Pine, a few miles south, I came across a rattler two years in a row, one of which was huge, but that was down around 4500' or so. I think they start to peter out pretty rapidly above 6000', based on my experience. It still pays to watch where you step though. I extend my poles out almost to max length and probe ahead of me under rock piles and brush on east side trails until I get up to around 7000'. Paranoid, I guess.