Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Jam2 - Good Fit for my Wife?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Got 2 Jams on 08/08/2009 10:56:24 MDT Print View

Yeah,

I got excited over at another Jam2 thread and bought 2, a med and a large.

I already seam gripped the shoulder strap bar tacks, inside and out, SO.......I can't return them, and may possibly sell one or both packs?

I've loaded both packs, and then loaded and compared them to my ULA Ohm, and there is no comparison. The Ohm clearly blows the Jam2 away.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Jam 2 on 08/08/2009 11:32:10 MDT Print View

Hi Mike - what load did you use in both packs? Thanks.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Re: Re: Jam 2 on 08/08/2009 12:08:51 MDT Print View

Brad: "I guess my question is simple: why carry an uncomfortable pack for a few days that isn't transferring weight well, when you could get a pack with a frame for about the same weight."

Keep in mind that I'm not in the market for a pack. My wife is looking for a pack and her pack is going to weigh 15lbs max, so I need to find her a pack that works well for that.

If there is more weight then I will be carrying it in my Jam. You could argue that I need a framed pack for these rare occasions, but the reality is that I already bought the Jam2 and my wife would shoot me if I bought another pack so soon after. So if there is a situation where I need to carry a big load then I'll just have to live with my Jam and hope the weight drops fast.

I will check out those other light packs you mention though. I do like how the Jam comes in a womens specific version though and how it has foam in the back. With are both using NeoAir pads so we aren't rolling them up as a frame.

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: Re: Re: Jam 2 on 08/08/2009 12:09:11 MDT Print View

Now there are some good points Brad. The Mariposa is a marvelous pack and you can leave the stays at home if you like. I've never used an Ohm but their packs are brilliant too.

And if you go Mariposa or Ohm, you're into cottage industry, which is very cool.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Re: Re: Re: Jam 2 on 08/08/2009 12:18:55 MDT Print View

One thing I'm wondering is what your wife's torso measures... in other words, at 5'6" she might measure for a medium frame, in which case she could wear your medium Jam, and you could get the "load monster" Ohm or something. Or if you haven't used your pack yet, return it? The reason I'm sticking to this line of thought is that those times you're carrying 35-40 pounds you'll be at about double the weight I've found a Jam to be comfortable. Double the weight! Why suffer?

(And yes, I do carry the heavy pack in these situations, and I do understand why you'd rather be the one suffering, but personally would rather carry the extra weight comfortably so I can enjoy the trip as much as possible as well.)

David, not to stick my nose in, but a fellow BPL'er was good enough to bring an Ohm and a Catalyst into the shop for me to try on. I think we had them loaded with about 25 pounds, plus pack weight and a little stuffing. I also tried the Jam again at that time. Discounting all other experiences, even at just 25-30 pounds I found the Ohm worlds more comfortable than the Jam... and I do own a Pinnacle, so I'm a little biased toward the GoLite.

Cheers-

Edited by 4quietwoods on 08/08/2009 12:21:49 MDT.

Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Jam 2 on 08/08/2009 12:57:17 MDT Print View

David Ure wrote: Hi Mike - what load did you use in both packs? Thanks

Approx.15 lbs, with an old Walrus Tri-Star tent that weighs approx 9 lbs and an REI tent thats weighs 6 lbs

I found this is the quickest way for me to load, unload, then load another pack, for comparing load transfer and carry feel or comfort.