Do electrolytes "survive" chlorine & char. filters?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kent C.
(kent) - M

Locale: High Sierra
Do electrolytes "survive" chlorine & char. filters? on 05/25/2009 16:27:26 MDT Print View

In the past I've used a pump filter and then added electrolyte tabs (Nuun and Camelback) to water...easy.

Now I'm switching to chlorine drops with a Frontier Pro filter.

Have searched the forums - no "hits" on this.

So,
1). does anyone know if the chlorine (household bleach) "destroys" (or otherwise negatively affects) the electrolytes?

2). does the charcoal filter eliminate the electrolytes?

Can I fill up with dirty water, drop in the chlorine and electrolytes, wait, drink through the filter, and still get my electrolytes?!

Thanks!

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Do electrolytes "survive" chlorine & char. filters? on 05/25/2009 18:23:27 MDT Print View

1). does anyone know if the chlorine (household bleach) "destroys" (or otherwise negatively affects) the electrolytes?

No. It only removes organic matter

2). does the charcoal filter eliminate the electrolytes?

It won't elminate sodium, not sure about potassium (but I think it is OK). Anything else in your electrolytes?

Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Re: Re: Do electrolytes "survive" chlorine & char. filters? on 05/25/2009 21:59:37 MDT Print View

"Anything else in your electrolytes?"

How about sugars or other carbs? Some endurance stuff is a mixture of electrolytes and carbs -- I have always assumed that passing such a drink through a filter that has a charcoal element would not be good. Am I unnecessarily worried?

-- MV

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Do electrolytes "survive" chlorine & char. filters? on 05/25/2009 22:05:53 MDT Print View

As Lynn said, a charcoal filter won't strip out everything, but you should assume that some of the carbs etc may well be stripped out.
The simplest solution may be to add whatever after you have filtered it?

Cheers

Kent C.
(kent) - M

Do electrolytes "survive" chlorine & char. filters? on 05/26/2009 02:11:54 MDT Print View

>> "anything else in your electrolytes?"

Looking at the label of CamelBak's "Elixir", it's mostly sodium and potassium compounds. I don't see anything that, to me (with a Very untrained eye), looks like carbs.

I don't have a container of Nuun handy.

Very helpful info on the carbs issue though, as I've thought of switching to Hammer (HEED, or another of their products), which does indeed have other ingredients (carbs).

Edited by kent on 05/26/2009 04:05:19 MDT.

Charles G.
(Rincon) - M

Locale: Desert Southwest
Do electrolytes "survive" chlorine & char. filters?" on 05/26/2009 07:42:37 MDT Print View

As already noted, electrolytes will not be affected by a free chlorine or iodine water treatment.

If you run anything containing dissolved carbohydrates through charcoal it will almost immediately choke the charcoal. Activated charcoal is used in water treatment because it has a very high internal surface area combined with an affinity for many organic compounds. These are adsorbed on the surface area of the charcoal. If you run a solution high in glucose or HFCS through a charcoal bed the adsorbtive capacity of the charcoal will quickly become saturated.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Do electrolytes "survive" chlorine & char. filters? on 05/26/2009 10:24:45 MDT Print View

Right, you do not want to load up charcoal (or any other filter medium) with sugars because you'll quickly create a bacteria nursery. Filter then mix is the needed order.

Also: household bleach?

Cheers,

Rick

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Do electrolytes "survive" chlorine & char. filters? on 05/26/2009 11:19:23 MDT Print View

Get your water, treat for time required, then add your mix. Simple and you have no worries.

Any reason to just bypass the filter and use Aquamira or MicroPur instead? That is the simplest around.

Kent C.
(kent) - M

Do electrolytes "survive" chlorine & char. filters? on 05/26/2009 22:54:20 MDT Print View

Thanks so much to all for, once again, sharing your knowledge so freely!

>> Sarah: Using filter to stop large nasties (mainly giardia) so I don't have to wait 3-4 hrs for bleach. Other reason for filter is the carbon element to eliminate chem. taste.

Thanks again...will surely keep the carbs out of my filter!

Happy Trails